how do you take off the aerial?

i discovered this on my superb, too. i was going to swap it for an alloy one, and it doesn't come off. probably just as well, not sure if it would have looked right, anyway.
Be very careful which alloy one you re fit as the stubby ones that i've used in the past hardly pick up a station. Anyone had luck with stubbies, if so, which one ? Cheers.

Ok, cheers for the help, I was considering replacing it for an alloy one, but I dont think they'll actually look any good with the plastic base!!

I saw a stubby one on E-Bay that actually extends like an old fashioned type aerial that looked quite nice, i'm actually trying to improve the reception I get though, so are the alloy ones not as good as the standard one?

Someone snapped mine last year and i replaced it by buying a new whip from ebay, all you do is pull it. My local Skoda dealer wanted to charge me about £150 to replace it and all that. The new whip cost me £4.

Pay your money, take your choice!

Anyone know how to take the aerial off?

It unscrews and then you can fold it flat' date=' but it wont come off completely?[/quote']

As people have already said, you unscrew it and then give it a strong pull and it will come off.

The problem with the Superb aerial is that finding a replacement means that you have to have a longer than normal thread in order for it to fit as the fold down allowance means the overall aerial threaded section doesn't till a far way up the tip, if that makes sense?

Is there an aftermarket stubby aerial available for the Superb?

• 5 weeks later...

Dear All,

This may be a bit off subject here but it was touched on by johnjohn. Is anyone elses radio reception and ability to hold a station any better than lousy? Being an old git and rather fond of Radio 4, the biggest threat to my safety on the road is continuously having to hit the preset button is a vain hope that it will pick up a stronger signal.

Just to prove that I must have been really nasty in a former life, radio 1 always seems to be perfect reception!

Dear All' date='

This may be a bit off subject here but it was touched on by johnjohn. Is anyone elses radio reception and ability to hold a station any better than lousy? Being an old git and rather fond of Radio 4, the biggest threat to my safety on the road is continuously having to hit the preset button is a vain hope that it will pick up a stronger signal.

Just to prove that I must have been really nasty in a former life, radio 1 always seems to be perfect reception![/quote']

Yes, I have to say I get a little frustrated by it myself sometimes. There is a local station I listen to, never had any problems with it in other cars, except this one.

Is it a Skoda thing, or just a Superb thing?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tip regarding "giving it a tug". I bought a aluminium stubby a while back and was stumped by the anti theft device and didnt want to break my new car by yanking the aeriel.

I just went down and put the new aeriel on. Not sure if I like it yet, looks like I've docked it's tail. I'll give it a couple of days to see if it grows on me.

• 4 years later...

Yes, I have to say I get a little frustrated by it myself sometimes. There is a local station I listen to, never had any problems with it in other cars, except this one.

Is it a Skoda thing, or just a Superb thing?

Did you get to the bottom of this? I have just bought a mk1 superb and having the same trouble with Radio 2. Also the only 2 local AM radio stations I listen to are prro too - sometimes (but not always) worse when the fan is on.

I have a black thing sticking sticking out of the rear roof area, just above teh rear window. not sure if that is the radio arial, or the car-kit antenna (it has a car kit when i bought it.)

Any help would be good as I would love to be able to listen to the radio without it either immediately scanning for a stronger signal, or me having to press the preset every 5 seconds!

Help greatly appreciated...

Syanide