Registration plate screws?

emdotdee

I’m trying to change the registration plate screws on my 2012 Fabia but I’m having a nightmare. They are so rusted the things are crumbling apart and I just can’t get them out.
They don’t really have any cross or a slot so I’m wondering if they are some kind of pop rivet fitting?  They won’t budge and won’t turn even if I grip with pliers! Looking from the the other side of the boot they seem to be attached to a plastic piece that is locked in place. 

Anyone got any ideas? I reckon if I drill it out ill

make a big mess of it. 

A81F42D4-8C2F-4E92-BECB-57B9BC25B0BA.jpeg

2F3E1B92-978C-40E4-B2C3-ECAC5C1237BD.jpeg

Drill the remaining head with a left hand flute cobalt drill & they will back out when they get warm.

Or a standard drill bit but larger than the head, this will blunten due to the hardened head & rust and generate a lot of heat without drilling off the screw head, this is exactly what you want, the heat will soften the plastic & you will be able to pull the plate off leaving access to get a good grip on the screw head.

The new screw cap retaining washer will be big enough to cover the enlarged hole in the number plate allowing you to re-use it.

The dealers use unplated mild steel screws when they PDI the cars & fit the plates, the cover caps ensure they live their life in a bath of water & road salt, those on my 5 year old Yeti were far worse than yours, I removed them with the above procedure and used stainless screws to replace them.

Edited by J.R.

2 hours ago, welder1 said:

Will these not just tap out into boot if you use a small screw driver and hammer .

Possibly but the plastic on the other side felt solid so I can’t tell how they’d pop out. I’ve googled and can’t see anything similar. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Drill the remaining head with a left hand flute cobalt drill & they will back out when they get warm.

Or a standard drill bit but larger than the head, this will blunten due to the hardened head & rust and generate a lot of heat without drilling off the screw head, this is exactly what you want, the heat will soften the plastic & you will be able to pull the plate off leaving access to get a good grip on the screw head.

The new screw cap retaining washer will be big enough to cover the enlarged hole in the number plate allowing you to re-use it.

The dealers use unplated mild steel screws when they PDI the cars & fit the plates, the cover caps ensure they live their life in a bath of water & road salt, those on my 5 year old Yeti were far worse than yours, I removed them with the above procedure and used stainless screws to replace them.

Thanks for the reply, I haven’t got any fancy drill bits so I’m most likely going to have to go for the 2nd option of drilling the head off first. 

So these are a pain. I’ve been able to get a better grip of the “screw” head but if I turn it the white plastic bit turns as well. 

if I grip the plastic bit the screw won’t turn. Wish I’d never started messing with it. 

2 minutes ago, emdotdee said:

So these are a pain. I’ve been able to get a better grip of the “screw” head but if I turn it the white plastic bit turns as well. 

if I grip the plastic bit the screw won’t turn. Wish I’d never started messing with it. 

It’s ok. I finally just got my act together gripped both bits and it unscrewed. What an idiot.