4x4 Octavia clunking

4x4Octavia

my 4x4 Octavia clunks when setting off - sounds like a CV joint but isn't. The noise is apparently coming from the Haldex clutch and the dealers response was to change the oil in the clutch which, unsurprisingly, didn't fix things. Has anyone got any ideas what it may be - or can recommend a dealer in Sussex who is capable of diagnosing the problem?

my 4x4 Octavia clunks when setting off - sounds like a CV joint but isn't. The noise is apparently coming from the Haldex clutch and the dealers response was to change the oil in the clutch which, unsurprisingly, didn't fix things. Has anyone got any ideas what it may be - or can recommend a dealer in Sussex who is capable of diagnosing the problem?

Not much help, but Jabbasport thought that my Haldex seemed a 'little lazy'.

I had the oil plus the haldex oil filter changed as a precaution, but no noises like yours, only a couple of times when all the power (220bhp) seems to stay at the front. I'm hoping(!) that this winter brings the conditions where I can check whether its working ok.

How many miles has your car done as mine is on 32000 now ?

How many miles has your car done as mine is on 32000 now ?

Now 14K but the problem started at about 10K miles back in August. Changing the oil did quiten the problem for 30 miles or so.... The problem seemed worse yesterday after having the front wheels off to replace two tyres!

Have you had a look at the dealership list [url= http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22]here[/url'] to see what members think of them?

Thanks for that - I have had a quick look. My local dealer is in a village in West Sussex and is more familiar with tractors! The car has been to them 3 times for a total of 7 days and I have waited over a week for them to get back to me about this - they tell me they are waiting for a response from SkodaAuto UK. I feel inclined to take the car to the large Audi dealer just up the road rather than the 20 miles to the Skoda dealer. I wonder if anyone here has had a warranty claim handled by other VAG group members???

I've just checked the list. Clarion Cars has a good reputation with members - including a thumbs up from our resident Skoda Customer Services member. There are no comments for Bexhill, Saltdean and Station Garage. I haven't heard of any members going to other VAG dealers for warranty work and, as the warranty is specifically provided by Skoda Dealers, I doubt that you would be successful.

I've just checked the list. Clarion Cars has a good reputation with members - including a thumbs up from our resident Skoda Customer Services member. There are no comments for Bexhill, Saltdean and Station Garage. I haven't heard of any members going to other VAG dealers for warranty work and, as the warranty is specifically provided by Skoda Dealers, I doubt that you would be successful.

I could give you an opinion on Saltdean, if you wanted. In fact, Blubber2 and I did, here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4964

Hmmm. It goes from bad to worse - the clunking is now serious - in all gears and is clearly a rotary part about to fail big-time. I rang Station garage this morning and was told service was too busy to talk to me and could they phone me back. That was at 10:30 so having heard nothing by 3pm I called again and the service manager told me that they could do nothing until they had spoken to Skoda - which is exactly what he said a week ago! I waas cut-off - mobile phone - and when I rang back 10 seconds later he was apparently on another call. I asked for a response by close of business with a proposal of how to fix the problem and am still waiting!

There is no service or courtesy from Station Garage. My wife now want's to sell the car and by a Ford as you don't expect any service from them!

Anyway, does anybody know how to best contact Skoda CS as I have reached my wits end with this one.....

Skoda Customer Service can be contacted on 08457 745 745.

SimonT and Blubber2, could you please post the comments you made about the dealer in the Skoda Dealerships forum here. I suggest a simple copy and paste from your original posts.

Very sorry to hear about your problem - not a sound familiar to me (and your woes are leading me to believe I should be glad about that!) but I could ask around. It sounds like a rarity though, so I don't expect to be lucky. :(

BTW, I should stop driving it immediately! Get it towed to a reputable and knowledgeable dealer now...

Ring Skoda customer care & if possible see if you can speak to Niki & mention Briskoda. She posts on this forum as Lady Loki but I gather is good at "kicking ass" as the Americans say.

She should be able to recomend another dealer for you in your area & I would have thought a loan car should be provided withoput question

I have found the 2 Skoda dealers I have used to be excellent, unfortunately they would be a tadge far for you to travel (Hampshire)

If The Lady reads this trust it was OK to recomend you without asking but you apear to have the customers interests at heart

SimonT and Blubber2' date=' could you please post the comments you made about the dealer in the Skoda Dealerships forum here. I suggest a simple copy and paste from your original posts.

I'm not going to admit to missing the fact that there are seven pages on the dealerships page. I had wondered how you selected which dealers to include... :embarrassed:

Anyway, I'm just off to submit a post.

Thanks to all who responded. I can accept that it may be the first time the dealer has seen the problem, but they should have processes in place to resolve the issue speedily and should at least return calls. Their amateurish approach to diagnosing the problem is the sort of thing that sets back the Skoda image to "the dark days"! I have just spoken with a colleague of Niki's at Skoda CS and she is attempting to get a resolution to the problem asap.

Their amateurish approach to diagnosing the problem is the sort of thing that sets back the Skoda image to "the dark days"!
One of the strengths of Skoda UK is the generally high level of customer satisfaction with Skoda dealers. It's a great pity that your dealer is letting you down so badly - and Skoda's new found and deserved good reputation too. Let's hope that your car is fixed asap. :(

UPDATE!!! Skoda CS called back on Monday - would I please book the car in again at Station Garage. Phoned them and got a date 8 days away, with a charge for a courtesy car and no definitive action plan to fix the car, so I phoned CLARION CARS and explained what had happened. They phoned back and asked if I could take the car in on Tuesday (today) and they would have a staff car available at no cost for me. dropped the car off at midday and at 5pm they called to say it was fixed! Apparently the propshaft UJ was striking a heat shield in the transmission tunnel (unique to the 4x4!). They also performed the coil pack recall that Station Garage had refused to do unless I broke down!!!!! So it has to be 11/10 for Clarion Cars, 0/10 for Station Garage and 1/10 for Skoda CS (as they were polite, but didn't return my call today.......). Thanks to this board and those posters who have reviewed the dealers, my problem is resolved!

4x4Octavia

Good news that it was something minor in the end - you had us 4x4 owners worried !

If I were you it might also be worth dropping a quick letter to Skoda praising the good dealer (I don't think they'll get many of those) and leaving enough clues to indicate the dealer that was shall we say 'lacking'

Rob

I'm in contact with Skoda CS on this issue so they'll have my feedback!!!

I too am delighted that it was minor, but it concerns me the the original dealer could not identify the problem on a ramp - apparently there were "witness marks" all over the place!