Dpf light on but I just went on a highspeed road trip

Davedave

I went to a ski resort in cold winter conditions in my volkswagon 2012 tdi and I accidentally left the light on all day. I ended up getting a booste from someone and made it home alright. The next day around mid day my dpf light went on. I was confused becuase how could there be soot build up if I just went on a 2 hour drive going at a high speed just the day before. I went for a drive on the highway to clear it but nothing. There are no signs of any dpf failure but active regen is turning on once in a while now when I start it. It's been a week since the dpf light went on and ive tried many trips on the highways and unplugging my battery. Any help is much appreciated, thanks! 

Welcome.

Sorry no idea, i have a 2 1/2 year old TDI with 45,000 miles on it that gets driven in a spirited manner, and is now not only doing regens lots but after a few shorts trips or starting up in cold weather has the DPF light on for 15 miles now regularly.

What TDI engine in what VW and how many miles has it done, and has it had the Emissions fix.

I expect the drive to a ski center was not at that high a speed was it?  or was this on a autobahn?

Edited by Skoffski

3 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Welcome.

Sorry no idea, i have a 3 year old TDI with 45,000 miles on it that gets driven in a spirited manner, and is now not only doing regens lots but after a few shorts trips or starting up in cold weather has the DPF light on for 15 miles now regularly.

What TDI engine in what VW and how many miles has it done, and has it had the Emissions fix.

I expect the drive to a ski center was not at that high a speed was it?  or was this on a autobahn?

Thanks for your reply, it is a 2.0T vw diesel engine. I was going 50-75 miles for 2 hours there then 2 hours back. It has not had an emissions fix. 

23 minutes ago, Davedave said:

Thanks for your reply, it is a 2.0T vw diesel engine. I was going 50-75 miles for 2 hours there then 2 hours back. It has not had an emissions fix. 

So not actually a high (engine) speed drive then. That would mean holding an intermediate gear to keep the revs and gas flow rate up.

Beyond that, I'd suggest getting fault codes cancelled and see if they come back given the circumstances.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

So not actually a high (engine) speed drive then. That would mean holding an intermediate gear to keep the revs and gas flow rate up.

Beyond that, I'd suggest getting fault codes cancelled and see if they come back given the circumstances.

Yeah but overall before the light came on I was doing a lot of highway driving. After the light came on I went on the highway for around an hour at 2500 revs and the light still stayed on. I'm taking the car today to the mechanic to see if the light needs to be reset. 

Edited by Davedave

How many miles has it done, that could be key?

The only way you're really going to find out what's what is to get some diagnostics done.  A cheap way of getting a better idea is to buy a Bluetooth ODB reader and buy the VAG DPF app (£3 or so).

This will tell you what short of state your DPF is in i.e. whether it's been able to regen and clear the soot or if the oil ash residue has reached a critical level.

1 minute ago, Russ77 said:

How many miles has it done, that could be key?

The only way you're really going to find out what's what is to get some diagnostics done.  A cheap way of getting a better idea is to buy a Bluetooth ODB reader and buy the VAG DPF app (£3 or so).

This will tell you what short of state your DPF is in i.e. whether it's been able to regen and clear the soot or if the oil ash residue has reached a critical level.

The car has done 90miles but its in great condition and never given me a dpf problem. I'll check the soot level later today but in the mean time I wanted to figure out what could be going on. I don't have any symptoms of a faulty dpf and my driving style doesn't cause the dpf to be filled. My main concern is when I boosted my car. Is it possible to have a computer error the day after you booste a car? 

3 minutes ago, Davedave said:

The car has done 90miles but its in great condition and never given me a dpf problem. I'll check the soot level later today but in the mean time I wanted to figure out what could be going on. I don't have any symptoms of a faulty dpf and my driving style doesn't cause the dpf to be filled. My main concern is when I boosted my car. Is it possible to have a computer error the day after you booste a car? 

That's why I was suggesting cancelling codes; given those circumstances you could have a spurious error.

3 minutes ago, Davedave said:

I guess anything is possible, it maybe the code just flagged up and just needs clearing down

8 hours ago, Russ77 said:

I guess anything is possible, it maybe the code just flagged up and just needs clearing down

10 hours ago, Skoffski said:

Welcome.

Sorry no idea, i have a 2 1/2 year old TDI with 45,000 miles on it that gets driven in a spirited manner, and is now not only doing regens lots but after a few shorts trips or starting up in cold weather has the DPF light on for 15 miles now regularly.

I scanned it at a mechanic and he told me it gave him an unknown error code 06744. His recommendations was to go to volkswagen herself. 

• Sad 1

On 08/02/2019 at 23:51, Davedave said:

I scanned it at a mechanic and he told me it gave him an unknown error code 06744. His recommendations was to go to volkswagen herself. 

That may be a comment on the mechanic's scanner. Try putting the code into the RossTech wiki.

• 1 month later...
On 08/02/2019 at 13:57, Davedave said:

I went to a ski resort in cold winter conditions in my volkswagon 2012 tdi and I accidentally left the light on all day. I ended up getting a booste from someone and made it home alright. The next day around mid day my dpf light went on. I was confused becuase how could there be soot build up if I just went on a 2 hour drive going at a high speed just the day before. I went for a drive on the highway to clear it but nothing. There are no signs of any dpf failure but active regen is turning on once in a while now when I start it. It's been a week since the dpf light went on and ive tried many trips on the highways and unplugging my battery. Any help is much appreciated, thanks! 

FWIW ... anything that can cause the car to run rich can clog the DPF, and overwhelm the normal cleaning cycle. Air leaks on the pressurised side of the induction system, clogged EGR system or leaky injectors for example. 

Edited by digifish

Continuing to drive the car with the DPF light on is not going to end well.

Take it to a garage equipped with VCDS to scan the car for fault codes. The 06744 code is from a generic code reader and is of no use.

If you keep driving the car it will drop into limp-home-mode and your options will become limited.