Suggestions for a good air compressor

widdershins

My car came with the spare under the floor rather than the slime can option and my old pump gave up the ghost, so I'm needing a new one for the boot.  I'm hoping for some recommendations for ones to look at or ones to avoid from the folks around here who've purchased one. 

I'd prefer it to work off the aux/cigar sockets rather than clip to the battery purely for convenience.  This however runs into the max limit of 10A of current draw from the Yeti's sockets.  I'm not too bothered about gimmicks like flashing lights, jump start capability, built in radio and jacuzzi, or whatever.  Only important things are current draw, flow rate of air, build quality, and size, even a pressure gauge is optional as there's already both a digital and a mechanical one lying under the boot floor somewhere.

So does anyone have any good or bad aftermarket compressor experiences they'd care to share?

• 4 weeks later...

The Skoda one that came with the can of sealant works well. And is quieter than my shrieky old one, now binned. The guage is pretty good as well and readings almost match my preferred screw-on one. So I suggest you search ebay or Amazon for an oem pump.

On 01/01/2019 at 18:25, Fin69 said:

You may find this of interest. 

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/89534/best-mini-air-compressors-for-car-tyres-2018

I have A Ring one similar to the above, and find it fairly easy to use and accurate.  

I have that exact Ring (Ring 12v Preset Digital Air Compressor RAC 635).

I'm happy aside from the screw-type valve. Would strongly advise a non-screw type is possible as it's a PITA in the cold weather.

Otherwise has been an excellent tool and inflates fairly quickly compared to an old cheap one I had.

Neighbours and even my dad was impressed at the speed of the ring.

I quite like the ability to pre-set the pressure you want and let it automatically inflate to that.

Built in torch is also quite handy in the long winter nights.

And I'd recommend screw on, rather than push on, for both inflators and tyre pressure gauges.  Many push-on devices can deflate tyres in my personal experience.

• Like 1