Fabia 1.8 20v turbo

RallyRed

Anyone ever done this conversion?

I spend alot of time in local breakers yards and have the oppertunity to aquire a rolling shell which was a flood damaged 1.2.

I've seen jabbasports 1.8T lupo.

So i'm guessing the fabia is pretty similar.

i am several hundred miles away from jabba tho and wouldnt have budget for them to do a conversion anyways.

any other petrol engine conversion been done on a fabia?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a 1.2 clio on Cliosport.net that is running 400 bhp 1.8T, fully stripped, does high 11's on the drag strip so anything REALLY IS possible.

It's too much time & money to do it on a vRS and you might aswell just buy and Ibiza Cupra 1.8T 180 bhp. However, it might be worthwhile on a W reg Fabia 1.2 with 90k on the clock. You can buy them for like 3k, 5k on the mod (atleast) and you'd have atleast a 210/225 motor if you got the right engine and even more if your wallet was big enough.

Well i'll sorta be getting the shell free i'm swapping it and some other wee bits for my current abandoned transplant project. My 2.0 16v corsa. I really cant justify buying anoither project without moving one on.

I sold my capri track car.

will be swapping the corsa

that'll leave me with 2 fabias an Audi and an mk1 MR2

and 5 bikes.

Oh and a 106 i bought for its wheels.

Sorry to state the obvious here - but why not just buy and mod an Octavia VRS ?

I Dont really see it as the Octavia being the equivalent to a 20vt Fabia, in that case why buy an octavia and mod it, when you could buy a TT 225 ?

Its all about the challenge, I put a 16v into my MK1 golf, I could have bought a MK2 16v ...but i didnt really want one, i wanted a MK1,

The only thing I could see sorta similar to the fabia with that engine is either buying a golf or a leon, but you still dont get the challenge of putting it together. and for some people thats what its all about, If you have both the time and the money its great fun!

Only "sensible" way I can see to do this, is take your Fabia shell - gut it 100%, then find a smashed up Cupra 1.8T Ibiza of the same era and transplant EVERYTHING from it into the Fabia - wiring looms, and everything. I'd less confident doing this, than what I've already done. :eek: This is getting on to differing car brands, let alone just different engines in the same models like mine.

Only "sensible" way I can see to do this, is take your Fabia shell - gut it 100%, then find a smashed up Cupra 1.8T Ibiza of the same era and transplant EVERYTHING from it into the Fabia - wiring looms, and everything. I'd less confident doing this, than what I've already done. :eek: This is getting on to differing car brands, let alone just different engines in the same models like mine.

But SEAT and Skoda are all from the same 'brand', ie VAG so you'd not have many differences to worry about, when transplanting all tne gubbins as well as the engine, after all SEAT just use the VW engine if you want to look at it another way, so the SEAT is in fact a VW underneath.

:)

Anyone ever done this conversion?

I spend alot of time in local breakers yards and have the oppertunity to aquire a rolling shell which was a flood damaged 1.2.

I've seen jabbasports 1.8T lupo.

So i'm guessing the fabia is pretty similar.

i am several hundred miles away from jabba tho and wouldnt have budget for them to do a conversion anyways.

any other petrol engine conversion been done on a fabia?

Cough cough http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/lupo.htm

This was our conversion!

Any way we do offer the 1.8T conversion on most vehicles including this one

http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/feliciafun.htm this was a lovely conversion too.

I would like to put the 130PD engine in to my little Skoda Felicia but Roxy would need alot of work.

But I am sure as with the other conversions that we have done , this would be great too.

The Lupo owner said it drove better than the Mk4.

That car looks great.The only mods on the outside of the car was a little rear spoiler.

Mmmmmmm

Sarah

If I had lots of money to burn, I'd strip a Fabia right out and try to get everything out a cupra ibiza into it. Just little unclears I'd worry about like will the ibiza dash fit in the fabia chassis? will the wiring be the same length? will the wiring terminate with same plug ends? Engine mounts in the same place? ECU sits in the right place. General placement of gubbins in the engine bay would worry me if the 1.8T fittings are laid out much different to the original. :)

With enough work, anything is possible, but this sounds like even more work than mine (where engine bay gubbins, mounts and dash, etc were not an issue)

Cough cough http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/lupo.htm

This was our conversion!

Any way we do offer the 1.8T conversion on most vehicles including this one

http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/feliciafun.htm this was a lovely conversion too.

I would like to put the 130PD engine in to my little Skoda Felicia but Roxy would need alot of work.

But I am sure as with the other conversions that we have done ' date=' this would be great too.

The Lupo owner said it drove better than the Mk4.

That car looks great.The only mods on the outside of the car was a little rear spoiler.

Mmmmmmm

Sarah[/quote']

Thank you thats very helpful.

I agree that a full donor car would be the best option, I'm currently scouring scrappers for a full rear-ended 20v motor for a different project, but the scrappers are not daft and know the potential of them and price them accordingly.

In essence IMO it would be quite a simple transplant from say a Leon to a Fabia I would imagine, a few bespoke parts would have to be made, of that I have no doubt, but if you have the facility and the ability it would be good fun to carry out. Maybe being an engineer to trade makes me feel a bit more confident about doing things like this, but having done a few transplants into different motors in the past for fun, I found that the hardest ones were when I had bought an engine here a loom there and a gearbox elsewhere. Makes it so much easier if you buy a car as a whole and do it bit by bit, and also you are guaranteeing yourself complete compatibility of ECU's, Dash clocks, etc.

Clearly the following would be fraudulent but consider the following.

Buy a half decent Octavia VRS. Insure it Fully comp.

Get a friendly farmer/builder/pikey to drive into the rear of it with something very large. Car must be written off.

Claim for pretty much what you paid for the car (as you've only just bought it the value wont have fallen much).

Buy the wreck back from the insurer for pittence.

Sell the remains you dont want to others on here

Use the engine for the project.

:rofl:

This is true Phil - Only problem nowadays is from what I've heard its next to impossible now to buy wrecks back from the insurers. I think I was lucky in getting in there and buying my pd100 back from the insurers before this new philosophy came into play. :thumbup:

The problem's I envisage with using the octy setup is wiring differences in that the octy is a longer / bigger car. If the dash fits in the Fabia though, that's excellent. And if the looms link to the door looms too, and the rear lights/boot setup. :cool:

Having got "down and dirty" with Fabia wiring looms they are anything but easy to sort out. :thumbdwn: The joining up of looms in the bulkhead is a right mess. There's so many different coloured plugs which have to exactly match with their counterparts on the engine bay loom. I'd dread to think what it would take to make a custom loom. :( Older cars are more suited I think.

not sure i see the point really as the faba is hardly lighter than the octavia really and less stable at speed.

the only way i see it being worthwhile would be to get the fabia and a mullered TT and cut the floor pan from the TT and make it fi the fabia, get the prop adjusted and make a 4x4 1.8T fabia. that would be more fun :D