Fuel consumption

Janse

I've posted this message in another Skoda Forum, but think it would not harm to reproduce it.

We all know that the fuel consumption showed in the material from Skoda or any car producer is misleading. Sites as Spritmonitor (https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/) is therefore a great help. If you make a search on Karoq, you will only find a few results, thats not surprising because its a pretty new model

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview ... owerunit=2

I will recommend the users of this forum to make a profile on "Sprimonitor" and write up their fuel-comsumptions ongoing - this will be a great help for coming Karoq-owners or potential buyers.

That said what is your fuel consumption compaired to the claimed consumption?

Looking at spirit monitor I note that on average, the petrol gives more MPG than the diesel  probably as they are 4x4. Secondly the average for the 1.5tsi is around the 35/36mpg mark. 

Official mpg are "misleading" because they are only meant to be used for benchmarking. There has to be a controlled and consistent way of testing otherwise it would be meaningless if every manufacturer could pick their own protocol. I can imagine one measuring downhill and coasting for 50 meters. Boom 120mpg 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nickfrog said:

Official mpg are "misleading" because they are only meant to be used for benchmarking. There has to be a controlled and consistent way of testing otherwise it would be meaningless if every manufacturer could pick their own protocol. I can imagine one measuring downhill and coasting for 50 meters. Boom 120mpg 

Which is precisely why WLTP  - Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure - is coming into force as from 1st September

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tech/what-is-wltp-worldwide-harmonised-light-vehicle-test-procedure-explained/

• Like 1

This is the right way to go. Its interesting that the new tests find differences in consumption between the old and new test which is comparable to the differences we find between claimed consumption and real driving consumption (I recognize that there are individual differences).: 

"Drops of 13% to 18% in claimed economy were found by automotive industry data supplier JATO, which compared NEDC and WLTP figures for 18 models tested under both systems."

7 hours ago, Janse said:

I will recommend the users of this forum to make a profile on "Sprimonitor" and write up their fuel-comsumptions ongoing - this will be a great help for coming Karoq-owners or potential buyers.

I can endorse Spritmonitor, having used it continuously since 3rd March 2012 for my Yeti - my longterm realworld average mpg over currently some 165,000 miles is detailed below in my signature. 

Edited by Arkaig
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, OldKaroq said:

Looking at spirit monitor I note that on average, the petrol gives more MPG than the diesel  probably as they are 4x4. Secondly the average for the 1.5tsi is around the 35/36mpg mark. 

Last time I drove the wife's 1.5Tsi manual it had covered 1600miles at 43.2MPG on the maxidot, but she seems to average 38MPG and I get 48MPG but to be fair my commute is more car friendly as two thirds is motorway cruising.

17 hours ago, Arkaig said:

Which is precisely why WLTP  - Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure - is coming into force as from 1st September

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tech/what-is-wltp-worldwide-harmonised-light-vehicle-test-procedure-explained/

Hence the need to strangle petrol engines with a GPF. Superb already losing 8BHP on updated cars due this Autumn down from current 276BHP to 268BHP!

47 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Hence the need to strangle petrol engines with a GPF. Superb already losing 8BHP on updated cars due this Autumn down from current 276BHP to 268BHP!

I doubt you'll notice any difference on public roads!

5 minutes ago, Arkaig said:

I doubt you'll notice any difference on public roads!

Shouldn't affect unofficial 0-60MPH time on that car achieved by European magazine at 5.1seconds. Skoda claim conservative 5.8seconds. However one member is running lightly modded 520BHP with 0-120MPH at Santa Pod in cool 11.46seconds!