octy max power, what is it ?

i ross

James is the one who drives ours.

It has been down Bruntingthorpe and still holds a few records and that was over a year ago.

But we are now looking in to the GT30 Turbo.

I will see if I can get the gent with the GT28RS Turbo conversion to PM you with a few details.

He has been happy with his mods too.

Sarah

Interesting...

Is the power delivery quite fierce or progressive? At what sort of speed does it "get into its stride"?

With the standard turbo and remap there's a lot of low down torque and little lag which can easily overwhelm the tires in first (and second in the damp) and very driveable from tickover, but it obviously tails off at higher revs when the small turbo can't provide enough air. Presumably the bigger ones maintain the torque right through the rpm range but with a bit more lag at lower rpm.

How do you go about modifiying the ASR with software from the 4wd TT ? Don't they have ESP?

Interesting...

Is the power delivery quite fierce or progressive? At what sort of speed does it "get into it's stride"?

With the standard turbo and remap there's a lot of low down torque which can easily overwhelm the tires in first (and second in the damp) and very driveable from tickover' date=' but it obviously tails off at higher revs when the small turbo can't provide enough air. Presumably the bigger ones maintain the torque right through the rpm range.

How do you go about modifiying the ASR with software from the 4wd TT ? Don't they have ESP?[/quote']

Mine is very progressive.....not sure about speed...it's more rev related....3.5-3.8k it's in it's stride. DaveU's GT28 also is very progressive but comes in a little later.

My low boost torque curve looks like table top mountain.....can't remember the exact Nm figure but it's a minimum between 2k and 7k....very flat.

With IHI I have a EGT sensor fitted and as par tof this the ASR software is upgrade...I think. TTs do have ESP but also ASR. I think ESP distribute powers across and axle where as the tosren diff does it end to end....or something like that.

Mine is very progressive.....not sure about speed...it's more rev related....3.5-3.8k it's in it's stride.

I said speed because from my experience of powerful fwd, I'd imagine that the torque at the wheels in first and second gears would be difficult to transfer into forward motion.

My low boost torque curve looks like table top mountain.....can't remember the exact Nm figure but it's a minimum between 2k and 7k....very flat.

Nice. It seems that the 1.8T gives a good flat torque curve in most applications.

I've been pleased with my limited changes, but it's interesting to find out what can be done.

I would echo Adrians comments about the IHI its very progressive & a realy easy every day car BUT when asked it really performs. it all starts to happen quite early & theres a very wide spread of useable power.

Jabba didnt seem particularly happy with it & feel the intercooler is underplumbed so once thats sorted it should be even better :) :)

I have the 4x4 so traction obviously isnt a problem, biggest drawback at present is too low a top gear as I seem to keep hitting the limiter but that will be sorted in about 3 weeks time

How high is the 4x4's top gear?? If it's anything like the vRS then that's certainly going some....

4x4 equates to 21.8 mph/1000 rpm so with the limiter at 7400 Im maxing out at 161 mph.

The RS has higher ratios & Im actually using RS internals as part of the rebuild to get a higher top end as well as strengthening the std diff.

Ok a stronger box might have been an idea but I dont do drag starts & the 4x4 spreads the power better giving less snatch to the diff so "hopefully" it will be OK.

• Like 1

To throw a spanner in the works, for anyone who's interested I will be happy to comment on my Octy once it's back on the road after a complete engine rebuild.

Rather than go with the big turbo route to achieve the sorts of figures talked about here, I'm sticking with a small blower on a 2.0l conversion, with the expectation of great driveability and low down torque. We should see the 300 mark suppased but I'm not expecting to be able to match DaveU etc in the ultimate power stakes.

Can the car handle these sorts of figures (given a modicum common sense by the driver)? Stick some decent tyres on, up grade your suspension and (most importantly) fit a diff and your laughing, despite it being front wheel drive.

The above route, is far more expensive compared with getting a bit of piping bent and strapping on a big turbo (somewhat simplifed explanation of big turbo conversion!), so I (and no doubt others) will be interested to see what the finished product has to offer. (Currently waiting for pistons for the US, then all systems go!, erm once it's bolted back together.)

Progressive is what i liked about the GT as well - the thing about all that power and torque throught the wheels is that if you bring it in too low down the wheels are all over the place. Mine's not in it's stride until about 4 - 4.5k revs. Basically it's all about the top end for me - for out an out right speed I like everything up the top end so mine is going absolutely bonkers between 4k - 7.5k which is bang on for the 5 speed box and even better for the 6 speed (apparently - i'll confirm this when i actually get the car back :D ).

To give you an idea on how progressive it is, with my 5 spd box, I can be doing any speed in 2nd gear (on or off boost), floor it and keep going and changing up until the needle goes off the clock at 170 or whatver it is and have experienced no wheelspin whatsoever (dry obviously!). Some people can't go through 2nd gear with their K03 without wheelspin! Most of this will be down to the map - not just the characterstics of the turbo.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these 2 big turbos really - the IHI from Jabbasport has gone onto countless cars and some Octavias too and imho is better for lower down grunt, the GT28 from Impossible Performance has again gone onto countless cars and now some Octavias as well and is better suited to up the top end punch.

They both produce A LOT of power.

Both are EXTREMELY fast.

Both are not very good in the wet :D

Max power figures are great on the rolling road if thats what floats your boat & always look good in adverts & the max power mags but it dosent neccesarily make a driveable car.

Take care to choose something that gives a nice car to drive' date=' if your car is still stock have you thought of a lower figure, A decent custom map, Exhaust & intercooler should be getting you close to a reliable 250 bhp & reosnably cheaply

If you spec the Exhaust & Intercooler correctly they can be re used should you go for more power.

As for Nitrous, Kin expensive to run & really for the max power boys IMO, Also causes some spectacular engine failures

Stuart[/quote']

A wise man once wrote......

Lee - do you think the yellow beast will be back on the road by the March Leather Bottle meet? Be interesting to see what your thoughts are on the 2.0

Dave, I am intending to be there, though probably won't have the new engine full run in by then.

Lee,

how did you decide to go for a 2ltr conversion as opposed to a 1.9ltr conversion? Apparently the 1.9 conversion "squares" everything up nicely and makes the engine very sweet.

The increased capacity conversions...apparently...give much better torque characteristics and figures.

Have to agree with Dave re the delivery of power. The GT28 gives you progressive power, which is suited to front wheel drive. I always felt that the standard ko3s would spin up too low in the rev range, making the car very poor in the wet, even at low speed. I found this too annoying, which is why I chose this turbo over the IHI. This is not to say that the GT28 is better than the IHI. The IHI is a wicked bit of kit, but has different power delivery. Its down to personal preference.

The Octy Vrs will happily run 350+ bhp. How drivable it is will depend on how you have set the car up. The Map, an ATB diff, Wheel size etc, all go towards making the car more usable. My Mrs drives mine everyday without a problem and she has got a lead foot.:eek:

Four wheel drive would be the ultimate and obviously handle the power better than a fwd for off the line traction. JBS are currently developing a four wheel drive conversion for the Vrs, however it is still in the early stages.:thumbup:

Four wheel drive would be the ultimate and obviously handle the power better than a fwd for off the line traction. JBS are currently developing a four wheel drive conversion for the Vrs' date=' however it is still in the early stages.:thumbup:[/quote']

Um why not do what I did, but a 4x4 & up spec that, If you are running more power then all the Rs Brakes & suspension need to be changed anyway, Ok you get some nice seats & dials but all that can be obtained from the scrappy & if you are upgrading the seats get Reccaros.

seems a very expensive way of going about it

Lee' date='

how did you decide to go for a 2ltr conversion as opposed to a 1.9ltr conversion? Apparently the 1.9 conversion "squares" everything up nicely and makes the engine very sweet.

The increased capacity conversions...apparently...give much better torque characteristics and figures.[/quote']

Adrian, I was always of the opinion, the more cc, the more oomph out of the engine. So going for the 2.O conversion seemed the obvious choice when money was available to spend either on the engine or turbo, not both at the same time. And as previous the engine went bang, no contest there. Going for 2.0 was not that much more expensive than the 1.9, and the difference certainty would cover a IHI or GT blower conversion. Anyhow, once its on the road and run in, I will report back. :thumbup:

Adrian, I was always of the opinion, the more cc, the more oomph out of the engine. So going for the 2.O conversion seemed the obvious choice when money was available to spend either on the engine or turbo, not both at the same time. And as previous the engine went bang, no contest there. Going for 2.0 was not that much more expensive than the 1.9, and the difference certainty would cover a IHI or GT blower conversion. Anyhow, once its on the road and run in, I will report back. :thumbup:

Lee, is it a TSR conversion you're having? Spoke to the company when I was considering what was available. They put all the right bits inside, rods, pistons etc. I'd ask if the compression is lowered on your big bore. You can drive a monster turbo with very little lag. something like a GT3071wg would be good for an easy 500 bhp, with rapid spool.:thumbup:

Um why not do what I did' date=' but a 4x4 & up spec that, If you are running more power then all the Rs Brakes & suspension need to be changed anyway, Ok you get some nice seats & dials but all that can be obtained from the scrappy & if you are upgrading the seats get Reccaros.

seems a very expensive way of going about it[/quote']

Cant say I've not considered buying a 4x4 and swapping all the bits over. As it is at the minute, the 0-60 of the car is in the 5 second region (weather permitting) and handles mint. The Quaife diff really makes a difference and I'd recommend it to anyone. With 4 wheel drive the off the line times would be indecent. Just waiting to see how much the JBS 4 wheel drive conversion would be before I have another think. I' m well happy with the car at the minute. It drives well, plenty of power and its mega reliable. The problem with modding cars is you're always thinking about what you can do next to make it even better.

Does anybody with a 350 horse Octavia near Manchester want to demonstrate it to me? :)

I'm Manchester based. The car's at JBS at the minute having a post conversion check and service. You can't beat their customer care. I'll pm you when its back and we'll sort something out if you want.:thumbup:

I'd been thinking that a limited slip diff would be a good way forward, even for my car.

I'm Manchester based. The car's at JBS at the minute having a post conversion check and service. You can't beat their customer care. I'll pm you when its back and we'll sort something out if you want.:thumbup:

That would be great, cheers.