Is it worth getting a SIM?

11 minutes ago, ajordan said:

I usually toggle on wifi tether on my phone to make the globe white but a few months back it stopped turning white but stayed red. Not that I really used it for anything really but I was annoyed so I have removed WLAN and added again that seem to cure the issue and my globe turns white again shortly after I toggle tether on my mobile.

Mine's using the SIM card and not a phone though.

2 hours ago, john999boy said:

Recently there appears to have been problems (or so I thought) with Connect and the globe hasn't been going white suggesting a network problem.

Tonight however the Columbus started showing the Connect traffic data but the globe still hadn't changed to white.

Weird! Maybe some sort of reset is required?

Mine has similar issues from time to time. I find that ejecting the SIM card for 30 seconds, then re-inserting it usually cures the problem.

Edited by bigmick9445

26 minutes ago, bigmick9445 said:

Mine has similar issues from time to time. I find that ejecting the SIM card for 30 seconds, then re-inserting it usually cures the problem.

I did try that earlier and that's how I noticed the traffic 'issues' disappearing from the screen.

Re-inserting the SIM and they eventually came back but without the white globe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2019 at 17:16, ajordan said:

Thank you @john999boy will give it a go too! I love my Android Auto especially voice control is so much better but there is very little to loose by checking out this option too :)

Got the free SIM delivered in 2 days last Tuesday but registration page did not work. After 2 days of keep failing I sent ThreeUKSupport a tweet message that they picked up and after 5 more days notified me about the fix - registration successful :)

Still not sure what regular use can I make out of this SIM card really but at least My Skoda app on my phone automatically recognized my car without entering VIN when connected via mobile hotspot and downloaded bunch of details about my car into My Skoda app also.

Just out of curiosity will check a few times how real time traffic information presented by built in navigation compares to Google Maps and share experience over here.

• Like 1

Hi,

I had the same problem trying to get the SIM to register for the free 200MB so contacted support who said they had done it for me but is there any way to check? They also gave me a free 1GB of data 🙂

John

4 minutes ago, jjc said:

Hi,

I had the same problem trying to get the SIM to register for the free 200MB so contacted support who said they had done it for me but is there any way to check? They also gave me a free 1GB of data 🙂

John

Plug it in your Skoda and check ;)

8 minutes ago, jjc said:

I had the same problem trying to get the SIM to register for the free 200MB so contacted support who said they had done it for me but is there any way to check? They also gave me a free 1GB of data 

🙂

Your online Three account will show you. :thumbup:

On 13/11/2019 at 22:59, ajordan said:

Got the free SIM delivered in 2 days last Tuesday but registration page did not work. After 2 days of keep failing I sent ThreeUKSupport a tweet message that they picked up and after 5 more days notified me about the fix - registration successful :)

Still not sure what regular use can I make out of this SIM card really but at least My Skoda app on my phone automatically recognized my car without entering VIN when connected via mobile hotspot and downloaded bunch of details about my car into My Skoda app also.

Just out of curiosity will check a few times how real time traffic information presented by built in navigation compares to Google Maps and share experience over here.

Did a few school runs without Android Auto and the virtual cockpit is quite nicely showing jammed lanes also. Wondering what system Skoda uses and if my status also contributes to the understanding of the jammed lanes real time. It is a pity that the voice AI is so poor in Skoda - I could not make a single hit with it yet but this is another topic...

One other feature that I was quite amazed about already before I inserted the SIM card is that I could find my car in a car park by remotely making it honk & flash using the Skoda Connect app. This suggests that there is a SIM card already built in for this purpose on top of the possible SIM card that can be inserted on top. Wondering if this means actually that there are two LTE radios also built into the car... I guess we are not too far away from self driving car but this is yet another topic...