Lane Assist

10 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

It physically turns the steering wheel so I assume theres a motor connected to the steering column or steering wheel.

I guess its the same system used for automatic parking control.

The power steering is electric on the O3 (it's more energy efficient than the older hydraulic assisted steering), the Lane Assist uses the same motor - as does the Park Assist.

Edited by SWBoy

13 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

It physically turns the steering wheel so I assume theres a motor connected to the steering column or steering wheel.

I guess its the same system used for automatic parking control.

That's some pretty serious additional hardware, then, over-and-above the camera!

27 minutes ago, mumphie said:

That's some pretty serious additional hardware, then, over-and-above the camera!

But it's hardware that would be there anyway to provide the power assisted steering that we all expect cars to have nowadays - try turning the steering wheel when the power assistance isn't working, with the wide tyres now fitted you would need strong muscles!

Over and above the camera it's "only" software B)

Edited by SWBoy

10 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

But it's hardware that would be there anyway to provide the power assisted steering that we all expect cars to have nowadays - try turning the steering wheel when the power assistance isn't working, with the wide tyres now fitted you would need strong muscles!

Over and above the camera it's "only" software B)

Having a servo assisting steering is one thing, but a motor to actuate steering, potentially in the opposite direction that the driver is steering in, is surely something else altogether!

Does anyone actually use this feature?

To me it is just a gimmick - I have it on my new car and it just stays turned off.

- you need to fight the steering all the time

- it corrects when it shouldn't

- sometimes drives the car out of the road

It is an idea with potential, but I think this technology still has a few years to go before it gets mature.

slightly related:

It seems here in Finland they are going to repaint/remark roads to make markings clearer and where they once had yellow markings, all should now become white so that they are easier to read by these car systems.

Another useless thing I got is the backing camera, which is always dirty/covered in snow, rendering it useless... :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Does anyone actually use this feature?

To me it is just a gimmick - I have it on my new car and it just stays turned off.

- you need to fight the steering all the time

- it corrects when it shouldn't

- sometimes drives the car out of the road

It is an idea with potential, but I think this technology still has a few years to go before it gets mature.

slightly related:

It seems here in Finland they are going to repaint/remark roads to make markings clearer and where they once had yellow markings, all should now become white so that they are easier to read by these car systems.

Another useless thing I got is the backing camera, which is always dirty/covered in snow, rendering it useless... :)

I don’t use it.  For the exact same reasons you state (maybe not the last one though). I hate the steering feel when it’s turned on. It becomes vague and a ‘dead zone’ is created when the wheel is central. 

I love the lane assist on my car, one of the best features the car has that I would now look for again in another car, makes my long motorway commutes a breeze. I’ve never yet had it do something unexpected. I haven’t noticed it fighting the wheel from me unless you pull out of a lane without indicating. For the times when I want it off, it’s easy to disengage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

I love the lane assist on my car, one of the best features the car has that I would now look for again in another car, makes my long motorway commutes a breeze.

'

I'm from the utterly useless camp. Agree with most views mentioned above but just wondering how it makes long motorway commutes a breeze? What does lane assist do that makes life worse when it's switched off.

Not much use but great fun for scaring passengers when you let the car drive itself for a bit.  :biggrin:

(Obviously don't do it unless plenty of space and time to manually recover the situation)  

I've never turned it off but I find it quite unnerving when temps are low as it feels a bit similar to me to hitting sheet ice when you lose the ability to steer.

6 hours ago, mumphie said:

Having a servo assisting steering is one thing, but a motor to actuate steering, potentially in the opposite direction that the driver is steering in, is surely something else altogether!

Same hardware, different software - that's all.

3 hours ago, Scot5 said:

'

I'm from the utterly useless camp. Agree with most views mentioned above but just wondering how it makes long motorway commutes a breeze? What does lane assist do that makes life worse when it's switched off.

Corrects a lot of steering inputs, occasionally corrects my mistakes (they do happen) and just releases the stress of constant correcting inputs on long motorway slogs. I really miss it when I get back in my Mercedes. When you spend 3-4 hours a day driving on top of a days work you are thankful of the semi autonomous tech. I see no benefit in having the system switched off personally, but it is an option for those who don’t like the system.

• Like 4

I Agee with SashaGrace, not perfect but takes some of the stress of driving away and only use it on long motorway slogs, just wish I had ACC to go with it, perhaps in the next motor.

• Like 1

Same for me, its exactly the same as cruise control or other driver aids...

You can drive happily without it but I find you are much more relaxed & fresher when you arrive especially after a long journey when it is on.

• Like 2

Probably, the trunk road I commute on every day is well maintained, rare for the lane assist to be inactive even at night. I get the little green light on most of the time tbh, rare that it’s on yellow when the system kicks in over 40 mph.

OK, an update. I’ve just returned from the local Skoda dealership. The Sales Manager took my Scout for a short drive and announced that Lane Assist was directing him back into his lane, with his hands on the wheel. I saw nothing like that happen. I reached across and put my hands on the wheel when he attempted it again and felt nothing. I have emulated that vehicle manœuvre many, many times and felt nothing. When I asked how does he reconcile his advice with the Service team’s advice that hands must be off the wheel he said that he didn’t know, he is not a technical person. I’ve left a message for the Technical Manager to ring me. This is not going well.

On 10/04/2018 at 10:48, Jaco2k said:

slightly related:

What will happen when the roads are covered in snow?  I thought that's why the lines were yellow over there in the first place - so drivers could see lines through a bit of snow

1 hour ago, hwr1983 said:

What will happen when the roads are covered in snow?  I thought that's why the lines were yellow over there in the first place - so drivers could see lines through a bit of snow

When the roads are covered in snow and slush there is no possible colour that would work :)

You can tell the limits of the asphalt from some red plastic sticks that are placed apart through the road or you just follow the trails (that often break out of the lanes...) left by cars as winter progresses.

On 4/9/2018 at 13:15, Delaide said:

That’s very interesting ahenners. Mine is a newer model (2016, I’m pretty sure) but it seems it may not have the functionality of yours. If ‘Adaptive Lane Guidance’ is what causes your steering wheel to react when you forget to use your indicators, what exactly does ‘Lane Assist’ do?

Tried it once on very quiet Sunday morning returning home on the motorway. Manual car, cruise control set, thought what happens when I take my hands off the wheel, surprised to see steering wheel moving on its own, keeping me nicely in the inside lane. After several seconds got annoying warning telling me to put my hands back on the wheel. Pretty pointless bit of tech then, therefore never used it since.

Tried it out properly on a run a few days ago - I'd previously only tried it for short journeys and thought it was pointless. I have to say, I can see the appeal on a longer distance. However, it's far too sensitive to lack of input, ie. You can't just rest your hands on the wheel and let the car guide you without it prompting you to take over. I also found myself looking at the lines in the road more, wondering if it was going to pick them up and guide.

As such, I think it's got potential and I'll probably use it on longer journeys, but it's still too untrustworthy...

2 hours ago, mumphie said:

Tried it out properly on a run a few days ago - I'd previously only tried it for short journeys and thought it was pointless. I have to say, I can see the appeal on a longer distance. However, it's far too sensitive to lack of input, ie. You can't just rest your hands on the wheel and let the car guide you without it prompting you to take over. I also found myself looking at the lines in the road more, wondering if it was going to pick them up and guide.

As such, I think it's got potential and I'll probably use it on longer journeys, but it's still too untrustworthy...

Bit like the fully autonomous Tesla that drove into the side of a trailer crossing a road in the U.S.A. because the onboard cameras could not see a hazard ahead and killed the driver. Whoops!

• Like 1

Oh dear, there appears to be some confusion emerging here that mirrors what I’m facing with Skoda ... (sobs quietly). My issue, SHYVRS245, is not what happens when you take you hands off the wheel, it’s what happens when, through inattention/distraction (BUT WITH HANDS ON THE WHEEL), you allow the car to drift across your lane line. See my first post on the top of page 1. I add to this that I’m talking about Lane Assist, not Adaptive Lane Guidance; the distinction between these two is made in later posts.

• Like 1

The Adaptive Lane Guidance (in the UK at least) is part of the Lane Assist package, so they're both essentially the same thing. In fact, as far as I can tell, the Lane Assist is pretty pointless without the ALG. Forgive us for talking at cross-purposes!

No mumphie, that doesn’t appear to be the case. Look at some of the earlier posts, particularly ahenners photo of the menu screen. These posts advise that LA and ALG have distinctly different functions and can be selected separately.