Tar spot removal

kevin defty

Just done a bit of a spring clean and I seem to have as much tar on the lower body and alloy wheels as the M1 !

any recommendations for quick and easy removal. 

Thanks

Edited by kevin defty
Missing words

AutoFinesse ObliTARate. 

Five minutes on the rear of a neighbour's friend's car. 

Working. 

F1Jrxyyl.jpg

B0CYAqTl.jpg

After. 

eYmlX4fl.jpg

HJtAZ8yl.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Svend said:

Before:

B0CYAqTl.jpg

After. 

eYmlX4fl.jpg

Is it that simple?

Or should it be 'before', 'during' and 'after'!?

I'm assuming some effort is still required to remove the tar, or do you literally spray it on, leave it and rinse off?

15 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Is it that simple?

Or should it be 'before', 'during' and 'after'!?

I'm assuming some effort is still required to remove the tar, or do you literally spray it on, leave it and rinse off?

Spray on, let's dwell but not dry then gently wipe off, repeat if necessary, large spots need to be pulled off with your finger nail or spray some on a cloth wrapped around your finger and gently rub. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Hmm, sounds far easier than the cream I use!

553772030.jpg.e296c03222191b4fab8855772f98cfe2.jpg

The likes of AutoFinesse ObliTARate, CarPro Tar-X, AutoSmart Harris, etc... are so much better than the creams. 

The CarPro Tar-X has a dye in to aid seeing it on black cars. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm converted, got a chance to try the Autosmart Tardis today, the whole car was covered in tar. 30 minutes later if was completely clear.

Can't believe I've been messing around with the creams for years.

The best £35 I've spent!

• Like 2

I need to get some as well. There were several tar spots on mine on Friday. I found some Simoniz tar spot remover.....................I might as well as pee'd on it. Useless. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 21:49, silver1011 said:

Wow, I'm converted, got a chance to try the Autosmart Tardis today, the whole car was covered in tar. 30 minutes later if was completely clear.

Can't believe I've been messing around with the creams for years.

The best £35 I've spent!

On 4/9/2018 at 09:24, Bignij said:

I need to get some as well. There were several tar spots on mine on Friday. I found some Simoniz tar spot remover.....................I might as well as pee'd on it. Useless. 

I stopped using the creams about ten years ago. 

These products leave the Halford sourced stuff in the dark ages just as Nanolex Washcoat, Gyeon Bathe+ and CarPro Hydrofoil have left the old days of wash'n'wax far far behind. 

As with any chemical from car shampoo, fallout remover, tar remover, etc... don't let the product dry on the surface, if it starts do, either apply more or remove it and repeat. So take into account how much needs doing, weather and temperature conditions, how easily and quickly you can work the product before it starts to become an issue. 

• Like 2

In a previous existence I had a big 5L container of Tardis. However that's not available to me so I thought I'd try the Simoniz stuff as a 'get out of jail' type thing. It's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back.:D

22 hours ago, Bignij said:

In a previous existence I had a big 5L container of Tardis. However that's not available to me so I thought I'd try the Simoniz stuff as a 'get out of jail' type thing. It's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back.:D

Psst, any time is time you won't get back. Time is linear. 

Sorry, I've got to stop saying that to people. 

Ye', Tardis is quite good, I use AF ObliTARate myself, more expensive but I use less of it. 

It's always best to keep a list in your browser favourites to get car supplies from such as cleanyourcar, elitecarcare, polishedbliss, ultimatefinish, slims, sam's, detailedclean, etc... and look for discount codes to save some money. 

• Like 1

I used to always swear by Autoglym rapid tar remover but I've recently tried Angelwax Nemesis and it's night and day. 

Spray on, let it dwell for five minutes and wipe off. There was literally one large spot that I had to work off for ten seconds. Couldn't believe the difference. The car hadn't been clayed in about six months. 

I usually clay as a next step and still pick a fair bit of tar up but not after the Angelwax stuff. 

1 hour ago, kevin defty said:

Thanks everyone for all your input. I eventually went for Autoglym tar remover and have found it very good. 

likewise - used it on my mums yellow Jazz today and it came up a treat!

It worked a treat on my car. In 43 years of motoring this is the first time I’ve ever had to remove tar spots with a specific product. It’s even on the alloy wheels! 

• 2 weeks later...