mkIII Key fob case replacement?

Hey guys,

So yesterday the cast metal block that the key blade is inserted into (and held with a pin) cracked around where the key blade is inserted.  I only noticed because suddenly the blade didn't want to release from the body of the case when I pressed the release button.  I have super glued the blade into the block for now, and it's should hold up for a while, but I need to get a new fob case, or even just the metal block to repair it.  

I've looked all over the web, but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells a replacement fob case for the mkIII Octavia or other VAG cars from this age.  My fob looks like the one in the image attached.

Can anybody tell me where I can buy a replacement case?  Or if maybe the key blade mounting block from the previous generation fobs is the same?

Thanks!!

Skoda Key fob.jpg

Edited by TheTokRa

4 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Brilliant!!  thank you!!  Just what I need :).   Do you have any tips on how to get the inner halves of the case apart so I can transplant the PCB over to the new case?  I have been trying to get on one I have open without damaging it, but boy are they well clipped together!! I attached this youtube video, so I know what needs to be done, but.... Eeek!!

I’ve done Peugeot, Mercedes and Volvo ones, not tackled a VAG one yet. You’ll probably beat me to it as I’m not ready to take the key apart yet. Be careful removing the logo though, it’s easy to damage them. You can wreck the old case though which is handy :D 

I always change the key case so it feels nice and new and fresh, nothing worse than having a tatty key, annoys me how cheap the VAG key buttons are. My Octy buttons are almost worn out and the Citigo, which was bought new and covered up straight away in a silicone cover, it starting to wear on the buttons. I never got around to doing my Audi ones as they were tidy. Go figure...

5 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I’ve done Peugeot, Mercedes and Volvo ones, not tackled a VAG one yet. You’ll probably beat me to it as I’m not ready to take the key apart yet. Be careful removing the logo though, it’s easy to damage them. You can wreck the old case though which is handy :D 

I always change the key case so it feels nice and new and fresh, nothing worse than having a tatty key, annoys me how cheap the VAG key buttons are. My Octy buttons are almost worn out and the Citigo, which was bought new and covered up straight away in a silicone cover, it starting to wear on the buttons. I never got around to doing my Audi ones as they were tidy. Go figure...

Yeah,  The rubber buttons on the fob tend to swell up and bulge out from the case.  I don't need to worry about getting the Skoda Logo off my fob.  It fell off about a year ago. I kept it safe, and then it got sucked by the hoover by accident when I was hoovering :dull: LOL!!  I'll order a new one for my new case;)

• Like 1

I will do. I expect the new case to arrive around the middle of next week, so I'll hopefully have the case replaced by the end of the week.  It looks like the two halves of the original case are glued together, but I doubt the new one will be.  I doubt I will bother to glue the new case together unless it needs to be to hold the case together.

• Like 1

It seems a pretty standard construction and if so, you will probably need to transfer the circuit board and key blade to the new fob and glue it together. It’s been a while since I last had a car with a key blade, I’ve transferred more keyless fobs than non keyless, and on those you have to glue them together.

O.K. thanks!!

The replacement fob arrived today.  The casing is exactly the same, so not issues with that, but I can't do what I was intending to do, which was just swap the key blade from one key blade mounting block to the other.  The reason being that the replacement fob has a different sized split pin that is a bit wider in diameter, but also much shorter that the pin in the original fob.  I'll need to take the new fob to Timpsons to get a new key cut. I'll get that done at the weekend, and then transfer the electronics once that's done.

• Like 1

I took the casing of the new fob completely apart today, and the two main halves that house the PCB do just clip together, so if you don't want to, you don't have to glue the halves together once you've swapped the PCB over.  I think I'll add a few spots just for a bit more security though. 

• Like 1

Just to be clear about the problem I have with my key fob.  The youtube clip bellow shows exactly what has happened to mine, although mine hasn't quite fallen apart, yet.

Quick update:-  I went to Timpson's yesterday to get the key cut, but apparently due too issues with keys that were not supplied by Timpson's snapping, they won't cut my key.  They said I'd need to use one of their generic keys/ fobs. I do know one other place I can try to get the key cut, but I'm there once in a blue moon.  I might try to fit the original key into thenew block like I was originally going to do, but I'll need to source a new spring pin the right size.  Bare with me.......

• Like 1

I had the same with Timpsons actually when I tried to get an eBay key cut for our old Fiat. Ended up at a local locksmiths who said no guarantees but did cut it for me and actually had another look and tweaked it slightly when I popped back later to say I could start the car but not open the boot. 

Edited by uchuff

Quick update:- I went to the "local" lock smiths today to try to get my spare key cut, but it turns out that their laser key cutter is broken, and due to a lack of demand, they are not going to get it fixed:sadsmile:.  I have another place I can try, but it's not so local. Getting this key cut is turning out to be considerably harder than I had expected.  Bummer!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've now contacted a few places by e-mail in Glasgow that cut keys, but not one of them have replied back to me:sadsmile:.  I'll keep trying to get the blank blade  cut,  I'm not sure what else to try right now.

O.K. So I finally ended up buying another used key fob like my original one from ebay.  This used fob had the same key blade block, and same size of roll pin to hold it in place, just like my own original fob, but the blade block isn't cracked like mine was.  I butchered that to get the key blade block out, knocked out the roll pins and put my key blade into the block from the used key fob, and then installed that into the new key fob casing that I had already bought a good few weeks ago, along with the little PCB board from my original fob.  I used a few drops of super glue to help hold it together, but I should have used a bit more I think, but hey, it's fixed!!  It cost £8.00 for the new case w/o any electronics, and a further £9.00 for the used key fob with the PCB inside it.  so £17 to replace the case and key blade block :-)

Skoda_Key_Fob_Fixed.jpg

Edited by TheTokRa
  • Like 1

Wow.

Reading this thread, I'm glad my car came with 3 dealer supplied keys, all 3 full pukka OEM one's and I'll be looking after them :thumbup: :)

Glad you got it sorted.

• 7 months later...
On 13/04/2018 at 11:40, TheTokRa said:

Do you have any tips on how to get the inner halves of the case apart so I can transplant the PCB over to the new case? 

Just used this vid and replaced my case after my key was run over by an HGV...but doesn't work as I think the PCB must be totalled. Certainly one of the buttons looks like the damaged one highlighted in the vid. 

The old key blade is servicable, I guess I could transfer that to another PCB (used key?). Can this be programmed to the car with VCDS?

As I've electric seats and therefore got three keys with the car I'm not that worried if not I guess.

Edited by juan27

So having researched further looks programming a replacement key is dealer only.

I've seen this on eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202180634705

They seem to suggest a PCB repair might be possible. Anyone used them?