Remaps on 95 ron

Hi

I have the 150 bhp 1.8T and was thinking of getting a remap this summer.

I don't plan any other mods and I don't do track days. All I want is a safe increase in power for the 5% of the time that there is actually a clear space on the road.

With that in mind, and the fact that I want to stick to standard unleaded without detting, what sort of power should I be able to get?

Also, who can you recommend near Lincolnshire to do this? I dont mind travelling for a few hours.

Lastly, what sort of hike in insurance costs have people found when doing the same?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Sorry to sound vague on performance as age of car has a bearing as well. I would suggest you talk to a couple of tuners to get some honest answers. My personal favourite is Jabba near Peterborough 01733 211779 but there are a couple of other good ones who post on here.

Insurance will really depend on your companies attitude, some wont entertain it, some seem to charge a disproportionate amout. I have founf Chris Knott to be excellent for me & Im running a very heavily modified Octavia. They are a sponsor of briskoda so you should find their banner floating around

I would have thought that for a 95ron map you may need a custom map, seeing as the VAG 1.8T is designed for 97/98ron, i.e. super unleaded, and therefore tuner maps will be designed around this also...

...probably best to speak to Jabba tho...

seeing as the VAG 1.8T is designed for 97/98ron' date=' i.e. super unleaded, and therefore tuner maps will be designed around this also...

[/quote']

Is this true?! :confused: So the engines would be retarding on all my friends 1.8T's that use 95 ron? :eek:

I've got mine mapped for 95 ron in Jabba as you cannot get i97/98/99 ron in Ireland (the south that is). You'll get aroung the 210bhp mark, which is a huge difference for you. My car runs perfectly well on the 95 ron.

Have a decent chat with Jabba' date=' they are a realy nice honest bunch of people, havent heard of any problems with the Generic map but if you can stretch to it go for the custom map & Michael will tweak it to suit what you want, chat over the options with them & see what you think. It also means your car will go on the rolling road & its a good way of finding out any other problems the car has.

Weve had both our Octys mapped by Jabba & have had no problems, the Diesel was mapped at 8000 miles & is now just over 100000 with no problems. The 1.8T which was originally a mere 150 bhp went to 225 with just a map & has now had a few more mods & is poking out 300+ bhp, again no problems & that car gets "used !!"

As I said chat with Jabba, many of us have a good idea what can be achieved but they are the experts & are certainly straight & honest.[/quote']

:iagree:

my 4x4 was remapped by jabba to 215, 95 ron fuel and with reliability in mind so the last owner (Podwin) told me...

Does run better on 97 ron or above though, so use that now but never seemed 'bad' on 95, just better now!

I have just spoken to Brian at Jabbasport. They have a number of generic remaps for each engine variant to cater for different RON fuels. You tell them what RON fuel you normally use and they will provide a generic map tailored for that fuel.

Is this true?! :confused: So the engines would be retarding on all my friends 1.8T's that use 95 ron? :eek:

'tis true!

Take a look in your ownes manual, and it will also say in there that the fuel for use in this engine is 97/98ron, with 95 being allowed in exceptional circumstances (the same as 92 is allowed in the non-turbo varients in exceptional circumstances)

I have just spoken to Brian at Jabbasport. They have a number of generic remaps for each engine variant to cater for different RON fuels. You tell them what RON fuel you normally use and they will provide a generic map tailored for that fuel.

Good to know!! :thumbup:

I would like to stick to 95 Ron for 2 reasons

1) Cost. 99% of my driving will be stuck in traffic, so I wont benefit

2) It is not always easy to get super unleaded. My supermarket doesn't stock it so it would mean a 20 min drive to fill up every time. I guess I am just lazy!

I dont care if I get 200 or 220 bhp, either will be great for that money. Just as long as I dont blow the engine. Mind you, I don't hear much of that on here, not like the Impreza forum ;)

Thanks for making the call Denis

Cheers

Mark

I dont care if I get 200 or 220 bhp' date=' either will be great for that money. Just as long as I dont blow the engine. Mind you, I don't hear much of that on here, not like the Impreza forum ;)

[/quote']

Optimax plus octane booster. Knocklinks. Melted pistons. Paranoia about using any fuel apart from fresh Optimax. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Glad I've got an Octavia :D :D :thumbup:

'tis true!

Take a look in your ownes manual' date=' and it will also say in there that the fuel for use in this engine is 97/98ron, with 95 being allowed in exceptional circumstances (the same as 92 is allowed in the non-turbo varients in exceptional circumstances)[/quote']My Octavia Owner's Manual says:

Petrol engines

Unleaded petrol conforming to DIN EN

I would like to stick to 95 Ron for 2 reasons

1) Cost. 99% of my driving will be stuck in traffic' date=' so I wont benefit

2) It is not always easy to get super unleaded. My supermarket doesn't stock it so it would mean a 20 min drive to fill up every time. I guess I am just lazy!

I dont care if I get 200 or 220 bhp, either will be great for that money. Just as long as I dont blow the engine. Mind you, I don't hear much of that on here, not like the Impreza forum ;)

Thanks for making the call Denis

Cheers

Mark[/quote']

I once owned an Imprezza that went pop !!

Ive had the Octy for 3 years & I can tell you it wont blow as the result of just a remap. With other mods the std internals can safely be taken to over 300 bhp,

Wow

Where are our Custom-Code people?

Custom-Code can be used with the 150bhp and then if you want to run on either petrols you can do any adjustments through Custom Settings.

This is a FREE service that you can do on a laptop.

The remap has been proven to be very good on the 150bhp`s and we have done a few of the Phase 2`s on these engines too.

You would not be dissapointed with this remap.

Do a search on Custom-Code BEFORE you go settling for the 1st mentioned remap.

www.custom-code.co.uk is the web site.

But use the search button above and search for JBS Auto Designs or Custom Code

I am on here the majority of the time too if you want any questions asked.

Sarah