Boost problem

DaveH

As of today, i have a problem. The car runs as per usual when using light throttle but when pressing a bit further the turbo spools, the car starts to head for the horizon but just as its about to get into its stride (~3k rpm), power disappears and the engine starts to judder. If you immediately come off the throttle and reapply lightly, everything is fine, push a bit harder and it does its juddering thing again.

I filled with Optimax only yesterday so wondered whether it could be a fuel quality problem. To that end, i reduced the timing (Revo) back to 3, no different, and then back to zero, no different. Lowering the boost from HB1 to LB9, no different, reverting back to stock map, everything is fine. No faults logged on the engine ECU. Anyone had anything similar to this?

Well, 21 people have viewed this thread to date without being able to help. Therefore, in case anyone else develops similar symtoms in the future, he's the answer:

COILPACK.

Other than the symtoms mentioned above, Vagcom (blocks 014,015,016) revealled misfires on cylinder 3. It would seem however that these were not sufficient in quantity to throw up a fault code. Delibrately provoking the misfire for 1-2 seconds instead of immediately backing off the throttle did cause fault codes to be logged - "multiple misfires", "misfire cylinder 3". At this stage the likely cause is either the coilpack or spark plug, swapping the coilpack to another cylinder and re-vagcom-ing to see whether the fault has moved cylinders distinguish these two possibles.

A great site for 1.8T running troubles:

http://www.elitedubs.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=988

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry for not spotting this thread and offering some advice.

Which dealership do you work for then mate - I've seen you around in Rotherham? Not that my 'car share' work mate is a racer or anything but he now knows all about your streetfighter, I offerred him some really insightful advice - under no circumstances try to race that pickup, you WILL lose! LOL. :thumbup:

Hi Dave

You will find that them there funs are nore common than you think.

We actually did the engine on that and it IS a lovely example of what can be done to these cars.

Its a shame we never talked Lummox in to the conversion. ;(

But anyway as for the problem , it is usually answered a little quicker when people are at work believe it or not.

We do get to go on now and then and have a play in work time.

So it could possibly have helped if you had put it in ask a tech?

Dont know mate , by=ut anyway glad you got this sorted.

Did you also know that they are covered in to a 5th year of warranty?

Sarah

But anyway as for the problem , it is usually answered a little quicker when people are at work believe it or not.

Lol, I guess people have better things to do when not while-ing away the hours at work!

So it could possibly have helped if you had put it in ask a tech?

I'll have to seek out that section next time, trust me to put it in the wrong bit!

Did you also know that they are covered in to a 5th year of warranty?

How do you mean? As in coil packs are covered for 5 years under the warranty?

Anyways, I must come down soon, I haven't even seen the new place yet! No-one seems to be meeting up on a Saturday nowadays when I ask.

Dave

Hi Dave

Yes pop long and see us.

I have just cleaned my office so it looks tidier now ;)

Yes coilpacks are covered in to a 5th year of warranty on the 1.8T engines.

They had a few problems with a particular part number.

If you have them in your engine these should be replaced by a dealer and get it FOC under warranty.

They do not have to have gone down to be replaced just replaced if you have the old type.

I saw a thread on here today with some great pictures of the different coil packs I will see if I can find it again and post you up a link for it.

Sarah

Anyways' date=' I must come down soon, I haven't even seen the new place yet! No-one seems to be meeting up on a Saturday nowadays when I ask.

Dave[/quote']

...well for your information Mr. DaveH, I'm there this Saturday morning for my 50k service.

One other point. If you'd posted this in a section that people actually read then maybe you'd get a better response :)