DS2500 usage

bengie

after speaking to ferodo today it seems that the DS2500 isn't strictly a road legal brake pad and actually a track pad that could possibly get you in deep water if found to be using them on the road, with this in mind is it a good idea for people to stop broadcasting that they use them in their signatures??

not that i use them, i just happened to be talking to the manufacturers about another product and they came into the conversation :rolleyes:

after speaking to ferodo today it seems that the DS2500 isn't strictly a road legal brake pad and actually a track pad that could possibly get you in deep water if found to be using them on the road' date=' with this in mind is it a good idea for people to stop broadcasting that they use them in their signatures??

not that i use them, i just happened to be talking to the manufacturers about another product and they came into the conversation :rolleyes:[/quote']

Yup.. .the ds2500 and ds3000 are motorsport pads.. ive heard theyre quite good :D

Such outrageous behaviour............Shocking. :eek: :rofl:

Seriously though, these pads have to be kept warm to work properly. If your on a long journey and you haven't used your brakes for a while, they do tend to react slowly at first when you do finally use them. I think you can figure out what might happen.

Such outrageous behaviour............Shocking. :eek: :rofl:

Seriously though' date=' these pads have to be kept warm to work properly. If your on a long journey and you haven't used your brakes for a while, they do tend to react slowly at first when you do finally use them. I think you can figure out what might happen.[/quote']

Yeah, you're right about the heat issue.

However, my previous fabia had DS2500 pads and they always worked remarkably well, even when cold.

And I believe even certain taxi drivers have DS3000 which DO need warming up to work. Surely, that's a major risk if they mostly do motorway miles :rolleyes::rofl:

Yeah' date=' you're right about the heat issue.

However, my previous fabia had DS2500 pads and they always worked remarkably well, even when cold.

And I believe even certain taxi drivers have DS3000 which DO need warming up to work. Surely, that's a major risk if they mostly do motorway miles :rolleyes::rofl:[/quote']

I...errrmm...my friend hasn't had any problems with cold braking.

DS3000....apparently squeel rather a lot.

Can't remember which one gives off sparks under heavy braking and both leave deposits on your alloys if you don't clean them regularly.

This is all of course...allegedly.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Glad I told my friend to change them ;)

I'm sure they had an e mark on though...

Ok, so say I had a motorspot car; lets say a peformance wrc car which I took on to the roads of Bala mid stage...I'm not changing back to a road pad.

Pagid's are a good alternative, have a good source too; the uk main distributor, good prices on all..

Personally I love theceramic yellows a friend has, so little heat is produced it's amazing, less than stock pads with 1mm of tread on :D

Glad I told my friend to change them ;)

I'm sure they had an e mark on though...

Ok' date=' so say I had a motorspot car; lets say a peformance wrc car which I took on to the roads of Bala mid stage...I'm not changing back to a road pad.

Pagid's are a good alternative, have a good source too; the uk main distributor, good prices on all..

Personally I love theceramic yellows a friend has, so little heat is produced it's amazing, less than stock pads with 1mm of tread on :D[/quote']

Colin... so you recommend the Pagid Blue or Yellows...? i'm looking for an upgrade to the OE disks and pads on the vRS at the moment. Jabba have told me about a new disk they have from DBA which they offered me a discount on but i dont want to go for DS2500's if they arent supposed to be used for road use. Jabba also told me they dont have wear sensors on them, do the Pagid pads?

I too have heard that DS3000s produce a lot of dust and sparks which wrecks alloys :D

I've heard they squeal too ;)

As for DS2500s, maybe they sent the wrong ones? FCP590 is the road legal one (DS2000) and FCP590H is the track one (DS2500 and DS3000). Easily done ;)

Got a part number for the blues and yellows Col?

Colin... so you recommend the Pagid Blue or Yellows...? i'm looking for an upgrade to the OE disks and pads on the vRS at the moment. Jabba have told me about a new disk they have from DBA which they offered me a discount on but i dont want to go for DS2500's if they arent supposed to be used for road use. Jabba also told me they dont have wear sensors on them, do the Pagid pads?

What spec and price are the DBA Discs, are they Drilled / Grooved Plain or both, as I am near needing a set of Pads and discs ( DS2500's gone through grooved discs in about 30K) PM Me if you dont want to reveal all publicly for any reason

Cheers

Dave

Daver - to be totally honest i have no idea what these disks look like... Jabba were supposed to be sending me a few pics of the disks but havent yet.

if the DS2500's are going through disks that quick then i'm going to look into the Pagid pads instead.

so... would Blues be sufficient for fast road use ?

• Administrators

erm I've done 30k 4 track days and my discs are fine....black diamond drilled and grooved discs.

Mind you I know Colg has gone through 3 sets of cheap discs...the black diamond discs were not cheap, but they are still looking fat...

these DBA disks arent exactly cheap either but IIRC they are on a par with the BD disks... i've used BD in the past (drilled only) and found them good but only with the right pads...

anyway, thanks for the info guys... helpful as always

these discs were quite cheap so might get BD next, although I only got just under 40K out of the standard disc / pads so a higher frictional Coeffiecienet of the DS2500's will mean more waer on discs along with the discs being grooved so 30 - 35K is probabaly pretty much ok, stopping power is phenomenal though although they are starting to go off a little now under heavy breaking due to the pads starting to get low

OK, I had a set of DBA discs (front and rear) on the celica.

I was usign them with Akebono ceramic pads.

The discs were vented front/solid rear as for factory, but both ends grooved. DBA machine brembo blanks so you are getting good solid cast iron discs. this was for the normal 1 piece grooved replacement from DBA. They do do some multi piece discs for some models you can find out more on the DBA website.

Being a jap pad, ordered from the US, the Akebono ceramic pads weren't strickly e marked either, but come MOT, using the Tapimeter (4x4 remember) the tester commented how nice they were.

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody, I am Alex new to this forum.

I am running Pagid FR front discs & pads,(Audi A3 1.8t) the pads are (FR-Blue) fairly hard in comparison to the discs. I've done about 25k and there is still about 1/2 of the pads left. However the grooves have worn down to nothing and look like standard discs now.

Hopefully there will be enough to last round Brands in July.

I've been very impressed with the Pagids performance also they make no noise in use, I guess the only downside is increased disc wear.

Hi everybody' date=' I am Alex new to this forum.

I am running Pagid FR front discs & pads,(Audi A3 1.8t) the pads are (FR-Blue) fairly hard in comparison to the discs. I've done about 25k and there is still about 1/2 of the pads left. However the grooves have worn down to nothing and look like standard discs now.

Hopefully there will be enough to last round Brands in July.

I've been very impressed with the Pagids performance also they make no noise in use, I guess the only downside is increased disc wear.[/quote']

Hello Alex,

By the time the grooves have worn off most discs it's time to replace them (it's a useful indicator in itself, for those of us who don't check our discs' wear with Verniers :thumbup: ) so you should probably be looking to replace them.

As I said, this only applies to most discs; I suppose some might come with a really shallow groove which expires before the disc but I'd say it's worth checking.

HTH, and welcome to the site! Nice car :)

Mr W.