1.2TSi turbo / EPC issues

cliveb

Hi,

Well I haven't driven the car last week since the epc warning light came on and I took it to my local independent garage for diagnostic check.

Started the car this morning to take it to the garage - no warning lights whatsoever, no limp home mode.

When I had the problem originally I thought it was something to do with me not using the car for about 3 weeks as I am having some back issues.

After I took it to the garage last week for diagnostic check I decided to put some heat into the engine. Also, after the engine cooled down i sprayed some wd40 on the actuator.

I am going to use the car for the next few days so will report any changes.

BTW the garage showed me he had sourced a replacement actuator  from TPS. I did think about asking them to fit but I am not exactly flushed with money atm and if it ain't broke.................

Hope this helps.

N.B it's a 62 plate 1.2 tsi monte carlo 86ps

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, john2017 said:

When you try to help someone it wouldn't hurt  them to let you know how they progressed.

Just a courteous thanks for trying to help kinda thing

Ah right - so your "Sorted?????" question was asking me if things are now OK? It wasn't clear to me what you were asking.

Update on my situation is that the part is still on back order and neither the dealer nor Skoda UK can even begin to guess when the part will become available.

If and when I get any more news I'll post it here.

But for the time being my wife's car is off the road sitting at the dealer waiting to be fixed.

We are not happy bunnies.

So many 'newbies' come along wanting help, you try and then it's like they just vanish - nothing!

I won't reply to newbies now - and yes I was a newbie once but it was back in 2004 (long story) but there is so much information now both here, and cupra.net etc etc.

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, cliveb said:

I apologise if I have broken the etiquette around here.

My feeling was that if there was nothing new to report, there seemed no point in reporting anything.

As soon as I have any news I will let you know.

You haven't, you are correct, and thankyou. Some people are rather sensitive to their own needs!

Or just having a bad day I suppose.

Edited by nicknorman

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

You haven't, you are correct, and thankyou. Some people are rather sensitive to their own needs!

Or just having a bad day I suppose.

I was expressing a personal opinion - it seems that expecting some courtesy is seen as being over sensitive.

In terms of forum rules/etiquette I think moderators determine what's reasonable.

Lastly, NickNorman you haven't contributed any advice or help to cliveb's epc problems whatsoever.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, john2017 said:

Lastly, NickNorman you haven't contributed any advice or help to cliveb's epc problems whatsoever.

I don’t think I said I had. But when someone is rude to a fairly new poster I think it helps them to have a bit of moral support.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 15:06, nicknorman said:

I don’t think I said I had. But when someone is rude to a fairly new poster I think it helps them to have a bit of moral support.

Define rude in this instance - lol

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, I have an update. Got a call yesterday morning from the dealer to say that the part had arrived and the car was ready for collection. We were in Devon at the time, but collected it today.

The dealer was as helpful as could be expected. They said that they actually had two of these actuators on order, and when only one arrived they put it on my wife's car rather than the internal pool car that has been waiting for it even longer.

It was Skoda UK (or perhaps VAG) that irritated me by failing to keep enough parts in stock. We had ended up waiting over 2 weeks for the part to arrive.

But all is now well - my wife's car is back on the road.

Just to add here xman might remember i changed the actuator like a year ago with a German replacement. I have not had any issues but lately i feel like a delay-lag when i push the gas until 2k rpm the same that i had before it failed last year. It s been on sale for a couple of months however no serious offers till now. I will give a visit to ask my local garage to have a look at the turbo and the actuator soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Well just as before when I couldn't use my car because of my back injury I left the car for a week whilst on holidays and returned to the epc warning light.

Going to try the same remedy as before that is spraying the actuator and rod with penetrating fluid and leaving for a while to see if the fault clears, fault is starting to bug me now.

Best wishes,

John

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

I have a 2012 Fabia 1.2TSI with the CBZA engine with 50K miles on the clock. It had the fault code P334B 00 [096] Charge Pressure Control Actuator - Mechanical Malfunction (VCDS), with the usual EPC light and limp mode. It clears each time I restart the car but goes limp within 50 yards of the house. Reading all the valuable information available from previous posts, I decided to go with an actuator change as the actuator rod would move, believing the wastegate flap to be OK and not sticking.

The actuator alloy body was well and truly stuck/corroded to the bracket on the turbo, and I didn't want to force it and break something. So it wasn't coming off the car without the turbo!  So I took the plastic cowl off the actuator (3 x 5point screws) to access the gears. The gears moved OK but I found that a spring-loaded plunger inside the cowl itself was stuck/sticking. It came apart easily and after some careful filing of its runners and some silicone grease lubrication all was well and the actuator was re-assembled. 

The car has now done 150 odd miles today without issue. Fingers are crossed that this is a fix and a very cheap fix at that! I'm guessing this plunger assists the servo motor, so without it you can get a mechanical malfunction error.

12 hours ago, Monksy44 said:

Hi Guys,

I have a 2012 Fabia 1.2TSI with the CBZA engine with 50K miles on the clock. It had the fault code P334B 00 [096] Charge Pressure Control Actuator - Mechanical Malfunction (VCDS), with the usual EPC light and limp mode. It clears each time I restart the car but goes limp within 50 yards of the house. Reading all the valuable information available from previous posts, I decided to go with an actuator change as the actuator rod would move, believing the wastegate flap to be OK and not sticking.

The actuator alloy body was well and truly stuck/corroded to the bracket on the turbo, and I didn't want to force it and break something. So it wasn't coming off the car without the turbo!  So I took the plastic cowl off the actuator (3 x 5point screws) to access the gears. The gears moved OK but I found that a spring-loaded plunger inside the cowl itself was stuck/sticking. It came apart easily and after some careful filing of its runners and some silicone grease lubrication all was well and the actuator was re-assembled. 

The car has now done 150 odd miles today without issue. Fingers are crossed that this is a fix and a very cheap fix at that! I'm guessing this plunger assists the servo motor, so without it you can get a mechanical malfunction error.

Top fix mate! It perplexes me that the wastegate is controlled by an actuator anyway and not by the turbo pressure itself with a solonoid valve inbetween 

• Confused 1

Thanks,

My limited understanding is that there is a pressure sensor with input to the ECU. The wastegate flap is then moved by the actuator (servo motor) receiving a signal in relation to the pressure.

I do wonder how many cars have had their actuator and/or turbo replaced when all that was needed was a 5 point screw bit, a file and a little grease?