So I went and bought a Jaaaag

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

I miss the proper car parts of old Top Gear 😞 

I saw TG is getting canned. No idea if there's a last series to be screened or if that's it.

I don't know if there's any decent car shows left any more. I was underwhelmed with Fifth Gear Recharged and that new Channel 4 one with old bangers is just pants. 

On 27/10/2023 at 20:56, Lady Elanore said:

20231025_172917.thumb.jpg.9b35278d21135a4b9e87dee3e39d2934.jpg20231025_173019.thumb.jpg.175645c9dfabd8c060daffc5e42f1834.jpg20231025_172937.thumb.jpg.9525b70381f65fdfdc9ca18ec930ba4c.jpg20231025_172952.thumb.jpg.9016421fea42181917b4c4bf7f5d10fc.jpg

I might leave the keys in the Beemer, as it has GAP insurance...I just need a way to figure out how I could claim I wasn't a total pillock and left the keys in the car :D As it stands I've shoehorned the car in on my drive and jammed another car across the front of it. Only got to last another 4 days. Can't believe how much cheaper the Jag is to insure, though. It's actually cheaper than my Peugeot 3008. I think Direct Line might have made a mistake, will have to chase it up when I get a day off. 

That Is very lovely looking thing! 

It really shows the likes of BMW how design should be done

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, @Lee said:

I saw TG is getting canned. No idea if there's a last series to be screened or if that's it.

I don't know if there's any decent car shows left any more. I was underwhelmed with Fifth Gear Recharged and that new Channel 4 one with old bangers is just pants. 

The press were reporting that TG's latest series was canned. Maybe Freddie said no to its airing as part of his settlement?? His face is certainly a real mess, even after surgeries 😞 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, @Lee said:

that new Channel 4 one with old bangers is just pants. 

Its Bangers & Cash not Bangers & Pants 😀

Mind you one of that name sounds like it would be entertaining!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 28/10/2023 at 11:10, Luckypants said:

I'd have an F-Type over an M3 everytime. It looks so much nicer, a real sports coupe where (to me) an M3 looks like a boy racer's souped up saloon. I'm not a sports car enthusiast so looks would matter to me and that F-Type is a great choice.

Enjoy!

Thank you :)

To be fair to the M3, it is a faster car than the F Type, in every way except top speed. I think the F Type is positioned as somewhere between a GT and a sports car, whereas the M3 is positioned as a weapon. 

If anyone wants a practical 4 door, that is ridiculously quick and has more roadholding that any car that weight deserves to have, then the M3 is worth considering. Astonishing accomplished car. But it felt like you had to drive at 9/10s to get near the real fun zone, whereas the older Jag, should be a little more accessible in that department. If you want to drop that boy racer on your tail, I can't think of many cars that can do so as easily as the M3  XDrive. I didn't get around to track'ing the car and probably would have been able to enjoy it more if I did (except the tyre and brake bills might be a bit much).

But...

Sometimes less is more....except BHP of course :D (and the drop in insurance is nice too) 

• Like 2

On 29/10/2023 at 21:58, @Lee said:

Never really bothered with TG since Clarkson, May and Hammond stood aside. There’s been no one since that matched their enthusiasm and sheer fun 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, BTandSid said:

Never really bothered with TG since Clarkson, May and Hammond stood aside. There’s been no one since that matched their enthusiasm and sheer fun 

The Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc era needs to have all the tapes destroyed IMO 

It started getting better with Paddy McGuiness/ Harris and Flintoff but yeah, Clarkson, Hammond and May were the best years. 

• Like 2

I still think there is a place for TG, but it needs to reset. More serious car stuff, with lots of gratuitous slow motion and epic classical scores. Then add humour back in slowly until it feels right. Keep Chris Harris and add a couple of other presenters. At one more car guy/gal (like the James and Jeremy being genuine car jorno's), perhaps someone like Tiff, Jason Plato, Jason Dawes, or Jonny Smith :nod:  They can also a woman if they other wo are both men, but it has to be for the right reasons. VBH would be an easy fit, but also Ginny Buckley or Penny Mallory would also be worth a look.

Personally I'd love to Steve Sutcliffe in a car show, as he is a superb driver, probably the best car journalist driver out there - he taught Chris Harris a lot and drove an F1 car getting very close to the professionals times. Oh and Steve also raced the feared Tuscans, the scary ones, not the road car ('ve also got a bit of a crush on him). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BTandSid said:

If only Clonkson hadn't been an aggressive bully when fuelled by drink, we would possibly still have proper TG. I wonder if he has mellowed a bit now he is a farmer and could go back to the Beeb with the gang? 

• Like 1

I think it (the punch) was planned and orchestrated but as you are an industry insider what is your perhaps informed view?

I think the news reported correctly. Hangry presenter with a temper, missed his food slot and took it out on an underling (although he was quite a senior person that Clonkson thumped). 100% Clonkson fault, he behaved in an appalling manner. I'd have pressed charges if he had done that to me.

I wish he hadn't done it though, as most importantly, he shouldn't have hit another person, but also because it deprived me of a show I loved. Even my mum, who couldn't drive and couldn't care less about cars, enjoyed the show. 

• Like 3

Here's an interesting thing. So my Jaaaag has some pretty old software and hardware in it and therefore doesn't have wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay, but does have a wired connection, so I bought a dongle to help with this.

I got the AAWirelss Android Auto (not 'that' AA and I think it’s also available for Apple) retails for about £60. Simply plug it into the car's USB connector, wait a minute or so while everything boots up for the first time and pair your phone as you would with a wireless Android Auto connection. That's it! and you seem to have full functionality. Not noticed any bugs yet, only time will tell. I'll buy one for my Peugeot which is similarly afflicted :) 

here is a link to the badger...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B71XC7VG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1

Maybe you are the person for me to ask Amanda, you seem to have a way of explaining things that I understand.

I'm always making definitive statements that I end up doing a U turn on, I was never going to get a smartphone, a cheap Chinese head unit would do me with its built in shatnav, I didn't need or want, or understand come to that Android Auto, Carplay or whatever.

So here I am with a shonky head unit that kind of works, no functional bluetooth remaining after removing the original radiowhich was fine when I didn't have a smartphone or bluetooth on the old phone.

Now that I have one (smartphone) I realise that often Google maps are better than the Chinese sick note shatnav and that something like Waze would be even better especially for finding actual businesses rather than addresses, also it would be good to use the bluetooth on the phone to recieve and make calls, at present I dont make them and its disturbing for it to ring for an incoming phone.

The head unit has some USB ports and I ran a USB cable up to the dashtop cubby for charging a phone, it does not appear to have any means of mirroring (if thats the right term) the phone (AA or carplay?) is what they do to have your phone screen on the satnav display and you can use that to access the phone functions as you would using the phone screen?

Can that be done by connecting the phone to the USB cable or does it need an adaptor like yours?

I hope that I have managed to explain what it is I'm hoping to be able to do without having to replace the head unit, I dont mind plugging the phone in, it does not have to be wireless connectivity plus I assume that when plugged in it would charge.

Over to you or anyone else that may be able to guide me or tell me its just not possible & that I have done the buy cheap by twice thing again.

Edited by J.R.
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Maybe you are the person for me to ask Amanda, you seem to have a way of explaining things that I understand.

I'm always making definitive statements that I end up doing a U turn on, I was never going to get a smartphone, a cheap Chinese head unit would do me with its built in shatnav, I didn't need or want, or understand come to that Android Auto, Carplay or whatever.

So here I am with a shonky head unit that kind of works, no functional bluetooth remaining after removing the original radiowhich was fine when I didn't have a smartphone or bluetooth on the old phone.

Now that I have one (smartphone) I realise that often Google maps are better than the Chinese sick note shatnav and that something like Waze would be even better especially for finding actual businesses rather than addresses, also it would be good to use the bluetooth on the phone to recieve and make calls, at present I dont make them and its disturbing for it to ring for an incoming phone.

The head unit has some USB ports and I ran a USB cable up to the dashtop cubby for charging a phone, it does not appear to have any means of mirroring (if thats the right term) the phone (AA or carplay?) is what they do to have your phone screen on the satnav display and you can use that to access the phone functions as you would using the phone screen?

Can that be done by connecting the phone to the USB cable or does it need an adaptor like yours?

I hope that I have managed to explain what it is I'm hoping to be able to do without having to replace the head unit, I dont mind plugging the phone in, it does not have to be wireless connectivity plus I assume that when plugged in it would charge.

Over to you or anyone else that may be able to guide me or tell me its just not possible & that I have done the buy cheap by twice thing again.

I think the Android Auto and Apple Carplay is proprietary and so if the head unit didn't come with it, or state it had it, then it won't work.  The dongle thingy I bought, connects to my smart phone via wifi and then it does the heavy lifting over a USB cable with my car, but my car head unit does have Android Auto installed, it's just it expects a cabled connection. I find this a faff, as not only can I forget my phone and leave it in the car, but it means that my phone's USB connector gets a bit of a constant workout, not something that they are known to withstand too well over time. I think your situation is a bit like having a record you want to listen to, but don't have a record player on which to put it. 

Mirroring your phone is a slightly different thing, but even then, some things can't be mirrored because of digital rights management (DRM). Android Auto and CarPlay are your best bets, but you need the headunit to support them from the get go, as far as I know. There might be Brisky peeps who know of a workaround, but I've not come across them.

TomTom are always doing sales with 40-50% off, if you want to go old school and you should be able to send address to the device remotely from a phone or PC etc (assuming you don't get the lowest spec ones), plus for a subscription you get camera alerts, which in my experience are better than the free ones you get with Waze. I run an old TomTom for this reason...well, that and the fact it was sold with lifetime Camera updates for free. Also many of the TomTom units have BluTooth built in so you can use them for phone calls. They are not great, but reasonably serviceable.  Garmin do similar stuff I should think and they used to sell one satnav that had a drive recording camera built into it! 

Sorry I can't be of more help 😞 

Edited by Lady Elanore

Thanks, you were very helpful and I understood it!

I was hoping to be able to connect my phone by USB cable and then use the head unit touch screen to use its functions like Google maps.

I used to have a Tom Tit but the screen was very small and with vision in only one eye you dont want to be spending time squinting at a small object, you want to view the road with an occasional glimpse at an easy to read screen.

It was being a passenger in a then newish Mondeo with built in satnav, reversing camera etc that made me realise the benefits despite my labelling them as gimmicks, the screen size and also the sound coming from the vehicles speakers, I was pleased to find I could fit a cheap head unit in my then Octavia and then the Yeti to get all this functionality.

I could not go back to a tiny dash mounted Tom Tit but recognise that the satnav software is quite lacking and several times have resorted to using Google maps on the phone with it propped in front of the gearlever which is a backward step safety wise.

There is an "Auxilliary" option on the screen menu, I think its for the USB connection as it says "no aux found" I will try plugging in the phone and seeing what happens which is usually my way instead of asking for advice or help.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

Dunno what world y'all live in.  Sounds wonderful, even if ( because ? ) it aint the Octy 1 TDI world that surrounds me.  :)

I understand, on my MK1 it was a radio cassette with CD multi-changer in the boot, the MK2 had an even more basic radio but it was the double DIN size and compatible connectors, it may have been possible on the MK1 but I did not know of the existence of the head units then.