windscreen washer liquid

Leyland

i have had my octy for about six months now, and i'm still using the original liquid in the container for the windscreen washer, that came with the car, hehe.

Since it is about to finish now, are there any particular recommendations and what brands to use? I don't like to clog the sprayer, since the it sprays out fine droplets and seems easy to clog.

Does skoda recommend a particular brand for the liquid? anything else you found good?

thanks

g

lol... i tend to wash all the car, rather than just the windscreen... and that happens every two weeks or something like that. anyway, does not rain that often here :P

Editted to say...: now since you change it so often, and have had no problems so far, any particular brands you recommend, or are they all good?

Does skoda recommend a particular brand for the liquid? anything else you found good?

Apparently there is a VAG spec for the washer additive. Any VW/Audi/Skoda dealer should be able to supply. From what I have read on Briskoda, it doesn't seem to be that much more expensive than decent off-the-shelf screenwash, but I haven't tried it myself. I think it has to be "low-foam" in order not to block/damage the fan jets (or so they say).

The sprayers use a different kind of screenwash (more liquid) than the jets. Ask big k or stopan1j about it...

IIRC, big k got quite evangelical about the stuff. I'll see if I can find the thread... talk amongst yourselves.

Leyland,

Go to your Skoda dealer (or any VW / Audi dealer) and ask them for Screenwash fluid for FanJet washers.

I was sceptical about this stuff, but i took BigK's word for it and gave it a go, it IS a lot better than the stuff you buy in carparts stores etc, and cheaper ;)

Only thing is, my wiper blades are cr*p...gotta get some new ones :rolleyes:

I was sceptical about this stuff, but i took BigK's word for it and gave it a go, it IS a lot better than the stuff you buy in carparts stores etc, and cheaper ;)

and it smells nice too :D

Leyland' date='

Go to your Skoda dealer (or any VW / Audi dealer) and ask them for Screenwash fluid for FanJet washers.

Only thing is, my wiper blades are cr*p...gotta get some new ones :rolleyes:[/quote']

You weren't sceptical, you were lobbying against Skoda dealer extortiate pricing!

You can borrow my hat ;)

You weren't sceptical' date=' you were lobbying against Skoda dealer extortiate pricing!

You can borrow my hat ;)[/quote']

Q,

I stand by my assertion that their price for "1 cap full" of screenwash was a rip-off, particularly in cases where the rest of the bottle is not passed on to the customer :)

PLease keep your hat, you need it to keep the bald patch warm :D

I was sceptical about this stuff' date=' but i took BigK's word for it and gave it a go, it IS a lot better than the stuff you buy in carparts stores etc, and cheaper ;)

and it smells nice too :D[/quote']

So, big k, if both you and Denis are right - you like the smell of hospitals?!? ;)

But i like alot the original smell of the additive that came with the car from the factory.
Should be the same stuff - but I am NOT going out to my car in the rain and wind to have a sniff... :(

• 3 weeks later...

both skoda and vw dealers did not stock any kind of screenwash liquid. both told me that for skoda and vw you can use normal screenwash liquid. i bought autoglym screenwash liquid, suitable only for 0^C and above, so should be ok here since temperature never reach freezing. not many choices i found. i'll see how good it is.

Geoff, there's loads of salt in the air in Malta since it is surrounded by the sea. In winter I used to watch the waves pounding the shores there during the occasional storms and not worry about getting salt water all over my cars. That said, I will amend my advice to just using tap water like I did for the 3 years I lived there. (But I wouldn't continue using tap water in the radiator since engine design has changed since the 60s!) :)

I also lived in Gibraltar for 3 years and the roads there were washed down daily with salt water in the summer. I shudder to think what that would do to aluminium components in cars these days. :(