Over pressurised coolant system??

2 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

I would tell you what to do with Haynes manual but my comment would be filtered... 🤐

haha yes, I have seen your thoughts on that in some of your other posts ;)

Were you aware of the main cooling fan kicking in at any time? 

Another thing to make sure of is that the reservoir cap itself isn't letting pressurised coolant out. This is a problem on the Felicia, not sure about the Favorit. 

Just now, HeavyMetalRich said:

Were you aware of the main cooling fan kicking in at any time? 

Another thing to make sure of is that the reservoir cap itself isn't letting pressurised coolant out. This is a problem on the Felicia, not sure about the Favorit. 

Cooling fan did not kick in....not sure it was hot enough

Cap was not fitted at time. Coolant doesn't go high in reservoir, or blow past cap, when cap is on even after long run

• Like 1

Just now, wesacosa said:

Cooling fan did not kick in....not sure it was hot enough

Cap was not fitted at time. Coolant doesn't go high in reservoir, or blow past cap, when cap is on even after long run

Yeah it probably wouldn't have been hot enough for the fan to activate even when the coolant was boiling out. 

That's all very good then, doesn't sound like you have much to worry about there. If the coolant level does continue to drop a little after long runs, have a look around the cap and check for coolant colour or white "salt" deposits. That will tell you that the cap seal is old and you just need to get a new cap.

I did replace the cap, along with the rad, thermostat, hoses , temp senders and coolant itself. got a 50 mile run planned tomorrow morning. hopefully that should confirm either way!

Edited by wesacosa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

Never heard of a Felicia reservoir cap that let coolant out at 1 atmosphere of pressure. They open at higher pressure as designed when the cooling system is not working properly.

10 hours ago, wesacosa said:

I did replace the cap, along with the rad, thermostat, hoses , temp senders and coolant itself. got a 50 mile run planned tomorrow morning. hopefully that should confirm either way!

Well again, it appears you have nothing to worry about on the system side. Enjoy the run.

See how the coolant level is after that again.

And @RicardoM, the seal when aged does release pressure too early. My Felicia used to lose coolant occasionally after a not too long run. I replaced the cap and that stopped.

7 minutes ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

Well again, it appears you have nothing to worry about on the system side. Enjoy the run.

See how the coolant level is after that again.

And @RicardoM, the seal when aged does release pressure too early. My Felicia used to lose coolant occasionally after a not too long run. I replaced the cap and that stopped.

Only worry left on cooling side is head gasket!!

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Check for residual pressure in the expansion tank when the engine is stone cold.

Had been keeping an eye on that , all seems to be ok on that front.

Pretty sure it was just getting a bit hot with no cap fitted, just a little surprised 15-20 mins of idling got it so hot. 

5 minutes ago, Wino said:

Is the water pump original?

no idea to be honest. can't find evidence of a replacement.  coolant seems to circulate ok though and runs at reasonable gauge temperature