BBS CH-R (load rating issue)

RoadWarrior

Chaps / Chapesses

I've just ordered some BBS CH-R alloys in the following fitment:

18x8 ET38 on tyres measuring 225/40/18

I've had an e-mail back from the supplier stating the following:

- The BBS CH-R's you have ordered are available in the correct fit for your car(5x100 Et38), in the size and colour you have ordered. The only issue is these wheels have only been put through load rating by BBS up to 465kg, although they are made on the same machines as other CH-R's that are load rated higher. BBS only put these wheels through the lower load rating as they were not expecting to sell them for larger cars? I have spoken to BBS and they have supplied these wheels to customers for this car previously, but we would need to point out to you that the wheels are not officially load rated for your car. Would you still wish to proceed with your order?

Now... what do I do? Is this going to make the car unsafe to drive? Will it be fine?

Any advice really appreciated. Thanks - Jack :)

Like Rustynuts says, for road use it relies on your insurer's approval.  The wheels might be the weak link, but it's worth comparing your plated axle capacities.  The type approval will factor in dynamic loads but if the plate shows an axle capacity lower than 930 kg (your 2 x 465kg wheels per axle) then that's theoretically the weaker link. But it assumes your wheels are fixed at least as securely as the originals - hub, bolts everything secure.  Don't read too much into this as it's only an indicator; but you can at least be confident that BBS have been a VW OEM and will have correct approvals (TUV etc.).

A decent insurer will listen to your point of view and a broker will try and accommodate your wishes.  My insurer quoted on the basis of aftermarket wheels, then after the policy had started it said that they weren't allowed.  I made a reasoned argument and they conceded.  Most insurers won't be interested in listening so pick wisely.  The buck stops with them.