Upgrading side mirrors to dynamic turn signal indicators

Good evening, 

I am a new Skoda owner after owning only Peugeot cars and I would not look back.

The car is a 3.6l VR6 Black Superb Combi FL (see picture).

Actually it was love at first sight ;-)

I have seen on the road what a difference dynamic turn indicators make.

There are some Chinese made products available online but as it is a core safety equipment, I am very reluctant to go this way.

There has been a video from OSRAM showcasing their product for the VW Golf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOnEBJszEqs

I find it pretty impressive and it is EU Certified which gives confidence in the product.

Googling for it, It seems it is going to be offered also for other cars, including the Passat B8.

http://lightistransformation.com/shop/produkt/osram-ledriving-dmi-dynamic-mirror-indicator

But it seems the side mirrors are different, maybe it is only the part where the turn signal indicator is located

which is the same for both cars.

Does anyone on the forum knows the answer or knows about reliable dynamic turn indicators solution for the SS2 FL ?

Thanks in advance,

Lionel

skoda-superb-break-2013-occasion_1.jpg

Both cars you've mentioned are the newer MQB platform where as a FL MK2 Superb is the older PQ35/46 platform. This means they are quite different electrically and given no other PQ35/46 cars were offered dynamic indicators, it's unlikely the Superb will be.

You're best bet it the Chinese versions or making you own, otherwise you could wait until you buy something newer ;)

9 hours ago, langers2k said:

Both cars you've mentioned are the newer MQB platform where as a FL MK2 Superb is the older PQ35/46 platform. This means they are quite different electrically and given no other PQ35/46 cars were offered dynamic indicators, it's unlikely the Superb will be.

You're best bet it the Chinese versions or making you own, otherwise you could wait until you buy something newer ;)

OK, thanks a lot. It seems not possible without going the China way.

• 2 weeks later...

It is just a strip of leds turning on in sequence - doesn't have to be "integrated" in any way with car's electrical nor control systems.

Edited by jafo

• 11 months later...

So, after ordering the ones linked above in the thread, they  were clearly unfit for the S2, totally different form factor 😞

I found these ones,
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000947991496.html

The numbers : 
LH- 3T0 949 101 RH- 3T0 949 102 match these ones (#21) from the online ETKA
http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_si...941/subcategory/941040/part_id/2551797/lang/e

so it seems finally a workable solution :-)

Will likely give them a try.

Has anyone been lucky retrofitting dynamic turn signals ?

I would be interested in how these will work. As far as I know the indicators are only powered for a short time normally. Will that period of power be sufficient for these dynamic indicators to light up all the way across?

1 minute ago, Liger1956 said:

Will that period of power be sufficient for these dynamic indicators to light up all the way across?

I would hope so, they are specifically designed for these cars so I'd hope they took that into consideration ;)

There suddenly seems to be lots on aliexpress, cheapest I saw were these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000947315058.html

I'm amazed there isn't a youtube clip of them...

2 hours ago, Liger1956 said:

I remember this member having problems with fitting dynamic rear indicators.

But that's a generic product rather than something designed for a specific car. The latest links for the dynamic indicators will only fit the FL MK2 Octavia and MK2 Superb. If they don't work with these vehicles, there is literally no point in them being made ;)

That being said, it's not clear if they fit both the pre-FL and FL MK2 Superbs as I'm not sure if the wing mirror/indicator design changed or not? I'm sure we'll find out if LBLJ buys some.

I'm half tempted but not sure I like the smoked look...

So I did order them . There are many sellers but it seems they are all offering the very same items which is not surprising giving the fact that they are mainly resellers and not manufacturer.

To be on the safe side, as the cost is pretty low , 3 models from 3 different sources have been ordered to confirm/infirm this hypothesis and also to mitigate a potential short product 

lifetime.

They should arrive by the end of the month, thus early June we will know if they indeed fit the FL model.

As for Pre FL and Post FL, all I can say, is that according to the online ETKA, on oemepc.com is that for 2011 CZ Model (thus European pre FL)

the references are :

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/SUP/year/2011/drive_standart/632/hg_ug/941/subcategory/941040/part_id/2551797/lang/e

3T0949101 and 3T0949102

which are the same as for the FL model:

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/parts_lst/markt/CZ/modell/SUP/year/2014/hg/9/catalog/sk/drive_standart/768/lang/e

Also 3T0949101 and 3T0949102 

This information is still to be taken with a grain of salt because information provided by the site on the assumption that all information is correctly recorded in their database.

Time will tell if it fits the FL. As per pre-FL models, someone has to give it a try.

Any volunteer to take the plunge on a  pre FL model ?

Edited by LBLJ
  • Thanks 1

Well i've taken a punt and ordered for my 2011 so will see if they work too. I have one or two missing lights on the current indicators so had looked a few times for these

Looking at the videos, they are a fairly fast light up so seem to be as long as a normal indicator so hoping they work ok

Ps will also give me an excuse to finally swap the puddle / down lights to led too

Edited by a666andy

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested, mine arrived today, fitted and working. The electrical contacts seem a little loose as they are thinner on these indicators, but a little bending of contacts of the plug (from the car) made it a bit better and the only way to get them working for mine.

I purchased these ones

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000947315058.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3ac14c4dq5ZifH

On 12/05/2020 at 18:48, LBLJ said:

So I did order them . There are many sellers but it seems they are all offering the very same items which is not surprising giving the fact that they are mainly resellers and not manufacturer.

To be on the safe side, as the cost is pretty low , 3 models from 3 different sources have been ordered to confirm/infirm this hypothesis and also to mitigate a potential short product 

lifetime.

They should arrive by the end of the month, thus early June we will know if they indeed fit the FL model.

As for Pre FL and Post FL, all I can say, is that according to the online ETKA, on oemepc.com is that for 2011 CZ Model (thus European pre FL)

the references are :

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/SUP/year/2011/drive_standart/632/hg_ug/941/subcategory/941040/part_id/2551797/lang/e

3T0949101 and 3T0949102

which are the same as for the FL model:

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/parts_lst/markt/CZ/modell/SUP/year/2014/hg/9/catalog/sk/drive_standart/768/lang/e

Also 3T0949101 and 3T0949102 

This information is still to be taken with a grain of salt because information provided by the site on the assumption that all information is correctly recorded in their database.

Time will tell if it fits the FL. As per pre-FL models, someone has to give it a try.

Any volunteer to take the plunge on a  pre FL model ?

I'm holding out to see if @LBLJ can get them to fit the FL model

I wait for them to arrive.

Understood for the connector size.

Quick question about the dynamic light effect is it as fast as on the videos or is it a tad slower ?

1 hour ago, LBLJ said:

I wait for them to arrive.

Understood for the connector size.

Quick question about the dynamic light effect is it as fast as on the videos or is it a tad slower ?

Looks about as quick as their video, certainly not slower.

As earlier discussions on another thread I think, probably has to be that quick so you get full sweep on the current relay timing. Else then you have a wing mirrow still sweeping while front and back indicators have turned off, or not a full sweep.

• 4 weeks later...

Did retrofitted them today, also took the opportunity to replace the puddle lights by LED ones.

In terms of ease of installation, a breeze with the left one. A little bit more difficult with the right one.

The effect is much better for real than on the phone recorded movie (because of the phone camera sampling rate).

It really makes a big difference. 

A very short clip so you can have a feel.

Thus happy to confirm it also fits the S2 FL

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I did the swap on my car today. What I've noticed is that on the light car colours, the new lights black base colour better complements the car as opposed to the genuine indicators clear plastic (makes it better looking and more in sync with the wing mirror black base).

IMAG1900.jpg

IMAG1908.jpg

IMAG1909.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/07/2020 at 20:21, vborovic said:

the new lights black base colour better complements the car as opposed to the genuine indicators clear plastic (makes it better looking and more in sync with the wing mirror black base).

I have ordered some and my S2 looks to be the same colour as yours, they look great! Much nicer I agree!!! Cheers for the pics.