Emergency Bulb Kit

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I have just picked up my new Mk£ SE L Executive. The manual has no information about roadlight type and I am ignorant in terms of halogen, xenon, etc. I will be going abroad but like to carry spare bulbs anyway. Can anyone tell me what typr of bulbs this car has or may there be different specs? Hopefully standard so someone can give me a definitive answer. What bulbs do I need to get (just standard replacements) or where can I get a ready-made kit with the right bulbs?

Thanks in advance.

Just go to a Main Dealer or Motor Factors and buy the bulbs after giving your vehicle details, (VIN / REG) keep them in the packaging in a waterproof box.

Then familiarise your self with how to change the bulbs on the car that you are going to be changing or having someone change in an emergency.

Or familiarise yourself with the bulbs and how to change them before even buying the replacements.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

I was chatting with some local friends here in Luxembourg a couple of years ago regarding how strict the continental police are around carrying spare bulbs for cars with Xenon units where the manual says "dealer change only" if you get stopped. The general consensus is that you need to a carry a pack of spare bulbs, but not necessarily a pack of spare bulbs for the car you are driving......... :) 

It seems that the belief is that the average policeman who stops you will not know whether the bulbs are the correct one, and in modern cars the car will tell you that one has blown, so its unlikely to be any length of time of driving without being lit properly (which is what the rules used to be about - people not knowing a bulb had gone)

Therefore if you have one of the standard packs in the car you can get from any cheap shop, that will cover the box-ticking exercise (which is generally the case with foreign registered cars) that anyone stopping you will require.

Plenty Audi drivers and others in very new cars have a faulty front or rear light so in car warning lights make little difference to them.

If Police made people change the bulbs before travelling further or have the car recovered it would make a difference.

Thing is there are plenty police cars that seem to go out on the streets without the officers having checked the lights are working.

• Like 1

System should log date, time and mileage when the lamp failed, excessive delay, to be determined, should result in fine similar to bald try offences.