So I went and bought a Jaaaag

You shouldn't have to, but given the two visits from scrotes, might it be an idea to keep it elsewhere until next week?

Different level, but we looked after my Daughter's motorbike while she was away in Kenya recently, for fears that it wouldn't be there when she got back.

Gaz

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Can't believe how much cheaper the Jag is to insure, though. It's actually cheaper than my Peugeot 3008. I think Direct Line might have made a mistake, will have to chase it up when I get a day off.

Read the policy carefully, particularly fields that contain info you supplied. Only if those fields are wrong is there something that even potentially invalidates the contract.

It will never look as nice again. I will only park it outside my house and stare at it.  Spoke to a detailer who thankfully has no availability for 6 weeks, which gives me time to find some money to pay him :D It might be a rather parsimonious Christmas, but I will still be able to look at my shiny car to keep my heart warm. I might even let George have a sit in it. 

Sadly the downside of the PCP deal on this car is the final payment is rather high and as such I won't be able to keep the car I don't think 😞 Still it's a great way to go out before retirement and a life of Nissan Quashquuiuiuiuis 

• Like 2

Just now, Paws4Thot said:

Read the policy carefully, particularly fields that contain info you supplied. Only if those fields are wrong is there something that even potentially invalidates the contract.

I did read them pretty careful, but funnily enough, the engine and power is still showing that of my M3? But the model designation of the car can not be a 3.0. Might make a very interesting GAP claim if it was a total loss or similar 

There is an identicle one at Derby Inchcape that will be going for a song...

It's under a couple of feet of water at present. 😞 

1 minute ago, Paws4Thot said:

No, don't do it; don't buy a Cashcow!

The day will come. Unless the yeti makes a comeback :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColinD said:

I do like the look of that… graphite paint and hydro carbons… not a bad last hurrah before electrons.

I'm on Greta's personal hit list now 

Still pinching myself a bit :blush

• Haha 3

I'd have an F-Type over an M3 everytime. It looks so much nicer, a real sports coupe where (to me) an M3 looks like a boy racer's souped up saloon. I'm not a sports car enthusiast so looks would matter to me and that F-Type is a great choice.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

It looks great and I'm heartened to hear that you are leasing it before your retirement, you know what its going to cost you and you won't be faced with a huge hit if/when you came to sell it, so with that in mind I hope you get to see it hit by massive depreciation!

Only a couple of years ago both our lives were turned upside down and you were left with no employment, no income and no state support, really pleased to see that things have turned around for you!

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

Someone at work asked how much the M3 had cost me, so I did quick calculations, just on the monthlies of my PCP. 

I haven't included my sizable deposit for the first example for the following reason. I've used the equity in my PCP cars for many, many years and I've been fortunate to have bought mostly wisely  (lucky) in this regard, so the equity in my PCP has been going up for years when I sell the car on. The first car in this series, I think I put a £3k deposit down, which eventually turned into huge equity for my M4 (several cars later) and i had £10.3k in my M3. Basically I sell the car/part-ex and put the equity straight into the next car as a deposit. When my 'silly car' buying series comes to an end (this will probably be the last) I may have some equity, I may not, but in theory I should get back the £3k I initially put into these cars all those years ago and include the equivalent of the inflation that's been going on since then ie I'll get my deposit back, so I haven't actually spent anything in that part of the deal. It's a bit like Mike Brewers 'Trading up' series, where he takes a cheap car and any profit he gets from the sale he puts into the next one and so the value of the motors go up :)

Anyhoo, so here are two versions of the M3s monthly payments, if I take into account the equity part of the car that in theory I could have kept and simply not bought another car after the M3, ie if I stopped buying silly cars and just kept my little Peugeot, then the M3 would have cost me £125 a month

Or....... about £350 a month if I put my equity figure into the calculation, but remove the initial £3k, plus an adjustment for inflation. It's all a bit rough and ready, but it's in the ballpark. Many of the much cheaper cars I've had on PCPs have probably cost around the same overall.

I suspect the Jaaag will not hold its value too well though, as it has such a voracious appetite for dinosaur juice and Greta Thunberg has a hit squad looking for them. It does look as though the bubble has finally burst for second-hand values on certain types of car. It was known it would come, but I think the motor trade has been a bit shocked at the severity of it, there are a lot of now overpriced cars sitting on forecourts, which owe the dealers a lot of dosh. 

Btw, I've not taken the insurance into account with the above figures, as until this year (2 months ago) the M3 was about the same as the Peugeot! I suppose you could say the road tax was a little higher and fuel cost were more, but I didn't do huge mileage in the M3 and when I used it for work I get to claim mileage back from my company :) Also, it should be remembered that BMWs have a two year service schedule, so they aren't 'quite' as expensive as you might think...they still aren't cheap, sadly. Overall, I didn't get through any consumables while the M3 was in my car, although the tyres didn't look brand new any more ;)

Edited by Lady Elanore
Clarification of a badly worded post :(
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

nyhoo, so here are two versions of the M3s monthly payments, if I take into account the equity part of the car that in theory I could have kept and simply not bought another car after the M3, ie if I stopped buying silly cars and just kept my little Peugeot at £125 a month

Or....... about £350 a month if I put my equity figure into the calculation, but remove the initial £3k, plus an adjustment for inflation.

Can you explain that in terms a simpleton like me can understand, I think that I am missing something.

I think you are saying that when you hand over the M3 it will have cost you £350 a month overall, where does the £125 a month come from or was that the overall cost of the Peugeot?

You did say 2 versions of the M3 payments.

Re the photograph of the stunning interior looking across the centre console.

Why is there not a huge plastic tea tray LED screen sticking up?

Surely they are not allowed to build cars without one! 😄

If Jaguar can achieve it why cant all the other muppets?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Can you explain that in terms a simpleton like me can understand, I think that I am missing something.

I think you are saying that when you hand over the M3 it will have cost you £350 a month overall, where does the £125 a month come from or was that the overall cost of the Peugeot?

You did say 2 versions of the M3 payments.

I altered the first post a little with the inclusion of a few words in Italics But perhaps this is clearer? 

So the car I've just done the deal on had a huge deposit going into it. This came from the equity that I had in my M3 PCP deal, once the finance was settled. You can then look at the cost of the new car deal in a few different ways. One is that I have surprisingly low monthly payments for a pretty expensive car (they are still not cheap, at least for me), another way of looking at it is, yes the monthlies aren't that high (considering the sticker price of the Jag), but I also put a huge deposit into the deal, so in reality if you consider that deposit figure in with the monthly payment figures then I'm paying an awful lot per month for the car.

But, I look at it like this. Several cars ago, I put £3k into a PCP for a new vehicle, this by luck, more so than my good judgment :D  turned out to give me enough equity at the 'end of the finance agreement/point of sale' to recoup my initial £3k back and a little more than I expected. It is the same with all PCPs, you hope that your equity is slightly more than the settlement figure, this gives you a deposit to put down o a new car. In fact, that literally was part of the spiel I was taught to use when selling PCPs. But as several cars in a row have increased this equity part, I've just chucked it all back into the next car as a deposit, so i actually never get my hands on the cash between one car and the next. To sum that up, I've sort of forgotten about that initial £3k I used many years ago and just move from one car to another, letting the equity of the previous car do a lot of the heavy lifting on the finance of the new car. It's obviously ignoring that £3k investment, but it is my version of 'Man Maths' (woman maths?)  That gives the £125 figure for the M3 once I consider that I got £10.3k in equity from the sale. ie total monthly payments minus the equity released, divided by the number of payments.

A slightly more honest way of looking at the finance is to take into account the £3k initial deposit (the seed money if you like), which is still tied up in successive car deals, when you factor that into the monthly payments a more truthful figure of what the car is costing you emerges. I worked out that figure and also inflation adjusted £3k over the time it has been invested in several cars (I've never taken any cash out from the equity released in my car sales) and it gives a higher figure. £350 a month. ie total monthly payments, minus equity released once the initial £3k (plus inflation) has been removed, all divided by the number of monthly payments. This higher figure mentioned

Of course this is all because I have a huge amount of luck with car sales and surprisingly the Covid era helped this enormously and I suspect now that things are becoming a bit more sensible, deals will become more prevalent and used prices will continue to drop, so the Jag may have no equity in it at the end, potentially meaning that it was quite expensive to run after all. Nobody knows. Will the F Type become a classic as they "don't make em like that any more"? Or will it be lemon consigned to the dustbin because of emissions, petrol costs and general hatred towards the I.C.E. ? Time will tell, I guess. But the upshot of my good fortune has been that I have been able to just about afford to get into a silly car, possibly for the last time before retirement, but I've been smiled upon by the gods of motoring....I think... (assuming the F type doesn't turn out to be one of Jags often quoted "lemons")

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Re the photograph of the stunning interior looking across the centre console.

Why is there not a huge plastic tea tray LED screen sticking up?

Surely they are not allowed to build cars without one! 😄

If Jaguar can achieve it why cant all the other muppets?

This is because the tech in the jaguar is a couple of generations old. Jag didn't want to invest in the F Type as sales were too low, so Android auto etc still need a cable, the interior is not as well-made as the BMWs the central screen looks like it came from a car 10 years ago - which it more or less has. It has lots of buttons, which I like though, as once their position in memorised you can activate many functions without taking your attention from the road.

There is no way around it, the F type is a bit prehistoric, but like all the best dinosaurs, they are brilliant and who doesn't love a big dinosaur :) (Greta Thunberg not included) 

• Like 4

F Type is a very aesthetically pleasing car. 

more so than the m3 tbh, even if it doesnt have the performance ztats to match it. sometimes looks win...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

and who doesn't love a big dinosaur :)

You would like me then 😄

Thanks for the explanation, I believe that I get your man maths now so retract my hope that it has a lot of depreciation, if I've understood it correctly you are paying £350 a month (bargain!) and if the residual hold up you would get £10.3k back (or more, or less) making the effective payments £125 per month.

Either way its a bargain and a great motoring swansong, you had written the £3K off years ago so wont feel hard done by at the end if you come away with nothing as I'm guessing you will not lease the next car, if you get £10K or more then well done you for your shrewdness how ever long ago you started the journey.

I have no doubt the Jaguar will become a future classic but usually, sadly, they first have to go through a worthless and unwanted phase to thin the numbers out making them doubly sought after when they do become recognised.

Maybe this is the one to buy at the end of the period and lock away for a future pension?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

It has lots of buttons, which I like though, as once their position in memorised you can activate many functions without taking your attention from the road.

And this appeals to me in a way that touch screens never will...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You would like me then 😄

Thanks for the explanation, I believe that I get your man maths now so retract my hope that it has a lot of depreciation, if I've understood it correctly you are paying £350 a month (bargain!) and if the residual hold up you would get £10.3k back (or more, or less) making the effective payments £125 per month.

Either way its a bargain and a great motoring swansong, you had written the £3K off years ago so wont feel hard done by at the end if you come away with nothing as I'm guessing you will not lease the next car, if you get £10K or more then well done you for your shrewdness how ever long ago you started the journey.

I have no doubt the Jaguar will become a future classic but usually, sadly, they first have to go through a worthless and unwanted phase to thin the numbers out making them doubly sought after when they do become recognised.

Maybe this is the one to buy at the end of the period and lock away for a future pension?

The figures I was quoting were based on my M3. I only mentioned them as I was quite surprised at the outcome of it all. My M4 was similarly cheap too, at least for a car of its type. My honest opinion is the F Type will be easily the most expensive car I will ever run, but it is meant as a final 'blow-out' and a way of saying goodbye to daft petrol cars that have been an interest of mine my entire adult life. It will be a sad day when I end up driving a normal car more appropriate to an old retired biddy :D but you get to keep memories and they are much more visceral than even the best wish list fantasy :) 

By the way, I think of myself as a dinosnore too. Surely everyone love a dinonsnore :) ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

F Type is a very aesthetically pleasing car. 

more so than the m3 tbh, even if it doesnt have the performance ztats to match it. sometimes looks win...

I'm hoping the V8 makes up for the shortfalls :D Now if only I have enough money left to fill the 70 fuel tank  :crying:

• Haha 1

That Jag is glorious. Beautiful lines. Brings back memories of that episode of Top Gear when Clarkson was driving either a Jag or Aston Martin bemoaning the death of such cars, a fine piece of filming.

Just looked it up, TG s13 episode 7, he was driving the AM Vantage v12

Edited by BTandSid
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Ernie is almost certainly going to make me a millionaire on Wednesday, Amanda. Will send a few tanksworth your way. :biggrin:

Yes please. Although no rush. I pick the car up on Tuesday afternoon take it home (the long way around), park up and then leave it until next week :crying: Have to work to pay for the petrol 

12 minutes ago, BTandSid said:

That Jag is glorious. Beautiful lines. Brings back memories of that episode of Top Gear when Clarkson was driving either a Jag or Aston Martin bemoaning the death of such cars, a fine piece of filming

I miss the proper car parts of old Top Gear 😞 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 2