chippping the furb vRS

dino21

i like the fabia like its with 131bhp but i would like to have more power ,it wouldnt affect the engine life,and what do you think im going to put there 17`` should i lower it like 20 or 30 mm??thank for advice

Remap it. Like paul said filter/induction system has little effect on diesel compared to petrol.

I've been meaning to get some vag-com logs of the std filter/green filter and cupra instake pipe to see if their is a difference.

Any tuning will affect engine life and you'll also find the clutch starts slipping if you run more power too. Options are a remap (replace Skoda's ECU program with a performance one) or a tuning box (basically overfuel the car). Both see in the region of 25-30bhp increases and both invalidate your warranty ;)

The Fabia's major weakness is its handling, and I'd be sorting out that before I gave it any more power. A set of Eibach springs and dampers are a good compromise between ride comfort and improved handling. Air filter is up to you - you won't see any real gains from replacing it, although I bought one as it was cleanable and came with a lifetime guarantee so eventually I'd make my money back over paper filters. Also increases the induction noise.

Brakes can also be upgraded to the Octy 312mm ones - general consensus seems to be that this is a very worthwhile mod too....

Chris

thanks for this thread,i know about the intake it wont affect to much the power i know some about 4%,but there is gonna be better sound.my friend who is driving rallye is offering me chip and liku you said,hi will put some newer software to ecu.

i really like this brakes,do you think they would be weak with that power?

how much cost this eibach springs??

thanks for this thread' date='i know about the intake it wont affect to much the power i know some about 4%,but there is gonna be better sound.my friend who is driving rallye is offering me chip and liku you said,hi will put some newer software to ecu.

i really like this brakes,do you think they would be weak with that power?

how much cost this eibach springs??[/quote']

Springs are about

i know about the intake it wont affect to much the power i know some about 4%,but there is gonna be better sound.my friend who is driving rallye is offering me chip and liku you said,hi will put some newer software to ecu.

The "induction kit" which you are talking about wont increase power, and in most circumstances will reduce power if not correctly sheilded. Noise difference won't be much either, not like a petrol anyway that's for sure.

I think you need to read up on "Chipping" your car, if your mate is offering you a "chip" is it for your ECU? it's a piggyback one for a start meaning unlike most remaps available for the vRS it won't be uploaded via the ODBII port.

Furthermore, as far as I am aware it's not as easy as to just "put some newer software on the ECU", I suggest that you do some searching on this site about "tuning boxes" which can be bought for as little as £50 (for a digital one) and remapping (both generic and custom) which cost more £350 upwards but IMO are worth every penny and do give you more power.

Brakes, personally I upgraded to the 312mm brakes, however the standard 288mm ones are fine under most circumstances, and even after "chipping" should be ok provided you don't drive like a spaz.

Suspension, Eibach springs are £125 excluding fitting, inc VAT from JBS Auto Designs IIRC. I would also get the Seat Upper Strut Brace to compliment this (tightens steering response, reduces understeer a bit). This can be bought for £50 approx from your local Seat dealer and fits straight on. Part number can be found if you search this web site.

I have Green Air Filter £30

Cupra Intake £20 (read up on this, fits onto the standard airbox)

Jabba remap £380

195 bhp and 323 lb/ft torque on the Jabba rollers when it had 5k miles on the clock.

Hope all of the above helps.

thanks alot ,you helped me.so your wheels are octy alloys 17``,what tyres do you have there?im thinking about 215/40 17.octy alloys or oz ultraleggeras.

where did you get this all,in you local service or somewhere else.if im will put 17`` and some increasing the power do i still need to put eibachs there or i dont need it so necesarry?your telling me i should go to local SEAT car dealer and order normal cupra intake and these strut braces??

thanks for answer ,i know i want to know too much thanks again

Ok, part number for the Strut brace from your local Seat dealer is: 6L0071710

see below for a review about it:

http://www.briskoda.net/cms/BRISKODA_Technical_Guides/Skoda_Fabia/Suspension_Mods_for_Fabia_vRS/4/

Part numbers for the Intake from your local Seat dealer are:

Trumpet (connecting part) - 6LL129621

Pipe - 6LL129618

You need both of the above parts.

Alloys, I opted for the 16" vRS Octavia alloys from the Estate as it meant I could keep my standard tyres. But if you are wanting 17" Octavia alloys, the rubber you will need is 205/40 R17. Best place to look is in the "For Sale" section on this web site and on Ebay. For 16" expect to pay £150-£150, for 17" expect to pay £300-£400.

I ran my car remapped without the springs for about 2 months and handling was good providing you don't over do it. Remember that you are going a lot quicker into corners etc. The springs do help a lot IMO. You don't need the dampers to begin with (20,000 miles on just Eibach's and the standard dampers are still ok).

If you want my personal opinion about which tuner gives the most usable power I would have to say it is custom code offered by JBS auto designs in Chesterfield.

Tuners down south: Jabba, AmD

Tuners in the North: JBS

Tuners in Scotland: STAR Performance

All of the above tuners are very good and I would recommend you visit your nearest as most are very similar in terms of power output.

Hope this helps.

yes you helped me lot.dont you have any problems with the clutch?is it not slippering?i read the by that power it could start to slip.how is it with your ride?so you recommend just to swith the spring for eibachs ,best way to do it is whe i will have 20 000 miles?

Both mine and hellfires power out put is roughly the same.

34k on the clock and I have no clutch slip in every day use. I've had it a few times when I've been stupid by giving it some welly at very low revs. If you learn to drive around this then it's fine.

Mines been RR'd at a 310lb/ft (independent road) which should be about the same as hellfires.

No clutch slippage, best thing to do is not to floor it at 50 mph in 6th gear when the revs are basically 1500 rpm, obviously doing this day in day out will kill the clutch.

If you hold back until about 2k rpm you can floor it and have no worries :D It's easier than it sounds, trust me.

The ride is more composed with the Eibach's on, not bumpy or too firm, this is because they are progressive and get tighter the faster you go. If it were me I would get it remapped then add the springs later if you feel the car isn't handling good enough. Others may say different but this suited me best.

I didnt change the dampers at the same time as the springs, some people do. I thought (since I didnt have a spare £500) get the springs bought & fitted for £200 then when/if the standard dampers cant take the new springs change them. After 20,000 miles of driving with just the eibach springs the standard dampers still seem fine and I have no reason to change them at the moment.

Thank you Hellfire!!

I have been telling people that the best way to preserve the clutch is to not accelerate in 6th.

If you get a good remap and use the gears you will not have a problem with the clutch.

Anyway as you have been told by these clever people on here The Eibach spribgs are very good.

The PD160 intakes is quite good.

Get a Green Cotton and a lovely Custom-Code remap and you have pretty much got a lovely car there.

Although they are good to start a little help with them mods and the car will drive better.

Mmm and the remap it is fun you will be grinning like a Cheshire cat for ages.

Sarah