Car takes a long time to start

Isolus

Hi, hope youre all well.

I have skoda fabia 1.4 tdi 2006 december.

I have two problems that 3 mechanics werent able to solve.

First one: the car takes 3-6 seconds to start even in the warm weather. Battery is new, glowplugs are new, everything that can possibly be changed, was changed. Im looking for ideas of what you guys think it could be and Ill start rechecking everything again. Throw me anything you might feel relevant.

The second problem is that coolant light is always flashing even though there is no obvious problem with it. Is there any way to turn it off?

Thanks for the help.

The coolant light is probably caused by dirty sensor probes in the expansion tank. They are integral with the tank and difficult to access. A new tank is ony about £15-£20 though (part number 6Q0121407B).

Have you had the car scanned for fault codes?

Edited by TMB

The coolant light is probably caused by dirty sensor probes in the expansion tank. They are integral with the tank and difficult to access. A new tank is ony about £15-£20 though (part number 6Q0121407B).

Have you had the car scanned for fault codes?

Thanks, thats going to be the next thing Ill look into.

I had it scanned, showed no problems.

On the starting issue, if it's spinning well but not even trying to fire, and not white smoking even briefly (another 3s or so) when it does, I'd suspect a pinhole air leak in the fuel lines, or a "lazy" engine speed sensor taking time to detect that the engine speed is high enough to allow injection,

On the starting issue, if it's spinning well but not even trying to fire, and not white smoking even briefly (another 3s or so) when it does, I'd suspect a pinhole air leak in the fuel lines, or a "lazy" engine speed sensor taking time to detect that the engine speed is high enough to allow injection.

https://goo.gl/photos/pQDULKbmMjQTwD9YA

This is how it started this morning, after standing for 12 hours, at +10 degrees. Maybe that can give more info into a problem. 

Also, on the coolant issue mentioned before, the sign stops popping out when the engine is at 90 degrees of celsius (after restarting the car). 

Edited by Isolus

• 2 weeks later...

https://goo.gl/photos/pQDULKbmMjQTwD9YA

This is how it started this morning, after standing for 12 hours, at +10 degrees. Maybe that can give more info into a problem. 

Also, on the coolant issue mentioned before, the sign stops popping out when the engine is at 90 degrees of celsius (after restarting the car). 

I've never seen a VAG diesel fire that roughly.

Does it start like that on every start or just when left overnight or for a long period?

Starts like this when left overnight and if now, newly happened, that when I drive, stop, turn off the engine and want to start it again in 30 seconds, it takes a few minutes rough start to start it.

• 3 weeks later...