So I went and bought a Jaaaag

BMW Dealers reporting hardly anyone ordering the new M4 as nearly all orders are for the cheaper, more practical and better looking M3 saloon and no orders for white cars. Isle of Man Green as a free colour option seems popular with Shmee150 and Joe Achilles both placing orders for March/April delivery and Shmee150 selling his M8 Coupe and Joe selling his M2 Coupe to make garage space.

Interesting interview with Domagoj Ducek (Head of BMW Design) here in which he says:

In design, it’s not about the product being pretty or ugly. It’s about really making a statement and being unmistakably just one product.

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

As far as the traffic light grand Prix it is good sitting there making no noise and just put traction control off then accelerate away letting the big bore exhaust car in  the next lane as you leave then catching the pedestrians attention and catching you up at the next lights.  My car has no pedestrian warning noise up to 15 mph as supposedly required by law.

That's kinda the point of my rather long post. I used to think that things like traffic light GP potential was a good thing, but helped by owning a car that likes to stay stationary and blind fellow traffic light GP-ers with tyres smoke will it stays more or less stationary, I think I have realised that other things matter more. And it's the noise that I will miss most. I will never feel any attachment to an electric motor unlike many of my previous cars. 

Modding your electric cars performance will involve a bloke (or bloke-ess) checking your wiring will take the extra current, putting a 6 inch nail in for a master fuse and connecting to your cars mega brain with his smar****ch.....probably.  It's the opposite of sitting, waiting weeks while your cylinder head goes away for a polish and porting job and the never ending fettling and tweaking of things like carburettors to try and keep performance at it's peak potential. Things that take effort always provide more satisfaction in the long run. Although I grant you, chasing after the rust that infected my many Italian cars was not so satisfying :D 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Modding your electric cars performance will involve a bloke (or bloke-ess) checking your wiring will take the extra current, putting a 6 inch nail in for a master fuse and connecting to your cars mega brain with his smar****ch.....probably.  It's the opposite of sitting, waiting weeks while your cylinder head goes away for a polish and porting job and the never ending fettling and tweaking of things like carburettors to try and keep performance at it's peak potential. Things that take effort always provide more satisfaction in the long run. Although I grant you, chasing after the rust that infected my many Italian cars was not so satisfying :D 

It's already worse than that, you pay Elon to switch on the extra power. It was always there but you need the tick in the box.

Or you'll have to bribe your 14yr old nephew to hack your car.

I don't think any electric car will beat these sounds

3:00

5:00

And this nutter doing it in a Tee shirt

0:20

I know bikes sound not so great from miles off but the howl when you're on it.....B)

I think 70s cars maybe sounded the best

Edited by Aspman

It has to be an individual thing at the end of the day. I was slated by friends years ago while in my early twenty’s for driving Rover 800 Vitesse’s and 620ti’s when they were all driving Gsi Corsa’s and civic type R’s. I loved my 24V Carlton as well. For some people it’s simply down to brand image. The car they want to be seen in rather than the car they enjoy. For years I’ve been in the enviable position of not giving a S##t what people think. I’ve had and driven many of the cars people crave and dream about. Things like TVR Cerberas and a Sagaris, Ferrari, Lamborghini, XF RS, 997 turbo, E63, Various RS models from Audi etc etc. 
And the thing that surprises most folks who chase the image side of it, is that when it all comes down to it, I’d choose something like a Fiesta ST over all of them, as there’s nothing that damn special about any of them. It’s just something about the event of driving more than the pretentious nonsense that most people chase that I long for more than anything. I drive things because I just like cars. And if people could in a lot of cases just get past their own fake persona, their car choices would be completely different. 
I remember a Renault GTA turbo years and years ago. It was a terrible car to live with, but so much fun none of it mattered. It’s an experience I just can’t find these days. 

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Interesting interview with Domagoj Ducek (Head of BMW Design) here in which he says:

Car magazine did a similar interview with him and, as I read it I did think (excuse the terminology) "what a wazzock"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/02/2021 at 15:27, e-Roottoot said:

@Lady Elanorewhich EV's have you driven so far? 

Worth trying a Polestar 2 if you have not done.

As far as electric motors and attachment,  that had me LOL. but then that was just my mind on another subject.

I've driven only hybrids in any real anger so far, although one of the regular crew that I work with has a Tesla 3 that I have had a brief go in. We both decided that my M4 was a much more emotional experience. My emotion was mainly slow the 'heck' down, as he gave it some beans :D The Volvo look great and I think it is companies like this that will burst Tesla's bubble (if that financial bubble doesn't crash beforehand). Tesla may be theoretically wealthy, but the truth wealth of experience and knowing how to build a quality car is not necessarily their forte. I hate the excess weight of electric cars..and for that matter the ever-increasing weight of all the cars I l am interested in. The new C63 with it's teeny 2.0 engine is getting on for 2 tons with it's hybrid addition. Don't get me started with the weight increase of the M3/4. A wasted opportunity in probably BMWs last ever M3/4 car that is purely petrol powered.  It may well be a superb car to drive, but it's still sad they went in the direction they did 

• Like 1

I like cars with a bit of "grrrr" More electric means less "grrr". I've never owned a V8 and always hoped that one day I would. Perhaps I will have to jump next year if I can afford one, it might well be the last chance for it. Even then, they have yet another filter in the exhaust making them sound ever more muffled :(  I don't need 'pops' and 'crackles' just a naturally emitted sound (I have the synthetic sounds turned off in my car)

As i stick to the NSL these days as a max i find that grrr is of little importance and that flooring the throttle occasionally with nothing but road noise is enough now.

Nobody is really impressed much by other peoples grrr really within or beyond the NSL's, especially if it is in residential areas or even the beautiful countryside where the best UK driving roads might be.

• Like 1

Hence the idea of a V8. lots of "grrr" without breaking any speed limits. Anyhoo it's for me to enjoy and bystanders can either shake their heads at me or smile. I can't stop the future, but I have a bucket of sand on standby to stick my head in and hold on to my dreams as long as possible :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

Hence the idea of a V8. lots of "grrr" without breaking any speed limits....

I've had a long standing hankering for one of these as I think they've got a lovely rumble:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202006099957583?include-delivery-option=on&postcode=bn213uu&sort=relevance&radius=1501&make=PORSCHE&model=928&advertising-location=at_cars&transmission=Automatic&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=1

It's an itch I've not yet scratched though. 

Just a thought.

Gaz

17 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I like cars with a bit of "grrrr" I've never owned a V8 and always hoped that one day I would. 

I thought I'd 'scripted my V8 itch' when I got an Audi B6 S4 (4.2 V8) in 2003 but when the B7 RS4 came out in 2006 I had to have one.

The S4 was too 'nice' and only made 'delicate' V8 sounds but the RS4 in Sport with the exhaust valves open, with a non-resonated Milltek exhaust and a remap sounded like I wanted a V8 to sound.

Sadly retirement in 2016 meant the fuel bills of the RS4 were no longer affordable (22mpg average) hence the Octavia!

• Thanks 1

So as it's an M4 thread here's an M4 related thingie. It's the new MPE for the M3/4. It sounds similar to mine, but less bombastic and a bit more refined. Slightly more pleasant if I'm honest and not so 'exhaust fallen off the car' on start up as mine. Having said that the standard zorst sounds pretty good when they put it into Sports mode at the end. You can't tell if the relative loudness is the same owing to the auto gain on the recording device, but I suspect once well run-in, they will both sound pretty good. Surprising really as there is now yet another filter in the way

But those looks. As we've posted before on here, they are polarising, just as much as the front grills really and it looks like a new diffuser is needed. That's probably going to cost £5-6k all in, at list price, I guess :sadsmile: They really are pricing the car out of its current market, even with the discounts that will invariably follow eventually. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

But those looks. As we've posted before on here, they are polarising, just as much as the front grills really and it looks like a new diffuser is needed. 

Looks to be just another sign of BMW design having 'lost it's way' to me...   very 'naff' and tacky!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Looks to be just another sign of BMW design having 'lost it's way' to me...   very 'naff' and tacky!

It's not lost its way it's just not looking to us Brits/Europeans to make money. It's looking East.

Older cars sound better, it's a fact.

I was going to scratch my V8 itch with a Jag XFR but various issues in life have ended me up in the RR.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Having owned and revved V8's i must say those above sound like wet farts.

I was lucky enough to sell American V8 powered cars and trucks and nothing sound as good as they do, at least in V8 form. Audi, BMW and Mercedes V8s sound like they have lost their teeth compared to a proper Yank V8. To be fair to the straight 6, it only really comes alive aurally, when it is singing at higher revs with your foot down (under load) and then the yowl and bark start to come through. I don't think the V6 has ever quite met the aural challenge of the straight 6 'on song' but the V6 does sound better at lower revs and lower loads imho. 

Having said that ^^ I'd still love a go in one to see how it drives 

Edited by Lady Elanore

As the Chinese market loves a big grill BMW should save themselves loads of cash and pop a Rolls Royce grill on everything from the 1 Series to the X7 which almost has a Rolls grill anyway. This will push sales through the roof in the World's most important New Car Market. BMW Group had increased sales in China of 13.1% compared to 2018 with 723,680 BMW and Mini vehicles in 2019.

• Like 1