1.4 TDI engine tuning guide...

pietch

non-remap? hmmmm. Trouble is nearly all types of non-remap tuning do need some form of software fiddling to make the most of them :)

I could say get a decatted exhaust, bigger turbo if they exist for the 1.4, intercooler on the front, etc. But all really need a software tweak to be able to use them right. And to be a little harsh myself, I see a tuning box as being half a remap anyway. (e.g I did all the above on mine, got 20bhp over standard, come remap time I got 90bhp over standard)

I have just given my old decat pipe to a fellow local cruizer who drives a 1.4 TDI polo (female too :D) and that would be good for her as a standard mod. :) with no real need for any other tweaks to suit. (Done at a powerflow dealer £100)

It may be worth contacting www.allardturbosport.com to see what they say about recommended modifications for the engine itself. Will be interesting to see if any big turbo's have been hybridised with the 1.4 manifold. :cool:

So, its really a bang for your buck thing then?

I still believe a single remap alone is the best.

£30 for 1 bhp, if thats the gain of a cupra intake.

£400 for single custom remap - 25bhp (maybe 30?) gain - £16 per bhp assuming 25bhp gain.

Not sure what a decat alone would do - doubt very much apart from better breathing, so would be £100 for perhaps 2 or 3bhp. A lot of ££ per bhp there.

Shame the modern diesels don't have the good old fashioned screw for making them go better, eh? :D

Twin Tuning boxes - UPDATE:

Last night I re-fitted the analogue tuning. This ment the car was running both together! The car felt 100x better stright away! It pulled much better pre-turbo boost (below 2500 rpm) and even struggled for grip with a nice bit of torque steer in 2nd and 3rd in the wet :)

The was a tiny amount of soot in 2nd gear past 3500rpm (only) but during the day this can not be seen, it is only visable at night if a car is close behind when you accelerate hard. If you concentrate in your mirror you will see the soot in his headlights slightly, however I got this with the standerd setup anyway.

We also have a Jabba'd Octy VRS and the 1.4TDI now feels just as torquey! It whips you head back every time you floor it!

Not sure about top speed yet, don't really like going to fast top end in such a small car. Also unsure about MPG although so far it seems the same plus with the extra low down torque I am finding I am changing gear much sooner, so who knows it could be better!?

I am also pleased to report that no engine check dash lights have appeared. I have tried all types of driving in each gear over 70 miles so far too.

So in conclusion you can use both the digital tuning box (top end power) and analogue tuning box (low end grunt) together to amazing effect!

You VRS Fabia boys should try this mod!

Now how can I go faster still? I am sure a little more boost with a 'dawes device' may help! :) Anyone know the max safe boost for this engine?

I am also please to report that MPG seems to be up, why would this be?
How much fuel did you use and over what mileage before and after the mods, ie have you logged accurate figures over a meaningful period or is this a seat of the pants observation?

Mileage per quarter tank is usually '75' however it reached '80' today and still is just above quarter mark.

I expected a big drop, however both mods do state on ebay that with the extra torque gear changes come faster.

I am not unhappy with Jabba remap, like I said I just like to tinker :)

Does anyone know about MAX boost settings on these cars?

If not I think I will use a gauge to see what MAX standerd boost is set at then use a dawes device to increase turbo response whilst keeping boost capped to standerd, I have done this on other cars and it works a treat, it changes the boost curve and gives more mid range torque and BHP.

I might get the car Dyno'd soon too.

Jeez, how cavalier can you be ???

Get involved in a serious RTC, no matter if it's your fault or not and Plod will take your car to bits and liase closely with your insurance company.

Kill someone and you will be strung up by the knackers and left in the sun to rot ...

Grow up, get insurance ... stick a tuning box on the car or sell it for a PD100.

-- original post cooled down and reposted below --

You will find you are uninsured when it comes to having an RTA of any severity, or worse still killing somebody.

The police don't like people who drive without insurance, and when you get out of prison or get your driving license back they will hike your insurance so high you won't be able to drive a 50cc scooter without the insurance being silly.

Sort yourself out, and either get the proper insurance or don't mod the car.

Pietch, even with third party insurance if you don't declare your mods they won't pay a penny if you haven't declared your mods.

Imagine a big motorway pile up and it's your fault. The total claim is in excess of £50,000 (quite easy with personal injury, legal costs, car repairs/write offs), the insurance company WOULD NOT PAY A PENNY because YOUR insurance is invalid. Meaning YOU would have to stump the bill.

That's one hell of an attachment of earnings order and possibly a prison sentance.

Even if you are insured only third party, you need to declare your mods.

I'm third party insurance. I would not even care if they did not pay out. :)

You would when you find yourself sued for the full cost of the damage to other people's cars , and if personal injury claims are added on top of that it can be a six figure sum.

Idiot.