Advice on stereo replacement.

Inza

Hi everyone,

I'd like to start by saying that this is a great forum with some invaluable information on it. HUGE THANKS to all involved:)

I'm thinking of replacing my Skoda Auto Stream unit for obvious reasons:)

Is there a plug and play solution that will give me SAT NAV, DAB, BLUETOOTH, MP3 functionality?

I've read some of the threads on this forum where people have had to use faceplates to accommodate the new units which I do not mind doing at all.

I'm just confused as to what my choices are and would appreciate some advice from folks who've gone through the same thing.

Please see picture attached of my existing unit.

I was told by an eBay seller that this is the only choice I have:  https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-sk5026s-android-6-after-market-radio-for-skoda-octavia/

Cheers in advance:)

IMG_20171215_170622-01.jpeg

Hi Inza,

From what I'm led to believe to get the functionality you're looking for in a head unit you will require an Android or Possibly a WinCE head unit as the newer Skoda units aren't backwards compatible with older cars ....

Very few of these units though offer everything you're looking for as standard, DAB Radio for example usually requires an additional module that plugs into the back and is mounted in behind the unit ... Some come with a CD/DVD player but most are dependent on using either a USB stick or memory card to play music but will often play a whole host of music files including WMA and MP3 .... Sat Nav will also often require a WiFi dongle to be plugged in again at additional cost... You can be looking at the best part of £400 upwards to get everything you want.

• Like 1

Thanks Labman...did you manage to look at the link in my initial post? It's expensive for what it is but would seem to do the job. I'm however, starting to think it isn't worth it.

5 hours ago, Inza said:

Thanks Labman...did you manage to look at the link in my initial post? It's expensive for what it is but would seem to do the job. I'm however, starting to think it isn't worth it.

Hi Inza,

i did did look at the link and it actually told you very little about specifications for the unit or if indeed it actually would fit a pre facelift Mk2.... It doesn't even mention from what I seen if it takes a DAB module....

I've looked into replacing mine but just can't justify spending upwards of £300 on a head unit so I've plugged a Blutooth receiver into my Aux input in the jumbo box and stream either my music collection on my tablet through it or use either the apps for my favourite radio stations or an online radio station app to listen to live music... I had tried plugging a small personal DAB Radio into it but the reception in the car is pretty poor so I gave up on that...

Ive attached a photo of the Blutooth adaptor I'm using which is plugged in using a small extension cable so it sits just outside the jumbo box for easy access to it ... It has a rechargeable battery and runs for about 5 hours however there is a new version out with double that run time costing between £10 & £20

image.jpeg

Hi Labman, the link I attached is able to take a DAB adapter that plugs into the usb port at the rear.

I think the units are made by Seinic and both websites state they are plug and play in our cars. They also say that they must be fitted correctly to avoid battery drain.

I'll send a link to something I've seen that's similar to what you're using but allows for media to be played via SD card.

Really appreciate your information:)

I had an Android head unit in my previous VW

Some elements of it I absolutely loved (Google Maps nav, ability to use a cheap reversing camera, mp3 playback with full album art etc) 

However, other parts of it were awful. Fm radio reception was a joke, interface was general buggy, and it caused battery drain issues (which I'm sure would have been solvable, but still a nuisance) 

2 minutes ago, Rjg said:

I had an Android head unit in my previous VW

Some elements of it I absolutely loved (Google Maps nav, ability to use a cheap reversing camera, mp3 playback with full album art etc) 

However, other parts of it were awful. Fm radio reception was a joke, interface was general buggy, and it caused battery drain issues (which I'm sure would have been solvable, but still a nuisance) 

Hi, what did you end up using instead?

5 hours ago, Inza said:

Hi, what did you end up using instead?

I'm still looking!

I really want to go OEM. Skoda Columbus is tempting, but means using in-built navigation as opposed to Google Maps/Waze, doesn't give any decent way of playing Spotify (other than via bluetooth, which means buying another £150 module if your car doesn't have it already) and the reversing cameras aren't cheap!

1 minute ago, Rjg said:

I'm still looking!

I really want to go OEM. Skoda Columbus is tempting, but means using in-built navigation as opposed to Google Maps/Waze, doesn't give any decent way of playing Spotify (other than via bluetooth, which means buying another £150 module if your car doesn't have it already) and the reversing cameras aren't cheap!

The first link I put up is supposed to be plug and play but need to purchase the DAB box separately. As long it's not installed by a numpty it should be ok. Only thing for me is price.

Hi Inza, have you managed to find a solution? I have exactly the same setup as you do and also want to fit an aftermarket navigation. Main goals are to put Waze on it, listen to FLACs and most important, to integrate the rear sensor functionality as the original Stream MP3 head unit does. As far as i saw and found out, there are no navigations that can provide this functionality, for pre FL Octavia models (like you have). If you have any more details or new updates for this, please post them.

Also, the aux-in bluetooth converter showed by labman , isn't a bad ideea, but i wonder how good is the audio quality on these? I once used such a device and it provided a terrible sound, very flat, without bass and trebble.

1 minute ago, Panicos said:

Hi Inza, have you managed to find a solution? I have exactly the same setup as you do and also want to fit an aftermarket navigation. Main goals are to put Waze on it, listen to FLACs and most important, to integrate the rear sensor functionality as the original Stream MP3 head unit does. As far as i saw and found out, there are no navigations that can provide this functionality, for pre FL Octavia models (like you have). If you have any more details or new updates for this, please post them.

Also, the aux-in bluetooth converter showed by labman , isn't a bad ideea, but i wonder how good is the audio quality on these? I once used such a device and it provided a terrible sound, very flat, without bass and trebble.

Hi,

In the end, I went for this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072WP4TDP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works very well. My only gripe is that the USB ports are on its left so it means I have to turn the unit so the nothing rubs against the front passenger seat. I figure it's better than spending in excess of £300. I will use my phone as the satnav, can also stream via phone to unit and unit to care speakers so it's a decent solution to a potentially expensive problem.

Hope this helps you:)

How is the audio quality for this; let's say if you compare your phone being connected to aux-in port with cable, with the same but via bluetooth and stream music. Is the sound quality similar, or is there a big difference? Can you notice the difference i mean?

15 minutes ago, Panicos said:

How is the audio quality for this; let's say if you compare your phone being connected to aux-in port with cable, with the same but via bluetooth and stream music. Is the sound quality similar, or is there a big difference? Can you notice the difference i mean?

Audio quality is decent BUT depends on what radio channel you choose to have the audio streaming through. Meaning make sure to find a frequency that isn't noisy.

no, i mean, if you stream a melody from your phone, connected through cable on aux-in, versus streaming a melody from your phone connected to bluetooth

same melody, 2 types of connectivity between the phone and the head unit (one with cable, the other with bluetooth). I was reffering to the differences between these two.

2 minutes ago, Panicos said:

no, i mean, if you stream a melody from your phone, connected through cable on aux-in, versus streaming a melody from your phone connected to bluetooth

same melody, 2 types of connectivity between the phone and the head unit (one with cable, the other with bluetooth). I was reffering to the differences between these two.

Sorry. I've not tried streaming via bluetooth or the Aux cable due to having a large capacity USB that works very well in this unit. I have taken calls via bluetooth and they sounds good.

• 2 years later...
On 27/12/2017 at 11:51, Inza said:

Sorry. I've not tried streaming via bluetooth or the Aux cable due to having a large capacity USB that works very well in this unit. I have taken calls via bluetooth and they sounds good.

Old thread I know but does the Mic pick up your voice very well in phone calls what with the cigar lighter being by the hand brake?

Edited by sealover1

Hi,

it worked reasonably well. I’d prefer a unit that has it all built in to be honest but it’s not too bad at all.

hope this helps :)

• Like 1

I know that the op has already found a solution, I have found a few units on AliExpress that are ment to fit really well and come with the surround, hoping to purchase one of these shortly and will post a review of the unit afterwards if I do.

10.1" 2Din Android 8.1 For 2007-2014 Volkswagen SKODA Octavia 2 A5 Car Radio Multimedia Video Player HiFi Navigation Head Unit

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWEmDnJ

Looking at going for the T3L plus

12 hours ago, narerusco said:

I know that the op has already found a solution, I have found a few units on AliExpress that are ment to fit really well and come with the surround, hoping to purchase one of these shortly and will post a review of the unit afterwards if I do.

10.1" 2Din Android 8.1 For 2007-2014 Volkswagen SKODA Octavia 2 A5 Car Radio Multimedia Video Player HiFi Navigation Head Unit

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWEmDnJ

Looking at going for the T3L plus

That would be great if you could please and if we need to buy any extra wiring to control the volume on the steering wheel, I have heard they drain the battery thats another thing that worries me

12 hours ago, narerusco said:

13 hours ago, Inza said:

Hi,

it worked reasonably well. I’d prefer a unit that has it all built in to be honest but it’s not too bad at all.

hope this helps :)

Oh 1 more question if I could Please, will the phone answer if the unit is playing my local radio and not tuned into the device setting on the stereo or does it have to be on the bluetooth setting if you know what I mean?

21 hours ago, sealover1 said:

That would be great if you could please and if we need to buy any extra wiring to control the volume on the steering wheel, I have heard they drain the battery thats another thing that worries me

I needed to pay a little extra to get the correct surround/frame as did not pick exactly the right one on the order but sent a picture of the dash of the car to the seller and they let me know and asked if I wanted to cancel the order or to pay the $13 extra for the change of frame once it arrives will update with extra details, including a guitar to fitting it as I do.  My car does not have the steering wheel controls so can't test that part, but I believe it comes with a canbus unit with it.

On 29/07/2020 at 12:24, sealover1 said:

Oh 1 more question if I could Please, will the phone answer if the unit is playing my local radio and not tuned into the device setting on the stereo or does it have to be on the bluetooth setting if you know what I mean?

Hi,

Yes, I know what you mean but have since sent mine back so not sure about that.

I'm looking into buying another but not convinced by its intergration.

Let me know if you have any insight into this?

Cheers

Inza