Got it.........

All the best with your new car! Design is much improved over the SII to be fair and any awkward lines have disappeared. Choosing the SEL makes all the difference too with the extra toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more. I liked the BMW but the difference in ride quality is night and day.

I think it may have had something to do with the run flats but I could feel every bump in the road.

I can see nothing in the interior that seems inferior to the BMW, and I mean nothing.

It will be nice to drive a car where I can just chill and enjoy the experience, and just enjoy a smooth relaxed ride.

Thanks for posting. 

I'm in similar position, private buyer looking for a decent size dog and child friendly car to run for the next 10 years.

I've also been having the SE / SEL debate with myself, mostly drawn the the SEL though.

When you've a little more mileage, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the manual gearbox as that's most likely the one I'll go for given the DSG's seem to be somewhat a lottery as a long term runner.

Regards

ASD

Hi Decto.

It really is too early to tell at the moment, but so far all I can say is the gearbox is excellent. 

The BMW 1 Series box was very notchy and did not feel great at times. The VW one is silky smooth in comparison.

I know that it will loosen up and become even better. This is one area that has really impressed me actually; it really is a joy to use.

Some of you may recall a post a while back titled ; "What would you do?".

In it I asked for opinions on which specification was better; the SE or SEL Executive for a humble family man making a private purchase.

Some of you kindly offered advice which was very much appreciated.

Well today I drove from Birmingham to Southampton (for 9:30 a.m.) to collect my Skoda Superb 1.4 Tsi Act SEL Executive in Business Grey.

What a beautiful car. I have driven some nice BMW, VW and Mercedes cars in the past few years, but can honestly say that this car is nicer than all of them.

I know it is early days, but what a pleasant place to sit; so relaxing and well thought out. The buttons are exactly where they should be.

I have already had a neighbour come over and comment on what a truly beautiful car it is. I work as a design engineer, and naturally appreciate when something is well engineered. There is not a line wasted on this car, the design is perfect from an engineer's point of view. Well done Skoda.

The journey back gave a fuel consumption of 48.6 mpg from the Maxidot. That is truly incredible, when compared to my BMW 1 Series 116d which did the outward journey with a fuel consumption of 52 mpg.

The badge snob in me is dead.......long may it continue.

Got the same car as you (hatch) currently sitting in Sherness so not much longer ;o) As for the engineering design, (me being very patriotic) us Czechs have always had that skill. Did you guys know that Superb 3 and Oct3) is done by Jozef Kaban (Slovakian in fact), the same guy that designed Bugatti Veyron

Thanks for posting. 

I'm in similar position, private buyer looking for a decent size dog and child friendly car to run for the next 10 years.

I've also been having the SE / SEL debate with myself, mostly drawn the the SEL though.

When you've a little more mileage, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the manual gearbox as that's most likely the one I'll go for given the DSG's seem to be somewhat a lottery as a long term runner.

Regards

ASD

Depends on whether you plan on rolling it into a new lease every three years. In this situation the DSG could probably be made from cheese (albeit a hard one like parmesan) and it would just make it past the the line before your new car is delivered.