Possible battery drain

I went away for 2 weeks came back and got the dreaded peep/bong from the car on entry informing me the battery was low. I have had it tested and apparently its fine.

Iam not sure if it has a battery drain or it could be because iam doing lots more shorter runs and the battery is not having long enough to charge. It could be the alternator but when the battery is low and the car starts if I do happen to go for a longer run it has charged the battery.

So Iam going to charge the battery over night and see what happens any other ideas?

Charge overnight fully and you will be fine.

If you do regular short runs then invest in a 4watt or higher solar charger and use all the time, especially with a diesel requiring higher cca to start the engine.

If your battery has sufficient charge at the time of testing, they can also test the alternator, but i believe it cannot be done without a well charged battery, first.

2 hours ago, Tilt said:

Charge overnight fully and you will be fine.

If you do regular short runs then invest in a 4watt or higher solar charger and use all the time, especially with a diesel requiring higher cca to start the engine.

If your battery has sufficient charge at the time of testing, they can also test the alternator, but i believe it cannot be done without a well charged battery, first.

Good shout I will charge the battery and get th alternator tested as well.

Regarding the solar charger has anyone ever fitted this. For me it would have to be super neat and tidy!

2 hours ago, MRB007 said:

Good shout I will charge the battery and get th alternator tested as well.

Regarding the solar charger has anyone ever fitted this. For me it would have to be super neat and tidy!

Mine is just plug and play, as the lighter socket remains live without ignition on.

It is the simplest / cheapest solution otherwise I recommend you carrying a compact Lion battery starter otherwise regular short journeys, especially in cold weather, will do as you are finding already, flatten your battery.

A set of quality jump leads is always a handy thing to have in your boot.

15 minutes ago, Tilt said:

Mine is just plug and play, as the lighter socket remains live without ignition on.

It is the simplest / cheapest solution otherwise I recommend you carrying a compact Lion battery starter otherwise regular short journeys, especially in cold weather, will do as you are finding already, flatten your battery.

I have the lion battery starter worth the money and thats what I have been using up until now.

Are you saying you can plug the solar charger directly into the cig socket and it will work form there with no other changes needed? Can you send me a link to what you have?

On 1/27/2018 at 15:01, MRB007 said:

IAre you saying you can plug the solar charger directly into the cig socket and it will work form there with no other changes needed? Can you send me a link to what you have?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Visua-4-Watt-12V-Solar-Panel-Trickle-Car-Battery-Charger-FREE-DELIVERY/260952600043?epid=782547590&hash=item3cc1fcadeb:g:3tAAAOSwu4BVue-q

I think the idea is they give just enough charge to prevent battery drain whilst the car is standing.

This is why i recommend using it most, if not all the time the car is stood, plugged into cig lighter socket.

Edited by Tilt
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tilt said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Visua-4-Watt-12V-Solar-Panel-Trickle-Car-Battery-Charger-FREE-DELIVERY/260952600043?epid=782547590&hash=item3cc1fcadeb:g:3tAAAOSwu4BVue-q

I think the idea is they give just enough charge to prevent battery drain whilst the car is standing.

This is why i recommend using it most, if not all the time the car is stood, plugged into cig lighter socket.

Thanks this is happening!!!

• 1 month later...

Well I got it and I will be testing over a few weeks should be interesting. The leads could be a meter longer but never mind.

Out of interest can anyone recommend a good 12v Cig splitter ext lead?

20180314_171350.jpg

20180314_171401.jpg

Edited by MRB007