Fabialand

Stone

Hello Briskoda,

Wish I'd found this forum before buying the last week car but it's a cracking little beast so I'm not too concerned;

Sep 2003 Fabia 1.2 Silverline from a Skoda dealer in Scotland. Basic but very functional and suprisingly nippy.

Two small issues straight off - please don't flame if this aint the place to post them, I'll repost them elsewhere if necessary.

The Symphony radio/CD dial illumination doesn't work when the lights are turned on. Radio works OK, just can't see it in the dark. Any ideas? Doesn't seem to be a fuse.

Was wondering whether retro fitting a 3 point belt in the rear middle seat was a possibility? I have 3 kids so I'm not too keen on the lap belt.

Hope to be around here a bit more as I'm seriously considering buying an Octavia Mk2 1.9TDI Ambiente or 4x4 sometime this year as well!

Stone

:wavey: welcome! :D

Re: point 1 - do the other lights such as the vent dials come on? I assume the dashpod lights up? The only short term thing it might be worth doing is (if you have a set of keys?) remove the head unit and just check the connection of the ISO block attached to the back of it. As far as I know there's only one fuse for the radio's operation itself. :)

Thanks all.

RE radio illumination. Everything else works fine, radio works, CD works, other instrument panel & dial illuminations work, all exterior lights work. BUT radio buttons and screen are not illuminated when the lights are switched on. It's probably just a loose connection somewhere. I'll check the ISO block once I find a diagram of it! :o . I think I've got the right keys - Torx bits - same as a Renaults?

RE 3pt belt. Replacing the rear bench isn't a show stopper in itself although the cost associated with it might be. So far, the only reason for getting rid of it sooner than I would like would be the lack of a 3rd rear three point belt as the kids get bigger.

FYI, my other car is a BMW 528i SE 97' vintage. Great car to drive but awful boot space, eats tyres, has max tax, is a mid teens insurance group and drinks like a fish (well the way I drive it does :rolleyes: ). It was bought with the heart not the head however head and heart are telling me a MK2 diesel Octavia estate would be the ideal replacement!

4x4 or not 4x4 is the question.

S

Mmm, it was under warranty so I took it back to the dealer to ask about the radio.

Radio button lights don't work because there is summat wrong internally. Because of the hassle factor of repairing it, apparently it's cheaper to replace. So, a whole new radio / CD system due to be fitted on Wednesday - under warranty as expected :thumbup:

Rear 3 point centre seat belts aren't something the dealer was interested in doing but they reckoned Halfords of all people do a 3 point retrofit. Worth a check anyway.

S

I had a similar problem on my Octavia with the radio illumination and it was down to soft coding of the radio. If the new unit doen't solve the problem then prehaps worth a mention.

For the rear 3 point belt ask the dealer if a retro fit kit is available. If not then a rear bench from a breaker would be the other alternative, just check the belt recoils properly.

Also welcome to the forum.

Hi and welcome

I am afraid it is common for 1 radio to have this problem.

I have done a few of them under warranty too.

The reason they replace it is the manufacturer will not open it up to replace what is required.

As for the 3 point belt.

I too was asked this question a while ago.

The reply was yes you would have to replace the whole of the rear seat.

So I am afraid they are right.

As for the after market one....well with something as special as your kids do you risk it with after market?

I dont know I am afraid that could be down to you.

But this is a great forum for solving.

So could be worth asking.

Have fun

Happy motoring

Sarah

• 1 month later...
Hi and welcome

I am afraid it is common for 1 radio to have this problem.

I have done a few of them under warranty too.

The reason they replace it is the manufacturer will not open it up to replace what is required.

As for the 3 point belt.

I too was asked this question a while ago.

The reply was yes you would have to replace the whole of the rear seat.

So I am afraid they are right.

As for the after market one....well with something as special as your kids do you risk it with after market?

I dont know I am afraid that could be down to you.

But this is a great forum for solving.

So could be worth asking.

Have fun

Happy motoring

Sarah

Sorry for the delay in replying - been out and about elsewhere. Do you have any further info on replacing the rear seat such as feasibility and cost? I think you're right about after market kits - not worth the potential for disaster.

Thanks

S

Hi Mate

Sorry

Same person , but different company.

I would imagine that the best way to do this would be to look for a scrap yard that has one in.

That way you could use the whole of the rear seat assembly.

Could be worth keeping your own rear seat belts and replace the centre one.

This would possibly be the better cost effective way of doing it.

You will have all the trim codes in your service book to match.

But as long as you stick to the same trim level you should be ok

Sarah

Hi

If you go on to google and do part search it comes up with a place where you can put up the items that you are requiring.

Then the scrap yards get in touch with you.

That may be worth a go.

If I hear anything up here I will give you a shout.

Good luck in your search.

I think you should let us know how you get on with this as this could be something good especially for people with 3 kids.

Sarah