Strong Vibration When Driving...Help!

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently bought a 2013 Skoda superb from a used car dealer. 

I started experiencing a vibrating sensation while driving 2 weeks ago. When I'm on the motorway at speed it's noticeable. I got the tryes balanced last weekend thinking that could be the issue, but it's still happening. Had it in the motorway yesterday and getting the same sensation. The faster I go the worse it gets. 

I can feel it through the steering and my feet, but also up through the seat. I had passengers as well and they could feel it 

I went to the Skoda garage, but the mechanics isnt back open until Monday. Obviously I'll be bringing it in during the week. Just wondering has anybody else had a similar issue?

Thanks

Just now, superbdreams said:

bent wheel/s ? dmf if fitted.

I never thought of a buckled wheel. DMF issue pops up a bit on forums. I'm hoping it isn't something like that. I have the car 2 months and have a 3 month warranty, but I'm not sure if that would be covered.

1 hour ago, MartyMcG said:

I got the tryes balanced last weekend thinking that could be the issue, but it's still happening

Have you completed the tyre geometry as well?

full-geometry.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MartyMcG said:

No, I didn't see the guys do that. I'll look in to it

That's not standard procedure, you only went to have the tyres changed, and they're changed and balanced ... if the rim is damaged (there is a tolerance which can be fixed/compensated with weights) it can still be put on the car, meaning it is road ready, but that doesn't mean much if you car's wheel alignment is off (it can be that any of the wheels is directed more to the opposite side or to the inside of the car that the normal tolerance), which can cause vibrations which get worse as the speed increases ... below is the example of the before & after to give you an idea:

532440d1304049146-997-2-c4s-alignment-sp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MartyMcG said:

I recently bought a 2013 Skoda superb from a used car dealer. 

I'd take it back to the dealer to fix before you do too much.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, vborovic said:

below is the example of the before & after to give you an idea

Forgot to add the "after" situation, here's one good example of what can be going on with your car tracks:

front-end-alingment.jpg

• Thanks 1

Likely a warped brake disk, or possibly even slightly binding brakes. Dodgy / loose engine mount maybe. 

Check for hot wheels at end of your journey.

Could be slightly buckled wheel although unlikely to cause vibration IMO. (I buckled one of mine but it still drove fine with it). The tyre will still keep it's shape.

I too would take it back whilst still in warranty as in it's current state it sounds unfit for purpose and possibly unsafe to drive.

Hope you get it sorted.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tilt said:

Likely a warped brake disk, or possibly even slightly binding brakes. Dodgy / loose engine mount maybe. 

Check for hot wheels at end of your journey.

Could be slightly buckled wheel although unlikely to cause vibration IMO. (I buckled one of mine but it still drove fine with it). The tyre will still keep it's shape.

I too would take it back whilst still in warranty as in it's current state it sounds unfit for purpose and possibly unsafe to drive.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks man. Appreciate the advice and information. 

On 4/15/2018 at 21:09, bigjohn said:

I'd take it back to the dealer to fix before you do too much.

It's not as easy as I'd like. The dealer is in the UK (northern Ireland) and I'm in the republic of Ireland. I have it booked in with a Skoda garage next week for them to take a look. I'll notify the dealer and let him know what's happening. Appreciate the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a 1.9 tdi Superb estate no dpf in NI last year and had the same issue. It was a 2010 with 45k miles and had been very well looked after, Probably never driven above 60 mph. I was told by a friend to let it come up to temp on the motorway then drop it down to 4th then gun the engine a bit, did this a few times and the shuddering dissappeared. Came back once or twice and did the same thing, cleared it both times. 

7 hours ago, TonyRN said:

Bought a 1.9 tdi Superb estate no dpf in NI last year and had the same issue. It was a 2010 with 45k miles and had been very well looked after, Probably never driven above 60 mph. I was told by a friend to let it come up to temp on the motorway then drop it down to 4th then gun the engine a bit, did this a few times and the shuddering dissappeared. Came back once or twice and did the same thing, cleared it both times. 

Also had a golf mk4 that started to shudder violently after 60mph, felt like it was coming from the front passengers side so changed wheel, problem persisted. Thought bearing, track rod etc..eventually turned out to be the back passengers tyre that had gone out of shape..it looked fine until it was taken off. Very odd but can happen. Hope this might be of help to someone. 

22 minutes ago, TonyRN said:

eventually turned out to be the back passengers tyre that had gone out of shape

This shouldn't happen in the OPs situation, because the tyres were balanced, any such distortions would have to be noticed by the tyre mechanic ... and with greater speed (say 100mph vs 60mph), you'd actually have less such vibration on such a tyre, so this should be easily ruled out in that case

Edited by vborovic

10 minutes ago, vborovic said:

This shouldn't happen in the OPs situation, because the tyres were balanced, any such distortions would have to be noticed by the tyre mechanic ... and with greater speed (say 100mph vs 60mph), you'd actually have less such vibration on such a tyre, so this should be easily ruled out in that case

100% correct vborovic, the shudder i felt came up through the accellerator pedal and then through the whole car, I have no idea what it was; but as I said earlier, brought the revs up in 4th a few times and the problem dissappeared. 

Did you get this resolved? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the rear tyres that had worn unevenly. It made the car feel unstable and felt as it there was a strong wind hitting the side/rear of the car when on the motorway.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Greenline3Matt said:

Did you get this resolved? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the rear tyres that had worn unevenly. It made the car feel unstable and felt as it there was a strong wind hitting the side/rear of the car when on the motorway.

I did! Exactly what happened to you it seems. Front tyre had a warp in it. Didn't notice it visually but when we took the wheel off and rolled it across the floor you could see it. Thankfully it was nothing mechanical! :)

On 5/7/2018 at 11:19, MartyMcG said:

Front tyre had a warp in it. Didn't notice it visually but when we took the wheel off and rolled it across the floor you could see it.

I'll juts say that you need to find a better tyre service from now on :)

On 5/1/2018 at 23:14, vborovic said:

This shouldn't happen in the OPs situation, because the tyres were balanced, any such distortions would have to be noticed by the tyre mechanic

FYI, I'm having issues with control arm bushes in our car, so even with a good wheel alignment you can have issues with tyre wear, noises. Apparently higher mileage Superbs should have their bushes done, exactly which bushes is what I'm trying to figure out..... trailing arm or control arm are my first guess, off to the mechanic!

• 2 months later...

I am currently having the same issue. Had a major vibration at motorway speed so had front wheels balanced and still the same. Had the back ones done only to find inside of both rear tyres had serious sawtoothing. Replaced both tyres and balanced them and had all wheels aligned. Still have the isssue. Visors and seats vibrate a repeatable pattern. Dealer out it down to a high spot on one of the new tyres so i had that replaced  still have the problem. Back to the skoda garage on Tuesday. 2017 octavia vra 67000km

Any ideas

I haven't had the problem reappear since and almost 10K miles later. I've talked this over with other Skoda owners  and it seems they can be quirky at times. Mine was defiantly some sort of problem with fuel combustion choking or something of that nature. I did not used additives but did change the brand of diesel I was using. You may have a dirty air filter, fuel filter or a glow plug about to fail. Check Tilt's post on brake discs binding or warping too. Best of luck.