New Fabia 3.5

Just saw the new Fabia 3.5 this morning on the continent, didn’t even know it existed.  Found this photos here.  Led lights, 7” infotainment, all petrol lineup (and they have particulate filters!) and goodies such as lane departure warning, rear collision, blind spot detection... and...  the sporty number I saw in these photos had 18” wheels.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/fabia/102371/new-facelifted-2018-skoda-fabia-arrives-at-the-geneva-motor-show%3Famp

apologies if this was posted ages ago already.

• Thanks 1

I don't think there are any in the UK yet but I'm sure an eagle eyed Briskodian will see one here soon and let us know.

Well spotted!

Now we have a face-lifted version, when will Skoda fit a 2.0 TSI engine in it (in Polo GTI and Ibiza Cupra) and call it a vRS? They never initially made a vRS, it was only for the face-lifted versions of the Mk1 and Mk2.

3 hours ago, Leprejohn said:

Definitely will be ordering one as soon as they are available to order, shame that they won't have the 1.5 evo engine from the Ibiza  

There may be some excellent offers coming up on the current model as they try to shift them? 

Could be tempted to get a fully kitted out Monte dsg but maybe that would be silly:blush.

20 hours ago, RickW said:

There may be some excellent offers coming up on the current model as they try to shift them? 

Could be tempted to get a fully kitted out Monte dsg but maybe that would be silly:blush.

See I wouldn't mind probably doing this but I would rather get the FL as then it won't feel so much that I basically brought the same car twice if I was to exchange my 15 plate monte for say a 18 plate monte

I get that. I wondered how much off the current model would tempt me away from the facelift,although there will probably only be choices from stock.

I need to see the facelift car 'in the metal' to see if I can live with the new grille for starters. 

Also still not sure about having a car with a 3 cylinder engine;really need to test drive one to be convinced.

Edited by RickW

42 minutes ago, RickW said:

I get that. I wondered how much off the current model would tempt me away from the facelift,although there will probably only be choices from stock.

I need to see the facelift car 'in the metal' to see if I can live with the new grille for starters. 

Also still not sure about having a car with a 3 cylinder engine;really need to test drive one to be convinced.

3 cylinders FTW.

Small engined cars are the way forward they say, got to agree they are fun to drive and my 1.0mpi has near enough the same top speed as my mates 1.6 micra 160sr!!

Where I bought my mark 3 I payed £10k for a brand spanking new one so dealers will defo be doing discounts nearer the time.

Davy

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RickW said:

VW group have been making 3 pots for years. Nowt to worry about

^^^ They have been making 4 pots as well and look how many of those were lemons, 1.2 TSI early, 1.4 TSI Twinchargers & even some 1.8 & 2.0 TSI's.

DQ200 DSG cause them a problem it seems, made them for years, maybe 4th time lucky they will have sorted them out.

The 3 pot Diesels are discontinued and in Euro 6 & Euro 6.5 1.0 TSI's time will tell, because the are just 3 years old now.

Gasoline Particular Filters have not been part of the 3 pot petrols up to now.

PS

They have been making engines with timing chains and tensioners, and ones with belts and they still are learning it seems.

They have had cars with door seals for decades, over 100 years actually and still VW Group struggle to keep H2o out of vehicles.

Since they went Water cooled they still struggle with water pumps that last, and like with the 1.4 TDI Euro 6, using the correct coolant.

Hopefully finally they have their act together.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.

Edited by Offski

2 hours ago, RickW said:

The engines were changed last year, the 1.0 replaced the 1.2

This facelift is detail changes, new lights and infotainment etc.

Its not a new model like the Ibiza, its a relatively minor update, many of which are cosmetic.  Going to have to wait couple of years for full new model

What I would like to know is if an ex 1.2 dsg owner has now got a 1.0 dsg and have they noticed any real difference?

I'm really pleased with the way mine can pull away quickly,especially in sport mode. Would I feel the same performance in a 1.0?

The 1.0TSI 110ps  is slower on acceleration than the 1.2TSI 110ps in both manual and auto format. It has more torque but at higher engine revs but you prolly know all that. In actual driving of the 1.0 model, it feels roughly about the same but not quite as quick off the mark as the 1.2. I'm only talking about the 110ps engines of both engine sizes. I've not driven the lower powered 1.0 engine, and I don't own a 1.0 model. The 1.0 engined car is a terrific car though and perfectly matches the DSG box. It just revs more in general to produce it's power. Try a test drive Rick if you can get one, it's worth it!

17 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

The 1.0TSI 110ps  is slower on acceleration than the 1.2TSI 110ps in both manual and auto format. It has more torque but at higher engine revs but you prolly know all that. In actual driving of the 1.0 model, it feels roughly about the same but not quite as quick off the mark as the 1.2. I'm only talking about the 110ps engines of both engine sizes. I've not driven the lower powered 1.0 engine, and I don't own a 1.0 model. The 1.0 engined car is a terrific car though and perfectly matches the DSG box. It just revs more in general to produce it's power. Try a test drive Rick if you can get one, it's worth it!

Higher revs =noisier?

I will test drive one soon by the way.

Edited by RickW

2 hours ago, globalste said:

3 cyclinder engines tend to make more row than 4 cylinders ones anyway regardless of more revs

It is a different noise for sure as you are getting fewer bangs per rev.

Not really sure why it would be noisier though?

• Like 1

People seem to want a different noise than 1.2 TSI's produce, nothing special with them, and chain noises on start up on old ones.

People were talking 3 cylinder petrols as Porsche sounding pre turbo on them.    Each to their own....

The VW UP GTI with a 3 cylinder 1.0TSI 115ps is being raved about, but then VW have set it up, then added a false sound into the cabin....

I used to have a cayman and I’ve driven a 3cylinder vag and I sort of know what you mean, it must be something to do with the odd cylinders, the 5cylinder ford/Volvo engine made a sublime noise too.

is it like the sound symposer on the fiesta st?  Some people loved it, some hated it, I thought it was ok.

• Like 1

I loved my T5, new newer engine replaced the original @ low miles because they could be like chocolate fireguards with the wrong oil,

so lower VED with the more powerful engine and a new autobox was required only 66,000 miles, i swapped a Kia Picanto for it. 

An old car, but others moved out its way oddly, must have been the Dim Dip headlights being a bit blueish....

I really need to get myself a V60 Polestar.

Flabio & Zumba June 008.JPG

S60 2.0 T Engine 004.JPG

Edited by Offski

On 16/04/2018 at 10:32, RickW said:

Higher revs =noisier?

I will test drive one soon by the way.

Looking at the 'official' torque curves the 1.0 beats the 1.2 throughout the 1500-4500 rpm range. But having driven both the 1.2 still feels quicker, especially at the lower revs. I had to rev the 1.0 higher for that nice turbo woosh.

The difference is most pronounced when accelerating from below 2000rpm in top gear: the 1.0 grumbles, where the 1.2 just gets on with it.

I didn't think the instantaneous consumption figures were significantly better in the 1.0.

Don't get me wrong, the 1.0 is still a very nice engine, remarkably smooth for a 3-cyl (smoother than my 1.2) in general, and a reasonable emissions-regs-targeting replacement for the 1.2. But I'm really hoping they'll put the 1.4 ACT TSI in the Fabia next year.

Edited by ettlz
  • Thanks 1