Yeti space saver spare wheel

Johnsculp

Hello

I decided to buy a spacesaver and raised floor for the Yeti 4x4. On advice from the supplier Caffyns the steel wheel is 16" but alloys on car are 17". So a difference in size - Will this present any issues for the car if ever used to replace a flat - albeit temporarily.

Can anyone reassure me on this, thanks

John

Thanks for the replies, in the meantime I have spoken to the supplier Caffyns - they said the kits have come from Skoda and will be fine to run temporarily until a repair is undertaken on the 17"

The tyres on 17" alloys on the Yeti at moment are 225/50ZR17 and on steel 16" spacesaver is a 195/60R16.

Of interest to me I came across a post which had a link to comparative tyre sizes and input the normal alloy size of 17" against the space saver 16" the result attached - a discrepancy 0f 2.5%+ and was not recommended. A better spare tyre to run on the 16" steel wheel it suggests (amongst many other combinations)  is a 205/60 16" .  https://alloywheels.com/tyreCalculator

I will stick with what I have though.

Roll on............

tyres comparison.png

Here's a theory of mine as to why you should stick with the Skoda recommended spare size;

Your spare will be hopefully unworn..

Your road wheels will be worn. If they are are half worn they will have lost about 3mm of tread. That equates (I think) to 6mm x 3.142 (D x pi) or about 18.5mm reduction in circumference of a new tyre. So your half worn road wheels will have a circumference of about 638.3mm - or only 0.3% error compared with your new spare? In other words the spare's diameter is chosen to be similar to that of a half worn road wheel.

I stand to be corrected though....

Edited by muddyjim
  • Like 1

Yes good points, a full size 17" 225 wheel would not fit into the foam surround and would elevate the shelf too much. Installed the kit this evening with the 16" and shelf kit - its flush with boot cill, lost some space but happier with a spare wheel on board.

fullsizeoutput_23b9.jpeg

IMG_3571.JPG

• Like 2