furby vrs black soot

adaadams

Of course I've noticed it! :( mumble, grumble, grumble, mumble. Needs to be cleaned once a day, but am leaving it as once a week. Too bleeding cold! ;)

Think I may be changing my back box eventually anyway, so may get them to angle it downwards slightly! :D

I don't like tailpipe trims because they can be a source of corrosion but, if soot is a problem, why not try fitting a tailpipe trim which diverts the exhaust flow downwards?

ill think youll find that its not just soot that ends up on the back window.. especially round this time of year.. its the typical problem on having a "wedge" shape car, creates a air-votex behind the car and sucks stuff into it.. doesnt matter if its soot, road dust or sand.. it all ends up on the back :)

besides.. i like the tailpipe, its the highlight of the back of the car :)

i managed to skin a Audi A4 1.8t.. dunno what bhp it was tho.. but you should have seen his face! he tried to block me overtaking him on a slip road, so i booted it after him, as the slip road went out onto the "private" mway ;) he tried to get past a passing car, i pulled out behind the car and into the outside lane and sailed past him!.. i love this car :D

Colin.

After looking at Dad's A3 catalogue that 1.8T Audi engine can come in 150 & 180 form. No offence to your little vRS, but if that A4 had been a 180HP one, it would have been at least equal, if not quicker than your car. However, a 150HP would IMO be slower due to the A4 being a much bigger car. (also I think the 150 is a lot more common, so more likely that's what you blew off) - Either way its very satisfying to get one over on the top marque brands, eh? :D

After some major testing.. courtesy of the Tyred Goat event at the weekend.. ive come to the conclusion, that the standard Furby vRS doesnt smoke much :D (apart from the tyres)

Jason.. i was going about 20mph faster than him to start with, and he might have been in the wrong gear, or not "giving it" - but the way he pulled out violently infront of me (across chevron section) indicates he wasnt too happy about me overtaking him. he started tailgating me, but i just wouldnt play as it was quite busy, and it would have ended up @ 1xx mph

Is it possible to remove the exhaust trim anyway or is it part of the back box?

From what i can see, its probably a trim, as it has an almost "standard" dual exit backbox behind it. if you really wanted you could hacksaw the pipes off and put new trims on facing downward.

Heard this third hand so not sure exactly how true?

Apparently all Skoda dealers have been asked to record digital images of the rear of every Fabia VRS when it passes through their workshops.

If this is correct it can only be down to this smoking problem but have they taken this action to try and get some evidence that it does smoke or to try and use as evidence that the car is ok? Only time will tell.

We have tuned quite a few diesels now (PD and TDi) and the VRS has to be the worst case ever (stock and chipped). The Ibiza 130 sport is identical engine and gearbox combination and this is fine as far as excessive smoke is concerned so the only explanation possible is the exhaust design.

We should be testing with the Fabia VRS again in a couple of weeks. I held off releasing any programs for this due to this very issue. Hopefully I will be able to cure some of the problem in a better software version.

PS....Do Skoda issue a digital camera as part of the workshop tool kit :confused:

Doesnt the PD 150 engine smoke more than the 130 anyway?... and i belive the Ibiza Cupra oilburner will have a straight exit exhaust too. i think its mostly the bodyshape of the furby that makes all the crap go on the back window, my old clio was the same.. both just basic wedge shapes.

LOL.. i was bouncin off the rev-limiter on most those runs. and also accellerating hard from idle on some too. besides.. whats wrong with a bit of soot? ive gotta beable to tell BMW drivers its a diesel somehow!!! :D

Its simple really.

You get more power out of a diesel by increasing fuel. Increase fuel and you get more soot, its a double edged sword.

NeoVR is correct in that the original complaint in this thread was soot on the back of the car. I notice alot of dirt on the back of the car as a whole but thats due to its shape.

Drive along in heavy rain and see how you actually need the rear wiper as the spray gets lifted up around the rear. This leaves dirt etc on the back of the car.

Admittedly a downwards exhaust may help but I really like the Cupra R style tailpipe, looks sporty :)

So I wonder if Skoda will change the tail pipe design by the time I pick up mine?

I'm hoping after a Jabba remap the fueling will be correctly matched to the boost pressure (Mine doesn't smoke too much with just the Jabba map at the moment)

So I wonder if Skoda will change the tail pipe design by the time I pick up mine?

I'm hoping after a Jabba remap the fueling will be correctly matched to the boost pressure (Mine doesn't smoke too much with just the Jabba map at the moment)

Oh hello.. we were just talking about you in IRC. :D - we were just commenting on your "smokescreen" of jabba + tuning box..

does the tuning box actually make any difference to the jabba?