Sat Nav Sd card

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums and i have just purchased a Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI SE L on a 65 plate.

The car did not come with an SD card for the sat nav something i should of checked before purchasing the car, i didnt buy from a dealer, but i am now stuck with it and looking for a solution.

i have spoken to the dealer and they have informed me that the sat nav SD cards cost £240 and no garentee it will work and i would be better off looking for one online. 

i also spoke to them about activating the smart link but this is on Back order and they are unsure of when it will be available .

Can any one help?

if i purchase one from ebay which one would i need to ensure it was compatible? or is it worth just waiting for the smart link to become available for google maps on android auto?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you .

If you have an Amundsen sat nav then you MUST use a Skoda SD card as it contains hidden secure data which the Amundsen requires to identify the SD card.

If you don't have an AMundsen then you can use any SD card to update the maps as they are copied to an internal hard drive.

I had the same problem when I purchased my 15 plate Octavia from Sparshatts - they didn't provide a SKoda SD card, so I just bought one off eBay for £30!

As yours is a 65 plate you may have either a MIB1 or MIB2 depending on the build date (mine was an April 2015 build so it has a MIB1).

Just now, PetrolDave said:

If you have an Amundsen sat nav then you MUST use a Skoda SD card as it contains hidden secure data which the Amundsen requires to identify the SD card.

If you don't have an AMundsen then you can use any SD card to update the maps as they are copied to an internal hard drive.

I had the same problem when I purchased my 15 plate Octavia from Sparshatts - they didn't provide a SKoda SD card, so I just bought one off eBay for £30!

As yours is a 65 plate you may have either a MIB1 or MIB2 depending on the build date (mine was an April 2015 build so it has a MIB1).

Hi Dave, Thank you for replying.

i did try a standard SD card so i'm assuming i have an Amundsen unit,

How do i confirm which MIB unit i have?  ive noticed the SD cards have very simialr part numbers the 2 ive seen have the following numbers:

5E0 051 236E

5L0 051 236H

Any ideas which ones would be best? both say they fit a skoda octavia but Ebay sellers will say anything :) 

My MIB1 uses the 5E0 051 236 SD card, my guess (and it is only a guess, hopefully someone with a MIB2 Amundsen will confirm or correct) is that the 5L0 051 236 is for the MIB2?

You can get the Amundsen to show details of the current maps, that will tell if you have a MIB1 or MIB2.

I might be able to help.  Bought this on Brisky a couple of weeks ago.  It's out of a 2016 car.  My early 2015 ('15 plated) car doesn't like it, saying it doesn't have relevant data, but it may well work in yours.  Worth a go if you're interested:

IMG_1340.jpg

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

29 minutes ago, V6TDI said:

I might be able to help.  Bought this on Brisky a couple of weeks ago.  It's out of a 2016 car.  My early 2015 ('15 plated) car doesn't like it, saying it doesn't have relevant data, but it may well work in yours.  Worth a go if you're interested:

IMG_1340.jpg

Gaz

Hi gaz,

Did you manage to get yours sorted?

I will keep this one in mind as i have already purchased one off ebay meant to be off a 2015 which is what my octavia is fingers crossed.

I am hopefully going to be able to get the smartlink working which means i wont need the sd card but would be nice to get all the original features working.

Luke

18 minutes ago, cutlerl12 said:

Hi gaz,

Did you manage to get yours sorted?

I will keep this one in mind as i have already purchased one off ebay meant to be off a 2015 which is what my octavia is fingers crossed.

I am hopefully going to be able to get the smartlink working which means i wont need the sd card but would be nice to get all the original features working.

Luke

I already have a working SD Card and was just being lazy as the one I bought had 2018 maps on it, so my plan was to use the new card and practice updating on my old card.  Didn't work out that way though.  I'd quite like to pop it in a younger Amundsen unit though to check if it's just that it's not backward compatible with mine.

Gaz

PS:  The original one that works in my Amundsen does have a different number (5EO - on the left):

IMG_1312.jpg

Edited by V6TDI

15 minutes ago, V6TDI said:

I already have a working SD Card and was just being lazy as the one I bought had 2018 maps on it, so my plan was to use the new card and practice updating on my old card.  Didn't work out that way though.  I'd quite like to pop it in a younger Amundsen unit though to check if it's just that it's not backward compatible with mine.

Gaz

PS:  The original one that works in my Amundsen does have a different number (5EO - on the left):

IMG_1312.jpg

I am hoping the card i have bought will work , if not i will try to format it and update it, i will let you know how i get on .

• 1 year later...

Also have a rapid year 2016 which has a seperate SD card unit for sat nav.  Dealer at Arnold Clark said it would cost £30, then when I went down he said oh it is only £30 when bought along with car and would cost me over £100. Anyone here got one cheaper I can buy? 

13 hours ago, hibbydavy said:

Also have a rapid year 2016 which has a seperate SD card unit for sat nav.  Dealer at Arnold Clark said it would cost £30, then when I went down he said oh it is only £30 when bought along with car and would cost me over £100. Anyone here got one cheaper I can buy? 

Try @Rustynuts

• 3 months later...
On 11/01/2019 at 19:34, cutlerl12 said:

Hi all,

managed to get the card working that i orderd off ebay had to reformat and update and it loaded straight up thank god all sorted for 30 pound!

Hi there, just ordered one of these for my 2018 Kodiak. How did you reformat it?  Thanks a million

Just format it as FAT32 in your computer or card reader.  Then download the updates and unzip on your computer.  then copy the MAPS folder to the SD Card.

• Like 1