Service due already

Sooty

2.0TDi is 3 months old today and done 9200 miles and the service is due in the next 300 miles.

I've not driven it particularly hard and was hoping for 15k or more. Has anybody needed a service sooner ??

Needs a 10k lube service

Unless the dealer has switched it off, the Octavia comes with variable servicing, so 9500 is quite soon depending on the conditions the car was driven.

Sounds like the variable has been turned off to me. the cars documentation has the code for both fixed and variable and ask the dealer when it goes in what it is set at (some set it to fixed servicing at PDI, I asked them and got them to turn it back)

Sorry to hijack this but can Fabia VRS' be switched to variable servicing.

And once switched off (by a dealer) can they be reactivated.

Every dealer I know either discourages variable servicing or says it cannot be done (even on series 1 Octys).

I think dealers are just taking advantage of this but would be interested to know what the situation is.

Unless the dealer has switched it off' date=' the Octavia comes with variable servicing, so 9500 is quite soon depending on the conditions the car was driven.

Sounds like the variable has been turned off to me. the cars documentation has the code for both fixed and variable and ask the dealer when it goes in what it is set at (some set it to fixed servicing at PDI, I asked them and got them to turn it back)[/quote']

I thought 9500 was a bit soon too. I'll get them to check its set to variable when they service it.

Thanks for that.

I had the same problem with my Octavia. The service interval had been set to "fixed" rather than "variable". The dealer re-set it to variable and told me that the fixed interval had been set by the factory. Funny - I thought this should have been picked up at the pre-delivery inspection, especially since the dealership told me that the car was on variable servicing.

Regards:thumbdwn:

I've got the oposite problem. I asked for fixed but suspect that I'm on variable as I've now done more than 10,000 with no service light. Worried that it's going to cost a lot more relative to the total miles when serviced as I can't see geting into 15-20K mark with my type of commute. Annoying as the sales person even recommended that I go for fixed.

Well I spoke to the service dept today and they said its certain thats its set to fixed as they don't expect a variable service until 18 or 19k miles.

Booked in for next Tuesday and they've said they'll change it to variable. Will probably do it well to have an oil change anyway and another 18k will only be around May/June.

In fairness a doing the first oil & filter change at 10k isn't a bad thing, but with that kinda mileage I'd also prefer the variable servicing.

I agree that on the Fabia it would have been a good option too, no doubt it cant be retro-fitted though :(

How are you finding the car, on a more OT tangient, just out of interest?

Two points re: haggling over service costs.

1] The average driver doesn't know what he's going to get for the money. My Mk 1 vRS only had one service [main dealer], the annual one at about 9000 miles, it was about £140 and I'm pretty sure it only had an oil/filter change and a "look-see".

2] I was told that manufacturers are not allowed to invalidate their warranty just because servicing is not done at one of thier main dealers, so long as the place that does your service is a recognised garage and stamps your service book "officially." Anyone know if this is true??

2] I was told that manufacturers are not allowed to invalidate their warranty just because servicing is not done at one of thier main dealers' date=' so long as the place that does your service is a recognised garage and stamps your service book "officially." Anyone know if this is true??[/quote']

I believe that you can go anywhere now for your sevicing but the manufacturer has the right to invalidate your warranty if they deem that the servicing is not up to the required standard...

Well - that will cover half the franchises then :rofl:

How are you finding the car' date=' on a more OT tangient, just out of interest?[/quote']

Well I've come from 3 years and 112k miles in a Mondeo TDCi.

Good points:

Smoother

Quieter

6 speed box gives me 5 to 7mpg more

Looks better quality inside

Trip computer useful

Bad points:

Miss the heated front screen, esp at this time of year

Not as chuckable as the Mondeo

Miss the steering wheel stereo controls

Quite a small fuel tank (53 litres?) although extra mpg makes up for it

Belt-minder drives me up the wall

No hydraulic bonnet hinges mean I have to get dirty propping the bonnet up

Overall, its a nice drive. I like the extra mpg I get from it as I get paid by the mile for my company mileage. It doesn't feel as fast as the Mondeo, but from reference points on certain roads its almost exactly the same.

I'd like the good points from both and then I think we'd have the perfect car. The test will be in Sept 2007 when I have to choose to have another or something different.

2] I was told that manufacturers are not allowed to invalidate their warranty just because servicing is not done at one of thier main dealers' date=' so long as the place that does your service is a recognised garage and stamps your service book "officially." Anyone know if this is true??[/quote']

I think you can use any VAT registered garage, but the manufacturer can refuse to honour the warranty if non-OE parts have been used and have caused a failure.

Getting back to Sootys original issue, I've done 20K on my 05 Octy 2 and had the same problem with service requested at 9K. Thinking back, the service indication came up not long after I'd just replenished the oil level for the first time with the handbook recommended Castrol (They do use some to begin with!). Some weeks later, whilest poking around doing the usual fluid checks, I suddenly noticed a tiny yellow sticker - 'This vehicle is filled with Shell...' oil!!! Now I'm only guessing, but it makes sense that the oil condition sensor/watsit wouldn't like a sudden change from a yellowish (Shell) oil to a greenish (Castrol) oil, so it would flag up a service due! To be on the safe side, I contacted Customer Services about the fact that my service indicator came on at 9K, when my previous Octy PD had gone to 22K before requiring service. They told me not to worry, just run it to 20K anyway! I did have the fact recorded on their computer, just in case a subsequent warranty issue arose! Thankfully, I've just had it serviced at 20K with no problems.

Hey all,

In India, Skoda has fixed the Service to every 7,500 Kms. for the Octavia Diesels.

and even the First run-in service comes due only at 7,500 Kms. The Oil and Oil Filter is changed every 7,500 Kms, where its Normal Oil, but in case of the Synthetic Oil, i am not sure when they will keep changing. also, Fuel Filter cleaned/replaced if necessary in this.

Thinking back, the service indication came up not long after I'd just replenished the oil level for the first time with the handbook recommended Castrol (They do use some to begin with!).

Mine was the other way around. It flashed up 1600 miles due till service and I was thinking that it had only used half of the litre of top-up oil I got from the dealer. Then almost immediately, the low oil level light came on, so I stopped and put the other half litre in.

No idea if it was Castrol or not, but it as from the dealer and had a Skoda label on.

I'm happy to get this service done (as I'm not paying for it) but will be unhappy if its due again within the next 15k miles.

UPDATE:

Service carried out by supplying dealer yesterday.

Lots of good points:

1.9TDi DSG courtsey car (better than Fabia, but not overly impressed, tbh)

Car ready for collection on time

Car washed for me

Service interval set to variable

Girl in service dept was a babe

Bad points:

They claim they don't know how to turn the beltminder off

Courtesy car had absolutely no diesel in it at all when I picked it up, so I had to guess how much I was going to use.

UPDATE:

Service carried out by supplying dealer yesterday.

Lots of good points:

1.9TDi DSG courtsey car (better than Fabia' date=' but not overly impressed, tbh)

Car ready for collection on time

Car washed for me

Service interval set to variable

Girl in service dept was a babe

Bad points:

They claim they don't know how to turn the beltminder off

Courtesy car had absolutely no diesel in it at all when I picked it up, so I had to guess how much I was going to use.[/quote']

I'm not sure it's possible to turn off the belt-minder even through VAG.COM which makes sense as it's a safety warning system and shouldn't be turned off. The same query i think has come up on the VW forums.

I think when it comes to dealers it's one of those 'don't ask' subjects because no dealer in his right mind is going to disable it even if it is possible.

I'm not sure it's possible to turn off the belt-minder even through VAG.COM which makes sense as it's a safety warning system and shouldn't be turned off. The same query i think has come up on the VW forums.

I think when it comes to dealers it's one of those 'don't ask' subjects because no dealer in his right mind is going to disable it even if it is possible.

I disagree - its my car and its not a legal requirement to have it, so I should have the choice.

And I've been told that VAGCOM can turn it off.

VAG COM cant turn it off.

And why would a dealer refuse to disable it? because its a safety feature and there are posible legal implications. The Octavia 2 iirc has a CAT 5 safety rating, one of the stipulations to this is that belt reminders are fitted. If you remove them you could be invalidating your insurance, no dealer is going to offer themselves up to that kind of minefield.

It annoys me. When I'm reversing it pings at me - its not illegal to not wear a seatbelt when reversing. I spend a lot of times on airfields doing 10mph on BAE sites and its not the law that I have to wear a belt there.

Its the law that you have to put your lights on at night, but I chose not to have auto lights because I know when its dark, like I know when its raining and I have to put my wipers on. Likewise I know when to put my seatbelt on without an irritating beeping. Its juvenile.

And I'm prepared to give the dealer something in writing saying that I take all responsibilty if I crash without my seatbelt on. And I'll pay more insurance if thats whats needed.

One way or the other I will get it turned off, even if it means I have to take the dashboard out myself and pull the bloody thing out.