Turbo and oil consumption

Filipelol

So my 1.2 TSI is burning some oil, 1litre the past 6000km.

Also had a pool of oil in the intake plenum and the pipe from the turbo to the throttle body coated in oil.

The pcv on this engine comes from the valve cover directly to the turbo so I assumed the oil came from that so I cleaned the pipes and turbo then routed the pcv to the ground.

After inspecting the turbo and pipe a few kms later they are still covered in oil, so does my turbo need some attention ? Maybe seals? Anyone with the 1.2 TSi experienced oil burning and found a cause? 

Also:

- Have bought and put in new pcv valve and routed it to the turbo again.

- Had the notorious "fresh air inlet" broken off and a few pieces got stuck inside the cover.

First image is how the turbo was plugged and where the pcv attaches, second picture is the oil in the turbo after running a few kms with pcv routed to ground(same with pcv routed to turbo), third picture is the turbo impeller with a little damage on the center(chunk missing).

IMG_20180614_181739.jpg

IMG_20180614_181728.jpg

IMG_20180614_181725.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi @Filipelol,

I have also a 1.2 TSi engine (on my 2013 VW Jetta). My breather valve (the one going from the airfilter box into the valve cover) was broken, so, in order to replace that valve, i took down the pressure pipe going from turbo to the throttle body.
I have seen that the entire pipe had an oil film inside. When looking into the throttle body, there was also some oil. I pushed the throttle flap with my finger and there it was: a puddle of oil inside the intake manifold.
I took apart the fresh air pipe entering the turbo and found oil also in there (same as in your pictures)

I did not performed a test like you did, but started to look into some engine documentation found on some Russian Audi forum (added here as an attachment - it is in russian, but google translate helped and the images are helping also). I noticed that the PCV system on 1.2 TSI is somehow integrated within the engine itself and it has an oil separator located under the inlet manifold, near the oil pan. The engine blow-by gases are routed through some internal canals into this integrated oil-separator. There, the oil should be removed from the gas mixture and returned into the oil pan. The supposed oil-free gases are then routed through other internal canals either directly into the inlet manifold, or into the valve cover (as in your first picture) depending on where the vacuum is present.

The valve removed by you during the test it is a non-return valve (part-number: 03F 103 493 A). I also removed that valve and noticed that the green rubber o-ring (the one going deeper into the valve cover) was pinched and assumed that the oil was sucked by the turbine through there, so I replaced that valve also. I assumed that the oil separator mentioned earlier is doing its job as designed.

I cleaned the oil from all the pipes, and also from turbo and inlet manifold and drove the car about 300 km on a weekend trip. After getting back home I checked again the pipes and the inlet manifold - it was clean, but still had some oil moist inside the pressure pipe.
Today, after 6 months or even more I did checked everything again. There is no more oil puddling into the inlet manifold, no more oil inside turbo, but there is that oil moist into the pressure pipe and it had some oil drops hanging on the pressure pipe green o-rings.

So, today I decided to try to install an oil catch can between the valve existing the valve cover and the entry into the turbo. I will post here as soon as I get this installed.

In conclusion, in your case, even that your test indicates that the oil inside turbo might have nothing to do with the PCV system, I think that the oil you found after driving 10km with pe PCV venting into the athmoshere, was some oil which remained inside the compressor housing. Also, the missing chunk on the center of the impeller is normal - when the impeller is balanced, that center piece of metal has the same role as those small weights attached to the wheels after changing the tires, but in the turbo case, the weight is placed into the center of the impeller, the impelled is totated at high velocity and a computer is balancing the weight by cutting a small chunk of metal into a position determined during the process.

PS. What is the current state with your turbine? Did you fixed it? Was there a problem inside the turbo (a leaking seal)? 

Greetings from Romania

pps_485_audi_dvig_1_2_tfsi_rus.pdf

Hi there, thank you for your response

After my post I replaced both fresh air inlet valve and non return valve and the car still "burned oil" and had oil on the intake pipe and intake manifold, and after that I've done a compression test with positive results so I thought maybe it was turbo or oil control rings, but I didn't do anything until very recently, a few months ago I noticed my oil separator on the back of the engine was leaking so maybe something is clogged inside of the separator making it possible for the oil to be sucked through the turbo.

Since my car is parked for awhile I started to do some things on it, I soaked the pistons in kerosene through the spark plug holes for 3 days while manually rotating it to see if it would maybe free up the oil control rings, started the car and let it run for a while, everything seems fine but haven't driven it yet, also i noticed my sump was leaking.

So tomorrow or Wednesday and taking both the sump and oil separator out to have them both cleaned and sealed again and change the oil, so hopefully it stops using oil like it used too.

I'm also looking for oil catch cans but having some trouble finding a setup like I want for my budget, don't want to run the hoses or catch can inlet smaller than 19mm so there is no restriction, very curious to see your setup!

I'll tell you if the separator was clogged or if everything I've done fixed the consumption.

I'll leave a picture of my car of how its sitting waiting for all this to be over ahah

Greetings and stay safe!

IMG_20200407_140351.jpg