Fabia MK1 front door arrester swap

RaKa

Top guide. I need to replace both mine but they aint cheap over here in the UK. Only other thing is your a left hand drive so for us Brits it may be a little simpler. 

Top pictures too. :-)

Top guide. I need to replace both mine but they aint cheap over here in the UK. Only other thing is your a left hand drive so for us Brits it may be a little simpler. 

Top pictures too. :-)

*** Just doubled checked some prices and have ordered 2 (right and left) from skodaparts.com***

Well did mine a few hours ago. 

2002 mpi UK spec car?

Ok passenger side is a doddle. Remove glove box and you'll see the large hole as per raka pics. I found a little string around the end that screws to the door helps to pull it through.

Drivers side, what a pain in the ass. I was unable to remove the lower dash panel so did this side as per the book. Removed the lower kick panel and you can reach up and feel the large hole. Its a pain to remove because as it comes through the hole it gets stuck in the sound deadening in the trim above the acceleration pedle. Keep cool and it will come out. Replacement is as slow but again with attached string you can pull it through.

*** Leave the door end of latch folded up do not straighten it out. If you straighten it out there's not enough room for it to pass from the access hole and through  the A pillar hole.***

Total time with cuppa and bowl of cereal 1.5 hours. Total cost inc delivery £30.35.

On 8.4.2018 at 18:00, TripleMcB said:

Drivers side, what a pain in the ass. I was unable to remove the lower dash panel so did this side as per the book.

Sorry to hear that you were unable to remove the lower dash panel. I didn't include pictures of that process because mine came off just as shown in the workshop manuals. Also, I didn't want to clog up the original post. But I can add pictures here.

dash_panel_removal_pt_1.jpg.8d68727a0e7a4c0adf5ed40ae8bfe0c6.jpg

dash_panel_removal_pt_2.jpg.9cae22af5f84c54a6fcf324ea3250205.jpg

Instructions on removing the light switch here.

The panel is pulled off towards the driver, not down.

There is also the OBD socket but it doesn't have to be removed because it has quite long wires.

When putting the panel back, note the metal clip-thingy that has to slide onto a support above the pedals.

lower_dash_panel_support.jpg.caf7d4c9489c9f9a3c18583259e7475d.jpg

Hope that makes things a bit clearer now.

Raul

• Like 1

Thanks Rual. I must have been the bottom clip as it would lean forward a little but then wouldnt budge any more. Got a few scrapes on my left hand but got there in the end. Great pics by the way. 

Edited by TripleMcB

• 1 year later...

Thanks a lot for an amazing tutorial!
Today I managed to repair an old arrester, because it was a bit complicated and somewhat expensive for me to buy a new one. Therefore I opened the broken arrester and carved the plastic in order to recreate the bulged part, which actually holds the door from closing.
Tips:

1. When opening arrester in order not to broke metal clips just heat them up a bit, a candle serves the purpose. Again when closing it, heat up the clips and tight them with pliers

2. The easiest method to carve out the plastic piece would be a dremel tool, but as I didn't have one, I used scalpel and candle again 😊

3. Add spacer underneath the rubber part to compensate carved plastic. I removed probably 1-1.5mm out of each plastic piece.

Mounted back everything together, and so far so good... holds the door well

carved.jpg

worn-out3.jpg

20200115_122933.jpg

• Thanks 1