Change from permanent to ignition fed accessory socket(s)?

I’m wondering if it’s possible to switch over from a permanent live accessory socket to one that goes off with the ignition? I know switching a fuse position in older Audis changes to a permanent feed so hopefully the reverse might be possible in the Superb? Or maybe a VCDS setting?

Edited by Alan_P

That’s a shame. Are they at least on an intelligent circuit that drops at a certain voltage?

Just to clarify, the sockets seem to stay on all the time and are already permanent live… front rear and boot.

Edited by Alan_P

I could tap into something similar I’m already using for dash cams, but I was hoping for a factory option to stay within warranty etc.

I will actually need to test if they are permanent… I see some reports that they turn off after 10 min.

I'm not sure they are truly permanent live. On the occasions I've accidentally left my phone in the car I always hear it beep and start charging again when I open the door to retrieve it.

Sorry - scrub that. Just realised it's connected to the USB socket, not the 12v socket....

Edited by CheshireBumpkin
Idiot-Moment
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. The USB socket on mine turns off with the ignition too and I use it for android auto... peace of mind knowing it's not going to cause a problem if I leave it hooked up. I would like to leave other stuff plugged in (headrest tablets etc.) without worrying about a flat battery and/or forgetting to disconnect them. I’m even cautious about an overzealous iSmart charger with led illumination running for a few days.

When I get a chance I will test if they shut off after a set time.

Edited by Alan_P

I have a 2017 MK3. I have the dash cam connected via a cable to the boot socket. I wish I could change the "remember your phone" message to "turn off the dash cam" as mine stays live until I pull the plug.

It gets a little irritating that it doesn't/won't turn off with the ignition!

• Like 1

We've got a cool box that we use when we buy frozen or chilled food in the summer and also when we go on holiday to keep cool drinks and sandwiches fresh and it plugs into the boot socket.  I have to remember every time we stop to unplug it as I'm not sure how long the battery would last if it was running all the time.  I'll leave it on if we stop for 10 or 15 minutes, especially in the summer if we're on a long run and the battery should be fully charged and it's been OK.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Booshakker said:

I have a 2017 MK3. I have the dash cam connected via a cable to the boot socket. I wish I could change the "remember your phone" message to "turn off the dash cam" as mine stays live until I pull the plug.

It gets a little irritating that it doesn't/won't turn off with the ignition!

You didn't need to go that far. There is a fuse box in the passenger foot well which has  ignition switched fuses. Just realised you probably mean a rear facing camera!

Edited by facet edge

As others have said they are permanent live and the fuse cannot be dropped down half a place to make it ignition fed.

I ran a new cable to the boot for my dashcam (on the rear window) powered with a fuse tap directly to the fusebox

• Thanks 1

I have tested them and can confirm they are all constantly live… not good.

I run my dash cams off a Lukas LK-290 and it’s a great little device with timer and voltage drop cut off options. I don’t fancy the idea of rewiring the accessory sockets or adding new ones though. Do owners really demand the sockets are permanently on these days? They could at least provide one socket that’s ignition fed.

26 minutes ago, Alan_P said:

I have tested them and can confirm they are all constantly live… not good.

I run my dash cams off a Lukas LK-290 and it’s a great little device with timer and voltage drop cut off options. I don’t fancy the idea of rewiring the accessory sockets or adding new ones though. Do owners really demand the sockets are permanently on these days? They could at least provide one socket that’s ignition fed.

It's daft and I encountered the same issue on my 2010 octavia. My car was sitting not moving for the better part of 2 weeks and some numpty didn't realise the dash cam was still going. Got lots of lovely footage of an empty field though. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

have this pic from another thread, but can't find the source, i'm sure i've seen it somewhere before, anyone have any joy on this? it's fuse #40 which in the manual is the sockets in the car as opposed to the boot (#30)

Cigarette lighter.jpg

Edited by mattjames1980

7 hours ago, mattjames1980 said:

have this pic from another thread, but can't find the source, i'm sure i've seen it somewhere before, anyone have any joy on this? it's fuse #40 which in the manual is the sockets in the car as opposed to the boot (#30)

Hi there,

There is no fuse box in the boot? Youve got the one behind the glovebox and one in the engine bay.

#30  -  12-volt socket in luggage compartment (boot)

#40  -  12-volt socket next to USB port (front centre console)

both remain powered on, even after the car has been switched off.

both r not a switched power source.

Edited by JR RS

• 1 year later...

@Alan_P

Did you ever sort your 'issue'?

I have similar predicament...

Sorted my dashcam with hardwire kit and thinking of doing same with front and rear sockets. Any help/advice greatly appreciated. 

The 12V sockets do not have the "Ignition Controlled" option at the fuse box, the wiring is not there.

I have run my own outlet using Fuse-47 position, it's for the rear wiper that's not fitted to my car and it goes on & off with the ignition. My twin outlet will stay under the boot floor and will supply my Sub & my rear dashcam.

For my front dash cam I used the smaller Fuse-37 position to connect my "Tap" too, this one would have been for the USB-C socket by the mirror that I also did not get, it also comes on with ignition.

So unfortunately there is no easy solution like you get on the Audi's