How to remove Pet/dog smell from the car

automass

On 29/03/2020 at 03:25, sakta said:

I’m surprised no ones mentioned it - you can buy a cheap ozone generator on eBay or amazon. Professional, very expensive cleaners will charge a big fee to use one, but it’s much cheaper and economical to buy your own and use it whenever need be!

I am owning an air purifier for long time now. I sometime use it but dont know whether it really works or not. I bought it from ebay, not the cheap one though. it was almost £30 when i bought couple of years ago.

The dog smell has been absorbed into the soft furnishings i.e. the carpets, seats and headlining.

Onions, vinegar, coffee, air freshener, rubber floor mats, all they're doing is masking the dog smell.

The advice earlier to have the interior of the car properly cleaned using a wet vacuum that uses water to actually wash away the smell is the only long term fix. Other than fire of course.

The smell is still there, it's just that you've either temporarily masked it, or are slowly getting used to it.

If you're a taxi driver, ask your passengers what they can smell.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The advice earlier to have the interior of the car properly cleaned using a wet vacuum that uses water to actually wash away the smell is the only long term fix. Other than fire of course.

I wouldn't even go that far to begin with

Fill up a bucket with warm water, get some fabric/carpet/seat cleaner and actually clean the car.

I know this sounds absolutely absurd, but I've had it work before.

• Like 1

^^^^ Well not a lot of difference really..........not that I can see anyway.

The wet vac part just helps dry it much quicker.

@silver1011

Onion or coal (better is charcoal) is not to mask smells, it is to absorb smells and then you dispose of the onion or coal.

You should not be smelling onion or coal.

Like with charcoal insoles for shoes, use and then dispose of.

The wet vac is taking away the dirty water and with it hopefully some of the smell.

Washing with detergent and getting some dirty water but letting some just dry is hardly '#simply clever'. 

If some maybe did some car refinishing and valeting to earn money they might get more with what is what.

Remember that detergent is also a water wetter, and not getting out detergent then attracts dirt, like you see with a badly 'washed / wet vacced carpet'. 

Clean for a while then worse than it was originally soon enough.

Rinsing with clean water and removing is important.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tilt said:

^^^^ Well not a lot of difference really..........not that I can see anyway.

The wet vac part just helps dry it much quicker.

Loads of difference, getting somebody to wet vac costs money, and cleaning it yourself is free.

1 hour ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

The wet vac is taking away the dirty water and with it hopefully some of the smell.

Washing with detergent and getting some dirty water but letting some just dry is hardly '#simply clever'. 

If some maybe did some car refinishing and valeting to earn money they might get more with what is what.

Remember that detergent is also a water wetter, and not getting out detergent then attracts dirt, like you see with a badly 'washed / wet vacced carpet'. 

Clean for a while then worse than it was originally soon enough.

Rinsing with clean water and removing is important.

^^^^For Superb^^^^.........couldn't have put it better myself Root, thanks.

I was speaking as I used to have a wet vac (until the motor packed up) so fair point regarding costing money if you (they) aint got one....

1 hour ago, Tilt said:

^^^^For Superb^^^^.........couldn't have put it better myself Root, thanks.

I was speaking as I used to have a wet vac (until the motor packed up) so fair point regarding costing money if you (they) aint got one....

I have got a VAX wet vac, and it is isn't bad, but its not the only way to clean a car. Washing the car with soap and water cannot get you in a worse situation than just not cleaning it at all and is better than wasting money on air fresheners and other sprays.

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Haha 1

I find the smell is in the Air Con system as said before replace pollen fillter .
I use Mann FreciousPlus 

And an air con cleaner from Euro that goes off like a bomb and cleans the pipe works of air flow where a lot of smells harbour

4 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Never assume anything,  Some really require Guide Dogs for the stupid. 

They certainly can make a right crap job of using soap and water in cars and getting H20 where the sun don't shine and electrics / connectors / motors live.

and a wet vac doesn't use water? There will be more water saturated into a car interior with a wet vac than a damp cloth bottle of Mr Muscle.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

There will be more water saturated into a car interior with a wet vac than a damp cloth bottle of Mr Muscle.

But a decent vac, mine was a Numatic will suck the water straight back out again, along with the muck and smell.........and make a really nice job.

I used to use it for professional valeting. I still use it as a vac, but not the wet part as the motor seized up, and at around £70 to replace, was a little too much,

IMO A lot better than a damp cloth, sponge, soap and water, even if Mr Motivator is using his Muscles.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1