Columbus

Hi,

Getting my SE-L DSG in a couple of weeks. Bought it as cancelled order so couldn't add much.

Having read the manual for the Columbus head unit I am puzzled on a couple of things:

- Can I get Smartgate functions via Smartlink even without Smartgate wifi?

- Why can Columbus connect to external wifi? What does this enable?

Thanks.

- Can I get Smartgate functions via Smartlink even without Smartgate wifi?

An ambiguous question.

If you're asking can you get Smartgate functions via Smartlink if you don't have Smartgate fitted then the answer is no.

If you've got Smartgate fitted then you need to connect your mobile device to the Smartgate's built-in wifi as that's the only method of transferring vehicle data to your mobile device.

- Why can Columbus connect to external wifi? What does this enable?

To access wireless enabled storage devices, such as the WD My Passport Wireless. The device then becomes available in the Media source selection menu (WLAN).

Edited by BillyJim

Must say im no technophobe but the Columbus system appears to have a lot to it, especially when linking to a phone via Smartlink, smartgate, Mirrorlink, Android Auto, I have read the online manual three times now and looking forward SORT OF, to sitting in the car and trying to work it all out. First things first get the car coz trying to look at pictures is no substitute for a good fiddle round. Be happy for anyone who already has their car to make a video about the system to help all of us waiting out here as to what to do when we get ours.

I've found the Smartgate & mirrorlink functions totally impenetrable and can't get them work. Will be stopping at a dealer next time I pass one to help me out with it.

on mine the smartgate was there but i could not connect with the chassis number as in the manual

a dealer visit was required to reset the password ( they assumed a wrong digit was put in at the factory )

and as i had tried a few times it locked the system.