Service Interval Light

Johnwg

Is it on fixed or variable servicing?

The service light on the Octavia VRS (sorry don't know about the Fabia) is the silliest thing I've seen in a car for a long time - it just flashes 3 or 4 times in the trip computer display when you turn the ignition on, then disappears. Pay close attention next time you start the car, but if there's nothing there, it isn't due yet.

My light comes on at suspiciously even 10k mile intervals for a car that's supposed to be on variable servicing .... :rubchin: - apologies for the hijack, but is there a way of checking? Methinks I am paying for variable services every 10k miles - now there's a nice little earner!

The Fabia should be on fixed servicing and should come on 1000 miles before a service is due (with either OIL or INSP to indicate which service is due). If it doesn't, it may be that the service indicator wasn't set up at PDI :confused:

Chris

Well been down to the dealers and booked it in anyway. Mentioned to the guy that the light hadn't come on yet and he said that it wouldn't come on till 10K !!

Also mentioned that I wanted the full annual service and not just the oil & filter change and he looked at me as if I was mad, aparently there is only one type of service and thats the annual one !!

I know they're only little things but it conflicts with advice of very knowledgeable sources on this forum, so a tad apprehensice about leaving my pride and joy with them

Well been down to the dealers and booked it in anyway. Mentioned to the guy that the light hadn't come on yet and he said that it wouldn't come on till 10K !!

Also mentioned that I wanted the full annual service and not just the oil & filter change and he looked at me as if I was mad' date=' aparently there is only one type of service and thats the annual one !!

I know they're only little things but it conflicts with advice of very knowledgeable sources on this forum, so a tad apprehensice about leaving my pride and joy with them[/quote']

I'm sure it mentions about the service light coming on 1000 miles before a service in the handbook, but that might be worth a check. Certainly won't come on the day the car needs a service! :rofl:

The full annual service is the default one. I was the other way round and spoke to a few dealers who didn't seem aware of the lube-only service, so I had to take it somewhere who did recgonise it! Worth checking the reviews of them in the reviews section on here too to see how other people faired with them :D

Chris

it just flashes 3 or 4 times in the trip computer display when you turn the ignition on, then disappears

Bloody hell, then mines well overdue for a service,i was under the impression that the service light would stay on continiously when the engine was running.

Yes it does seem that some dealers do not know about servicing cars.

When you take your car in for a service , get the fulkl anual inspection.

There is no point taking it back 3 months after the oil and filter change for the inspection.

Then the 20k service and second inspection would be due 10,000 miles or 1 year after the first one.

But to let you know too that nowdays you do not have to take your car in to a dealer for servicing to keep up with warranty.

As long as the garage is VAT registered it will NOT invalidate the warranty.

Keep to service schedual and you dont even HAVE to use OEM parts too.

But just be careful on that one , dont go on to cheap rubbish.

We use OEM parts with oil from the dealers too.

So you could end up saving yourself quite a bit of money through shopping about.

Oh and we do a full diagnostic check as part of the service too.

Sarah

Yes it does seem that some dealers do not know about servicing cars.

When you take your car in for a service ' date=' get the fulkl anual inspection.

There is no point taking it back 3 months after the oil and filter change for the inspection.

Then the 20k service and second inspection would be due 10,000 miles or 1 year after the first one.

But to let you know too that nowdays you do not have to take your car in to a dealer for servicing to keep up with warranty.

As long as the garage is VAT registered it will NOT invalidate the warranty.

Keep to service schedual and you dont even HAVE to use OEM parts too.

But just be careful on that one , dont go on to cheap rubbish.

We use OEM parts with oil from the dealers too.

So you could end up saving yourself quite a bit of money through shopping about.

Oh and we do a full diagnostic check as part of the service too.

Sarah[/quote']

Would love to, but as the dealer is only 1 miles drive from work I figure any savings by using a reputable VAT registered garage based in the Midlands region would be wiped out by fuel costs (I work in Shifty-Town).

I also need a couple of things looking at under warrenty, so couldn't really go down the non main dealer route. Thanks for the advice, I will bear it in mind for the future.

The service light didn't come on for mine at 10,000 and it's now not come on yet at 19,250 though I've booked the car in for service since it's easy to remember 10,000 intervals. Not getting the brake fluid changed though since that'll wait till 30,000 in the Autumn.

John, I paid £148 for my 10k mile service (at the place im guessing you're having yours done ;)) and they did a proper service on mine. Didnt get any service reminder on the dash either :confused:

Doesnt it tell you how to set it in the book?

I 've got a service light in mine. Came on when it was about 11months old in August 2005 (@5,500 miles), presumably to warn me about the first annual service.

This light must be activated by date as when I viewed the car the indicator wasn't on, but when I picked it up a week later it was on but the car hadn't moved (Private Sale, so it wasn't a dealer turning it on!)

I 've got a service light in mine. Came on when it was about 11months old in August 2005 (@5' date='500 miles), presumably to warn me about the first annual service.

This light must be activated by date as when I viewed the car the indicator wasn't on, but when I picked it up a week later it was on but the car hadn't moved (Private Sale, so it wasn't a dealer turning it on!)[/quote']

hhmmmm maybe thats it then activated by date? If thats the case I guess I'll never see mine, as I do about 35k a year! lol.....