Wifes touran 2.0l tdi starting

Vfr400boy

Yesterday had a phone call from the wife saying car wont start the batt is flat so I set off to her she rung me back to tell me its started now and is fine 

This morning i checked it   it sounded like a flat battery ( batt is only 4 months old ) I tryed it again and started fine ? 

It's a 10plate 2.0l 140bhp 

Could it be the starter ? 

8 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

4 month old battery going flat suggests that something is drawing current - which is what you need to investigate.

But it's not flat after trying to start it a few times  it comes back to life and spins starter up no problem ( sorry I did not explain it right ) 

But it sounds and acts like a car with a flat battery then all of a sudden starts no bother ? 

15 hours ago, Vfr400boy said:

But it's not flat after trying to start it a few times  it comes back to life and spins starter up no problem ( sorry I did not explain it right ) 

But it sounds and acts like a car with a flat battery then all of a sudden starts no bother ? 

OK, with that info I would guess you may have a dodgy connection, are the battery terminals loose or are there any signs of corrosion around the battery terminals or the ground lead(s)?

3 hours ago, Vfr400boy said:

I will check all leads n grounds tonight thank you ,, is they a ground wire on the starter its self ? 

Not normally from the starter but somewhere on the engine block.

So iv cleaned all the earth points I could see 2 big ones 2 small ones and the positive on the selinod on the starter 

They all seemed clean and rust free the starter is a bit rusty but nothing unusual,  

But the car is still pretending to have a flat battery? 

On 01/03/2020 at 15:51, Vfr400boy said:

So today I had a few hours spear and decided to pull the starter motor off and clean it all back on now and turns the car over loads faster starts instantly! 

Which probably means that you managed to clean the power and earth cable connectors, and maybe cleaned carbon dust out of the armature!

• Like 1