Oil Temperature Gague ?

4 minutes ago, ahenners said:

To show the temperature of the oil one would imagine?

I guessed that ... lol ..  But what are the benefits of have seeing it ?  How does it help me knowing if it is 55C or 97C ?

2 minutes ago, AtomCom said:

I guessed that ... lol ..  But what are the benefits of have seeing it ?  How does it help me knowing if it is 55C or 97C ?

You can make sure the oil is up to temperature before going nuts and thrashing it. Similarly if you have been thrashing it you can keep an eye on the oil temp and make sure it's not getting too hot.

I'm sure there are other scenarios where it is  useful too. You can take it out of the driving data rotation if you don't find it's a benefit.

I wish my Mercedes had a proper oil temp gauge! They went to the trouble of removing the dipstick and replacing it with a computer to measure the oil and give me a level readout, but they didn’t think I’d like to be kept informed of the temperature of the oil. Strange.

3 minutes ago, ahenners said:

You can make sure the oil is up to temperature before going nuts and thrashing it. Similarly if you have been thrashing it you can keep an eye on the oil temp and make sure it's not getting too hot.

I'm sure there are other scenarios where it is  useful too. You can take it out of the driving data rotation if you don't find it's a benefit.

So you are saying, do not drive hard if oil temp is < 50C or > 100 C ?

Would it not be better to have a system that says something like under temp, normal, over temp ?  When you view the water temperature gauge you can easily see if it too hot without having to know the exact temp.

51 minutes ago, AtomCom said:

So you are saying, do not drive hard if oil temp is < 50C or > 100 C ?

Would it not be better to have a system that says something like under temp, normal, over temp ?  When you view the water temperature gauge you can easily see if it too hot without having to know the exact temp.

Oiltemperature is best above 100c. But not above 140c. Depends a bit on the oil too. 

I am careful until it is around 50-60c. After that I drive like I usually do.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I wish my Mercedes had a proper oil temp gauge! They went to the trouble of removing the dipstick and replacing it with a computer to measure the oil and give me a level readout, but they didn’t think I’d like to be kept informed of the temperature of the oil. Strange.

Mercedes say that it is not necessary with a dipstick. No refill between services. Audi did the same, but didnt have quite as good engines regarding oilconsumption.  

I thought it was above 80 that it was ok to push harder, that's what I do anyway.  Not sure where I read it may even have been in the handbook.

Just now, Gti Jazz Blue said:

Really glad my vRS has this and it is scary how long the oil takes to reach 50 degrees after the water temp is up to an indicated 90 degrees. I prefer to to drive it gently until the oils is showing at least 50 degrees, except if required for safety. Also like to let it cool to back to 100 on my last miles or so before turning off.

1 hour ago, mumphie said:

Slightly OT, but does anyone know if it's possible to code an oil level guage a la Audi?

I'm sure I've seen the option in VCDS, but would it not need a corresponding sensor/"electronic dipstick"? Or does it just use the same sensor as the low oil warning?

58 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

I'm sure I've seen the option in VCDS, but would it not need a corresponding sensor/"electronic dipstick"? Or does it just use the same sensor as the low oil warning?

Who knows? Could use the same sensor, I suppose.... Any idea where the coding parameters were?

3 hours ago, KjetilRos said:

Mercedes say that it is not necessary with a dipstick. No refill between services. Audi did the same, but didnt have quite as good engines regarding oilconsumption.  

I know they say that. They are liars because they fit a computer that breaks. I took 7.2 litres of oil out of my AMG, put 7.2 litres back in and the oil computer told me to drain 2 litres out. Stupid thing!

Edited by SashaGrace

2 hours ago, mumphie said:

Who knows? Could use the same sensor, I suppose.... Any idea where the coding parameters were?

09 central elecs I think - I'm sure I saw it on one of the dropdowns whilst coding my sidelights to come on with DRL's...I'll take a look next time I'm hooked up.

• Thanks 1