Ambient lighting and virtual cockpit

Hello everyone, I couldn't find a question for my answer so I decided to post here, I hope I didn't post in the wrong section.

I recently bought new Skoda Octavia 2.0 2018 and I was wondering if you could additionally integrate(add) ambient lighting and virtual cockpit or it has to be done in production. 

Thank you :) 

3 hours ago, trimata said:

You can integrate virtual cockpit, but you have the have navigation or at least bolero.

There is a thread about it.

Would you be so kind to link me that thread?

I have retrofitted the virtual cockpit into my 2014 vRS and added MIB2.5 Columbus. If you want to do it right you’ll need a navigation unit, as you have a 2018 it’ll be MIB2.5 Amundsen or Columbus if you have it already and both of these will work as they have the MOST connection. If you don’t have nav then it will still work but you also won’t get image transfer to the VC, so album art etc won’t go over either. You may have the correct CAN Gateway as you have a 2018 car, but you may need to upgrade this to a higher spec one to support the install. You will also need a new set of 2019 steering wheel controls with the VIEW button. Ambient lighting can be done too, you need a BCM High replacement and then thousands of lines of coding to get it going on the radio and cluster. To get the strips in the doors you will also need new door controllers.

Nothing is impossible, but the cost of doing that will be massive. You will also need to make friends with someone with an online copy of ODIS, as without that you can’t make any progress.

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

I have retrofitted the virtual cockpit into my 2014 vRS and added MIB2.5 Columbus. If you want to do it right you’ll need a navigation unit, as you have a 2018 it’ll be MIB2.5 Amundsen or Columbus if you have it already and both of these will work as they have the MOST connection. If you don’t have nav then it will still work but you also won’t get image transfer to the VC, so album art etc won’t go over either. You may have the correct CAN Gateway as you have a 2018 car, but you may need to upgrade this to a higher spec one to support the install. You will also need a new set of 2019 steering wheel controls with the VIEW button. Ambient lighting can be done too, you need a BCM High replacement and then thousands of lines of coding to get it going on the radio and cluster. To get the strips in the doors you will also need new door controllers.

Nothing is impossible, but the cost of doing that will be massive. You will also need to make friends with someone with an online copy of ODIS, as without that you can’t make any progress.

Do you mind me asking what sort of money it cost to fit virtual cockpit.  Also have you any pics?

I have the virtual cockpit and am really starting to loath it. 

Too much faffing around to do the most simple of tasks like resetting the trip mileage, it has also lost a couple of the radio station logos and for a considerable amount of time muted the radio no matter what I did until I managed somehow by trial and error to get it back. 

Basically I think that sometimes the simple things are the best. 

Out of interest what do you use the trip for so regularly? Mine never gets touched because between the since start, since refuel and long term pages on the infotainment, I can't think of any other circumstance I'd need a specific mileage count. 

• Like 1

Just now, SashaGrace said:

To be fair the trip reset it only a couple more steps then pressing the button, you go to driving data, then scroll to Trip and hold OK. It’s a bit of a faff but not the end of the world considering the features on offer.

I just think it's a let down. Some so called screens are just blank with a tiny mph on it, others cluttered.

I guess the novelty value has worn right off only to be replaced by a feeling of being completely underwhelmed by it. 

And I still can't understand how it locked me out of my radio for the best part of an hour this morning, not even an attempted radio reset would bring the volume back, the radio station disappeared from it, the phone wouldn't show or connect. I was completely incommunicado! 

17 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

I reset it every time I refuel, then I use it to measure trips that are unusually routed rather than a "standard" route or if diverted from a "standard" route. 

But surely the 'since start' and 'since refuel' pages give you this info and more? 

No. That just gives me an overview of all.

I like to know how many miles a diversion is over a standard route that I know the mileage of, also I like to know for reference if I go off beaten track like diversions off the A303 via Allington Track, Porton & through the sticks back out onto the A36 and such like.

Always useful.

I don't really see how the trip function helps still - if you know you're on a 50 mile trip, get diverted and by the end of the trip the since start page says 60 miles, surely that's enough to tell you it was an extra 10 miles? 

I think I've only ever pressed the trip button in mine once, I can see why they dropped it, it serves such a minimal function given the info available in the rest of the on board computer. 

Edited by Kenai

11 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

I reset it every time I refuel, then I use it to measure trips that are unusually routed rather than a "standard" route or if diverted from a "standard" route. 

Do you not get similar options under the car menu from the radio.  Mine has a since refuel, since journey beginning and long term fuel data (time, mpg, miles etc).

22 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

You will also need a new set of 2019 steering wheel controls with the VIEW button

@SashaGrace I see from the pictures you did not change the buttons. Is it mandatory? or the Phone button works as the view? and just for display purposes needs to be changed? Any issues controlling the phone or now you have to go within the menus? 

Edited by ccosmin

It’s not mandatory, but you do lose some functionality. The main thing is not being able to browse a nav destination on the steering wheel. The phone button works to answer the phone but you don’t need it because when a call comes through the VC displays options to scroll through with the right steering wheel control to accept or hang up etc. No MY19 Octavia’s come with the phone button anymore, just the VIEW button even with a Maxidot. So in a nutshell, you don’t need to change the buttons but you do lose some functionality.

13 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

I like to know how many miles a diversion is over a standard route that I know the mileage of, also I like to know for reference if I go off beaten track like diversions off the A303 via Allington Track, Porton & through the sticks back out onto the A36 and such like.

Always useful.

Can appreciate anyone wanting to know that information out of curiosity but my challenge to you is to explain why it's useful? :giggle:  

But for what it's worth I agree with you on digital dashboards. They seem to answer a question I've never thought of asking.

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

Can appreciate anyone wanting to know that information out of curiosity but my challenge to you is to explain why it's useful? :giggle:  

But for what it's worth I agree with you on digital dashboards. They seem to answer a question I've never thought of asking.

Because it is, always useful because I can then calculate mentally what time I can get to my destination should I be diverted (something I'm pretty good at), also roughly how much extra fuel cost it will add to the journey.

Also if it's useful diversion I can then cross reference it to a good old fashioned paper map or run it through Google maps street view to double check to see if I can improve on it and then reduce the miles some more.

And if you think it's odd about time, I can often calculate & recalculate arrival times at work to within seconds accuracy, which is rather scary to some folk.

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Confused 1