Ignition coil warranty?

peteRS

Through this forum I have found that there can be problems with the ignition coils on our cars,I expect if I have a problem mine will be replaced under warranty ,is this just for three years ,because a friend of mine at work whose father runs a VW Polo 3 cylinder had a misfire so clever clogs me said it was probably the coil ,now the car in question is just out of warranty but has only travelled 9K miles so the owner was a little *issed off that the coil should fail so soon after the warranty expired..............I know I will get to the point now.............he is getting three new coils fitted to his fathers car at no charge as he was told the coils have a 5yr warranty, is this the same for Skodas:thumbup:

On my 01 Y plate Octavia VRS I had the coil on no1 cylinder go the week before christmas, fixed at the road side by the AA, I went to the dealership armed with the information from this site about checking and replacing all coils and was met with confusion... A quick call to Skoda UK had all the coils checked and 2 replaced FOC as a 'Good Will' gesture... Yeah right!

Yes the 1.8T had major issues with the coils and are now covered in to a 5th year of warranty.

If the coils are of a different part number then that is not covered.

It is just a coupe of specified part numbers off the 1.8T engine that are covered.

If you are looking at replacing some coils out of warranty on a 3 cylinder the coils will not be that number.

But check with Customer Care if it is low mileage and only just out of warranty you may get some help off them.

Good luck

Sarah

what are the symtoms of a dodgy coil pack?

kit:)

Lumpy running, smell of rotten eggs, engine management light on on the dash. If you have any or all of these signs on a car with the old packs, you might consider them as a culprit.

It was my understanding that all coils should have been upgraded to .....L ( now ....N ) when Octavias were taken into any Skoda garage for servicing . However , I am unsure as to whether there is any warranty cover once they have been upgraded to this specification and the car is more than three years old .

Does the 5 year warranty apply to replaced plugs ?

This opinion is based upon an edict posted on this site a couple of years ago , which was sent to all Skoda main dealers .

What are the chances that they'll have changed them without somebody first complaining? Hmmm.

The car showed no faults on VAG-Com when it was at Awesome on Saturday.

I'll have a look at the coils and attempt to read the numbers. If they're the dodgy ones I'll try to get the dealers to change them

Have a look at the picture below in the gallery to see the differences between the 3 coil pack versions which might be fitted.

hjlcoils.jpg

The problematic H version of the coil pack is on the left. This can be identified in situ if the top of the arrowed 'slot' is visible. The J and L versions do not have the 'slot' visible when fitted. The L version is the warranty replacement for the H version if fitted, regardless of whether the H has failed.

NB: I believe that the Bulletin has now been withdrawn, which means that dealers are no longer able to replace faulty D, G and H coil packs free of charge. That isn't really surprising since it was issued well over 2 years ago and all affected cars should by now have had their coil packs checked and changed during visits to dealers for servicing/repairs. However all is not lost. It is still possible to get those versions replaced free of charge but the dealer must first make a claim to Skoda UK who will use their discretion in deciding whether or not the replacement should be free.