L&K Octavia Estate 2.0 Tdi DSG - What to Add?

We are similarly looking at getting the L&K but want to add Xenons, Decent wheels etc BUT have you looked at the Superbs, there are a lot of ex demo ones around with minimal mileage on, some as low as 100 miles & they come wityh all the toys as standard + a few that arent an option on the Octy, also the superb is due to be replaced next year so even better deals are likely. Just a thought, aparently the Diesels still return 50 mpg

We are similarly looking at getting the L&K but want to add Xenons, Decent wheels etc BUT have you looked at the Superbs, there are a lot of ex demo ones around with minimal mileage on, some as low as 100 miles & they come wityh all the toys as standard + a few that arent an option on the Octy, also the superb is due to be replaced next year so even better deals are likely. Just a thought, aparently the Diesels still return 50 mpg

The 2.0 TDI is a multivalve engine and a real improvement over the 1.9. I heard that they were going to put the 2.0 TDi engine in the Superb. If thats the case and you can get one then go for it otherwise go for the octy or hold off for the Superb replacement. Is the DSG available i the Superb anyway?

The 2.0 TDI is a multivalve engine and a real improvement over the 1.9. I heard that they were going to put the 2.0 TDi engine in the Superb. If thats the case and you can get one then go for it otherwise go for the octy or hold off for the Superb replacement. Is the DSG available i the Superb anyway?

2.0 now available in the Superb:)

Is the DSG available i the Superb anyway?

I went for a test drive in a (allegedly) DSG Octy at Horners in Manchester (not the Bury Horners) and as I pulled up at the appointed time, I received a phone call saying the car I

With reference to the Sat Nav' date=' I too pondered getting an Indigo/Navigator etc, but went with the factory fit on 3 grounds. Firstly it makes the dash look nice (and that is important I think), secondly it can dead reckon it’s position if it can’t get a satellite lock (portable ones can’t) and thirdly I believe it to be less of a security risk. :) [/font']

Can't argue about appearance, but the portable TomTom GO does the dead-reckoning thing pretty well. As I can't imagine it has a built-in accelerometer, I presume that the TomTom assumes you're continuing on its planned route at the same speed. The screen goes grey instead of colour, but it does pretty well in the Blackwall Tunnel as long as you don't speed up or slow down.

And, of course, you can use it in any car you own and junk it when something far better (Galileo?) comes along. You can afford to junk it, as it's a third the price of the built-in unit....

Can't argue about appearance' date=' but the portable TomTom GO does the dead-reckoning thing pretty well. As I can't imagine it has a built-in accelerometer, I presume that the TomTom assumes you're continuing on its planned route at the same speed. The screen goes grey instead of colour, but it does pretty well in the Blackwall Tunnel as long as you don't speed up or slow down.

I thought long and hard about a portable Sat Nav, but decided that regardless of cost, the built in version was the best option for me. I remember being in Glasgow several years ago, late on a Saturday night. I had just finished a 12 hour day, it was dark and raining and I had a 210 mile drive ahead of me. Even though I was setting off from an underground car park, the Sat Nav (it was the original 2 din type in a Mark IV Golf. It looked similar to the one in the Superb) immediately started to work and even though I was continually surrounded by tall buildings the car seamlessly navigated me straight to the motorway and on towards home. I

As an ex-Glaswegian I can sympathise, Milady - the town elders ripped the guts out of the city some 30+ years ago and left the rest of us to cope as we might or might not. Yet the tiny TomTom has a cheerful and highly readable little screen right up in front of you (if that's where you stick the suction mount) and a most clear and authoritative voice (male or female, in many languages). And it has all else you describe by way of information - I'll stick with it.

Of course it's not perfect. My brother-in-law's Volvo V70 has a system that warns him of traffic accidents (but only when he's in France, for some reason) and a delicious screen which motors up out of the dash. But having seen him programming it using the indicator stalk, press by tedious press of the button for minutes, I'll again stick with the TomTom's simple touch screen.

And the TomTom came out top in this month's Computer Shopper comparative test....

Horses for courses - if you're happy with your nag I'll quit nagging you....

Hey - you've got almost the same order as us, though ours is an estate - so what's the matter with Sahara Beige? Nearly went for Flamenco Red until one arrived at the showroom as we were on the point of deciding - Dull Not-Very-Metallic Maroon, if you ask me. What was your first choice, even if you've since decided the beige is OK? Didn't think Xenons were worth it, but went for the sunroof and every safety aid on offer (you only live once). Ordered it a week ago and told 8-10 weeks delivery, so you'll get yours first. Chiz, chiz.

Can't argue about appearance' date=' but the portable TomTom GO does the dead-reckoning thing pretty well. As I can't imagine it has a built-in accelerometer, I presume that the TomTom assumes you're continuing on its planned route at the same speed. The screen goes grey instead of colour, but it does pretty well in the Blackwall Tunnel as long as you don't speed up or slow down.

I thought long and hard about a portable Sat Nav, but decided that regardless of cost, the built in version was the best option for me. I remember being in Glasgow several years ago, late on a Saturday night. I had just finished a 12 hour day, it was dark and raining and I had a 210 mile drive ahead of me. Even though I was setting off from an underground car park, the Sat Nav (it was the original 2 din type in a Mark IV Golf. It looked similar to the one in the Superb) immediately started to work and even though I was continually surrounded by tall buildings the car seamlessly navigated me straight to the motorway and on towards home. I’m told this is partly due to the fact that the unit uses the ABS sensors to calculate wheel rotation and hence distance and angles of turn, so it can dead reckon very reliably. Plus it’s got a much bigger screen area, and turn by turn indicator (with distance and road name) in the centre of the dash and it has a loud, clear and undistorted voice to tell you where you are going. Mind you that was the original 2 Din system so I hope the new version is as good.

Incidentally, I repeated this trip last night in my SEAT, which has no Sat Nav, and got totally lost (I have no sense of direction, whatsoever) and it nearly had me in tears. I think if anyone is as bad with directions as I am (I can read a map reasonably well it’s just I get disorientated very easily) and drive around 20-30K miles a year, the Nexus system is slightly easier to use and that can make all the difference (even though it’s hard to justify it on cost). Especially if you are driving alone in a strange city, very late at night and you just want to get to the motorway.

There now, I feel better for getting that off my chest:)

I also have a poor sense of direction your ladyship. It wouldn't get me in tears but I do understand what your mean though. I love my portable SatNav TBH and even when surrounded by tall buildings it's locked into 6 or 7 satellites so no probs there.

Your in-depth technical knowledge still never fails to impress me.

George

I also have a poor sense of direction your ladyship. It wouldn't get me in tears but I do understand what your mean though. I love my portable SatNav TBH and even when surrounded by tall buildings it's locked into 6 or 7 satellites so no probs there.

Your in-depth technical knowledge still never fails to impress me.

George

I’m not too bad on the techie' stuff probably because I have a technical sort of job. Although I sold cars for a couple of years or so' date=' I really work in the dreaded ‘Media’. Although this may or may not be a front for my real job as a spy for the government, but I’m sure you wouldn’t want me to tell you the truth as I would have to …………..! :eek: You understand the code of honour us undercover agents have :rofl: what I really have problems with is Computers and turning maps upside down:weeping:

Can I ask a daft question? I use the Lady E moniker because I am from the North East and the name reminds me of a lovely song by Lindesfarne. But I can’t for the life of me figure out how you get to johnnyc from George. Also are you a Ninja turtle fan? They were quite cute as I recall and are going to make a new movie soon.:orb_jacks