1.4 TDI engine tuning guide...

pietch

Is anyone sure how the analogue tuning box works, this is what the seller of the digital boxes says, not sure if it is correct though?

Tandem Tning on eBay: "We do not offer "Home Made" (on a bench), "One Unit Fits All" (resistor in a box) products. that are currently available on E-bay.. NOTE... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR :')

The vast majority of so called "analogue" VW/Audi "PD" tuning units being offered around on e-bay from £19.00 - £90.00! are no more than a 300ohm. "resistor in a fancy box" (sometimes not even fancy!)..

These units connect to the Diesel pre-heating system.. Basically jamming the signal to the ECU, which believes the Diesel Fuel to be cold and therefore keeps the heating element on ALL the time... We spend £££Thousands on our cars... why risk ££Hundreds of pound of damage by fitting this type of unit..! If you insist this is the option you want to take... save some cash and go to Maplins/RS Components and buy them for 67p (for a pack of ten).. "

Is the above statement about the heating element true?

Also if I were to use the daws device I would keep max boost to the same level as the digital box uses, I will just use it to allow the turbo to start working sooner to reduce spool up time. Does anyone know the max safe boost on this engine?

Is anyone sure how the analogue tuning box works, this is what the seller of the digital boxes says, not sure if it is correct though?

Tandem Tning on eBay: "We do not offer "Home Made" (on a bench), "One Unit Fits All" (resistor in a box) products. that are currently available on E-bay.. NOTE... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR :')

The vast majority of so called "analogue" VW/Audi "PD" tuning units being offered around on e-bay from

Yes the Fabia, Lupo, Polo and A2 all have the same 3 cyl turbo engine I am told. Anyone got any more tuning info or know where I can look? I want to know if I can use all tuning devices together, looking to make 115bhp and 200 ft/lb torque which is what Jabba claim they can do with a custom rolling road tune.

Yes the Fabia, Lupo, Polo and A2 all have the same 3 cyl turbo engine I am told. Anyone got any more tuning info or know where I can look? I want to know if I can use all tuning devices together, looking to make 115bhp and 200 ft/lb torque which is what Jabba claim they can do with a custom rolling road tune.

I think you cause a few issues if you try and combine 'simplistic' devices to get more power!

One or t'other, or get a proper remap. :thumbup:

Hi There,

You mentioned the Jabba rolling road re-map. These re-maps are brilliant. We have had them on 3 skodas that we have had and they hit the spot at the right time when you need them. They also put the fuel economy +++++. Dependant on the warranty of ur car ( i.e if any left) this can cause a problem.

The description for the analogue chip is almost right but it doesn't use a heater.

Have a search for an explanatory post by me as well as some diagrams.

The digital box will not modify turbo boost pressure.

As I said the use of both devices will almost certainly over fuel your car and cause a lot of smoke.

I presumed a digital tuning box would do more than just a cheap resistor mod, without altering boost how can it make more power then the resistor mod?

Also if the car is overfuling with both devices then surley more boost would be the next stage of tuning? It may also reduce the amount of soot the car produces, right now with just the resistor mod it is as clean as a whistle.

Hellfire:

The resistor mod made the car much nicer to drive. A big improvement, especially when pulling away. Who told you it was usless? MPG was also unaffected.

You said I can't use a boost controller, is the turbo actuator electronic rather than pneumatic?

VrStu:

What does the analogue tuning resistor box exactly do then? I can't fine your old posts. Please help.

Thanks guys! :)

I think I will try both. If the car smokes, throws a error light or drives poorly then I will remove analogue resistor device. I will post my results for all to see as well!

Also I want to use a Dawes Device - this should increase my turbo spool up time and take advantage of the extra fueling too, right?

Where can I find out about MAX SAFE turbo boost pressure for this engine?

Also can anyone explain what the digital tuning box will do to the ECU to make more power, I am sure it will give more turbo boost right?

Stu: Thanks for the link to the explinatory post - helped me understand alot.

pietch.

With the greatest of respect, and don't take this the wrong way, you have a 1.4 engine which is only going to give limited power.

You are looking at too much stuff with little or no knowledge of how it works.

The engine will only burn a certain amount of fuel, the rest will just come out unburnt as smoke.

The Digital box does not interfere with the ECU at all, it modifies the fueling and injection signals, it is plugged into the loom that goes to the injector pumps and not into the ECU. If you want to increase boost get it mapped, you can find a generic on Ebay for less than £200.

Where exactly are you going to fit a dawes device on your car?? Have you looked??

pietch.

With the greatest of respect' date=' and don't take this the wrong way, you have a 1.4 engine which is only going to give limited power.

[/quote']

135 hp + 210 lb/ft should be easily achievable with a map. The **** this lad is putting on his car though should see a loss of circa new engine internals worth of damage :rolleyes:

Good luck mate :thumbup:

This is relevant for the 1.9 PD Tdi but I suspect may apply in some way to your 1.4.

Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve N75

The engine has a variable turbine geometry for optimally adapting the charge pressure to the actual driving conditions. To regulate the charge pressure, the

vacuum in the vacuum unit for turbocharger vane adjustment is set depending on the pulse duty factor.

The Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve N75 is activated by the Diesel Direct Fuel

Injection Engine Control Module J248.

Effects of failure

If the Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve N75 fails, the vacuum unit reverts to

atmospheric pressure. As a result, charge pressure is lower and engine performance is impaired.

I've been reading about the Dawes device on the Tdi. It comes with a whole lot of warnings and disclaimers as well as stating that it should be a method for preventing surging and not to increase performance.

I think by using a dawes device boost could be kept the same, however the turbo would spool up faster, see:

http://www.boostcontroller.com/display_page.php?i=19

"With ball-and-spring types, a spring-loaded ball is used to block this delivered boost "signal", until the desired boost level is attained. It is at this point, that the delivered boost pressure is strong enough to push the spring-loaded ball toward the spring and out of it's seat, allowing the signal to pass, and reach the Wastegate Actuator. The boost pressure then presses against the Wastegate Actuator's diaphragm, causing its arm to move, so that the Wastegate is opened. The opened Wastegate then allows the exhaust gases to divert away from the spinning turbine, thus preventing the turbo from boosting higher than the desired level.

The MBC is adjusted by turning a **** (or other adjustor), which varies the load on the spring inside the MBC. By adjusting it so there is more load on the spring, you are 'raising the boost" because more boost pressure is required to move the ball off its seat before the signal can pass to the Wastegate Actuator. By contrast, lessening the load on the spring allows the boost signal to more easily unseat the ball and continue on its voyage to the Wastegate Actuator, so by backing the adjustor away from the spring, you are "lowering the boost". The Joe P MBC, and all Hallman Manual Boost Controllers, are ball-and-spring type MBCs."

I have found this chip but would rather a digital tuning box as it produces about the same result and I can install in easily.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TUNING-CHIP-POLO-75-PD-1-4-TDI-ALLE_W0QQitemZ8037790399QQcategoryZ33597QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-6.html#e2

http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-6.html#e4b

Quote -

The purpose of these modifications is NOT to increase the steady-state boost pressure (which is already higher than the older vehicles use, and very close to the safe upper limit if the vehicle is "chipped") but rather to control the fluctuations of boost pressure characteristic of the stock boost control system, and to REDUCE the amount of boost pressure at low engine speeds in the interest of preserving the turbocharger by avoiding operation in the "surge" regime. This will actually *reduce* responsiveness at low engine speeds, but it is a necessary step to preserve the life of the turbo, if other modifications which increase fuel delivery at low engine speed have been done. These modifications are only useful if other modifications (e.g. injectors) have been made that result in either unacceptable exhaust smoke or power fluctuation due to fluctuations in boost pressure that the stock boost pressure control system cannot control, or unacceptably high boost pressure at engine speed below 2000 rpm. The VNT turbo must not reach full boost pressure until above 2000 engine rpm, and should preferably produce no more than about 6 psi boost pressure at 1500 rpm, to avoid operating the compressor in the highly damaging "surge" regime. Turbo manufacturers recommend staying at least 10% clear of operation in the surge regime.

Stu:

Point taken, nice to explore every avenue though!

Next big problem:

What are the pro's and con's of using both analogue and digital tuning boxes together?

i.e.

What is the worst thing that could happen and why?

What is the best thing that could happen and why?

As I have already said, they will both over fuel the car. Using a tuning box such as a Dragon on the upper settings is enough to trigger the CEL on the dash and log a code.

If you don't have VAG-COM then resetting codes all the time is going to be expensive.

I would think idle would be unbearable too.

What will happen if both tuning boxes trigger a VAG-COM code? Will this hinder performance or just mean a light may appear on my display? Will the car go into limp mode or something?

Also why do you think idle would be unbearable too?

From what you saying I am presuming performance will improve with both analogue and digital tuining boxes together but the car may overfuel (smoke on FT) and trigger a CEL light? Is that the worst case?

Thanks