Ambient lighting and virtual cockpit

12 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Because it is, always useful because I can then calculate mentally what time I can get to my destination should I be diverted (something I'm pretty good at), also roughly how much extra fuel cost it will add to the journey.

Also if it's useful diversion I can then cross reference it to a good old fashioned paper map or run it through Google maps street view to double check to see if I can improve on it and then reduce the miles some more.

And if you think it's odd about time, I can often calculate & recalculate arrival times at work to within seconds accuracy, which is rather scary to some folk.

I was going to reply then thought I'd check it wasn't April 1st already  :D

1.How many diversions do you encounter?

2. To know the distance you'd first have to take the diversion. And if you've taken the diversion you know how much extra time it takes. Nope I'm still confused why you need to know the distance.

3. How much extra fuel it costs - FFS how long are these diversions?

4. You go to all that trouble with google maps and paper maps etc  yet you started off complaining about taking a few secs searching the dashboard menu for the tripometer?  :wall:

Was just in my main Skoda Dealer here in Ireland picking up my RS 230 from a service, I had asked them when I dropped it in to investigate if Skoda were in fact officially doing their retro fitting. Good news is that Skoda is officially doing these retro fits.

However the bad news is that you will need Amundsen fitted, all the virtual cockpit items, wiring coding and then some. Totally possible but the price they quoted me was €5K +

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

I was going to reply then thought I'd check it wasn't April 1st already  :D

1.How many diversions do you encounter?

2. To know the distance you'd first have to take the diversion. And if you've taken the diversion you know how much extra time it takes. Nope I'm still confused why you need to know the distance.

3. How much extra fuel it costs - FFS how long are these diversions?

4. You go to all that trouble with google maps and paper maps etc  yet you started off complaining about taking a few secs searching the dashboard menu for the tripometer?  :wall:

1. Quite a few due to the ineptitude of Highways England, councils & the utility companies.

2. I really want to know. For reference.

3. The last long one was 30+ miles over Exmoor to do a 7 mile journey to Porlock.

4. I like paper maps at home, it gives me a much better overview, once I look and I can then see more detail, I look for things most people don't look for and that way I can actually work things out much more quickly and accurately that a sat nav which is programmed, I use local knowledge.

Hampshire, Surrey & West Somerset is where it really comes into play.

I stand by what I've said that the virtual cockpit is pretty, but underwhelming and not worth the £400 price attached to it, the old analogue dials are nicer. 

If they want to impress me, then fit a doppler digital speedo.

Edited by TheWanderer

At least now you know not to bother speccing it next time, I suppose...

I sort of understand what you’re getting at but I personally still can’t understand the need to regularly/continually reset the trip counter, because I can’t understand what you gain from it. But each to their own. If anything, it makes me feel a bit less geeky for the spreadsheet I update weekly with mileage and fuel fill ups that calculates various things for me, so thanks! :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, maffyou said:

At least now you know not to bother speccing it next time, I suppose...

I sort of understand what you’re getting at but I personally still can’t understand the need to regularly/continually reset the trip counter, because I can’t understand what you gain from it. But each to their own. If anything, it makes me feel a bit less geeky for the spreadsheet I update weekly with mileage and fuel fill ups that calculates various things for me, so thanks! :thumbup:

I doubt there'll be a next time. But knowing my luck if there's a next time it'll be standard equipment! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 19/02/2019 at 12:16, SashaGrace said:

It’s not mandatory, but you do lose some functionality. The main thing is not being able to browse a nav destination on the steering wheel. The phone button works to answer the phone but you don’t need it because when a call comes through the VC displays options to scroll through with the right steering wheel control to accept or hang up etc. No MY19 Octavia’s come with the phone button anymore, just the VIEW button even with a Maxidot. So in a nutshell, you don’t need to change the buttons but you do lose some functionality.

Hrrr, very hard to find the buttons for heating/DSG paddles and VIEW mode :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 19/02/2019 at 09:33, ccosmin said:

You will also need a new set of 2019 steering wheel controls with the VIEW button

@SashaGrace do you know the product codes for the steering wheel controls with view button